#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I doubt these definitive editions are tying up entire dev studios. Can't we have both?
    Get schwifty.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    I actually don't mind 'em.  Gimme a few more, in fact.  I'll take shiney Mass Effect trilogy, the BioShock's and Skyrim next, please.

Yeh, i would crumble for a ME trilogy.
  • I adore Sleepy Dogs - but not enough to re-buy the thing at full price just for the shiny.

This is probably aimed at Nintentards who transitioned from Wii (skipping Ps360) to the current gen. 

...Said 'tards are in for a treat.
  • I suppose it wasn't a huge hit, it's not like GTA where almost everyone will have played it. The price will drop pretty quickly if they're wrong.
  • The driving was abysmal.
    The driving was fine, infinitely better than GTAIV, really the entire game was infinitely better than GTAIV, but not as good as V (hand to hand combat still way better in this though).
  • The city design is way behind R* but the fighting and driving was better than GTAIV.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Agree with the hand to hand combat, but the driving was dire. The physics engine couldn't handle it at all, it had none of the weight and inertia of GTAIV, so it felt all wrong to me.
  • GTAIV had the worst driving of any game ever. SD had very arcade like handling, but it was possible to drive flat out for minutes at a tube without so much as clipping another car or scenery (with a cheevo for doing so iirc).

Horses for courses / opinions etc, but your just fucking wrong on this one in afraid Sparkles.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'm with Jamie.

I still have a fond memory of beating up a pork bun vendor in SD, then bundling him into my cars boot. Several missions later I realised there was a muffled cry from my boot. I'd totally forgotten about the poor guy. I pulled him out and he kindly offered me a pork bun. Fucking brilliant.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Anyone that prefers the driving of this to any GTA (even the 2D ones) needs to have their bumps felt as there's something wrong there.

Press button to powerslide. Dear me.
  • I enjoyed the driving. Sliding around, barging into things. Good fun. The whole thing was more fun than GTAV in fact, despite (or perhaps because of) GTAV being much more detailed, polished and sophisticated in practically every way.
  • I've been having an absolute blast going through this again, but now Definitively.

When I played on PS3, that was having suffered GTAIV some time before it, which is why, at the time, I rated Sleeping Dogs' higher than GTA's.  It's defenitely better than IV's, because IV is just awful.  I have, however, now played GTAV, so I can see why some folk don't like SD's driving.  They're certainly very different. I still find the driving in this a whole lot of fun, though.  Apart from the insanely long bike race. That got on my tits.  But not as much as so many GTA missions.

Interested to read the above opinion about city design. It occurred to me that one of the reasons I have such a blast in this is the atmosphere. When it's raining, and the neon lights are reflecting off the puddles, and the sun comes out, and the alleyways are hazy with mist.  Each area has a different feel.

There are undoubtedly faults.  There's an inherent problem with making the protagonist in this kind of game a cop.  Yeah, sure, he's undercover and he's in too deep, but there's no way to complete some of these missions without a serious disregard for innocent people's lives.  In one mission, our hero was so enraged by somebody stealing, he power-slid through a group of pedestrians in pursuit of the thief.  The rascal.

Combat is a hoot. I had forgotten that you couldn't necessarily just welly in, and that timing is key.

The treatment of female characters is mixed.  Wei has female bosses in both sides of his life, but all other female characters are brainless pieces of meat, who exist to be taken on a date mission which will end with the promise of (thankfully off-camera) sex and some sort of bonus.

Anyways, I'm enjoying the story, I remember certain parts but not others, and the missions are still great fun.  There's a real range of mission types, and I'm looking forward to the DLC which I bought for PS3 and never got around to.

Ace fun.  I see I'm the only person on my friends list playing it, which is a shame.  Maybe everybody else caught it first time around.
  • I might pick it up when it's sub £20, but having already completed it on 360, then again with all the DLC on PS3, in not sure how much value of get out of it. Absolutely loved it at the time though, shat on GTAIV from a great height.

As A Bruce Lee nerd, the Enter The Dragon style DLC was the icing on the cake, loved it.
  • The look and feel of the city is tops but the layout of the map is way behind what GTA is up to. It's a handful of distinct districts, all of which are a bit of a mess, with highways joining them up.

As a fan of 90s HK movies I have great memories of this. The parallel xp meters for gangster and cop capture the split loyalty theme in the story and in the story of about 80% of all HK gangster movies.

And Wei is just such a dude.
  • I want to know what hair product he uses.
  • Awesome sauce applied when wet.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'll grab it when cheap for Bone. Loved it first time round.
  • I liked it.  If I ever have enough time to give over to playing videogames again I'll give it another run through.
  • ARGH!

I'm currently trying to do the "Night of a Thousand Cuts" standalone mission, and it's driving me insane. Basically, it's a fight against repeatedly spawning Triads armed with poisoned knives. The thing is, even if you successfully counter every attack, before you defeat the first four or five the screen flashes indicating that you've been poisoned and your health will constantly deplete.

To be considered 'complete', you have to kill thirty Triads. I keep dying between 15 and 25. I've seen videos where people get over a thousand, but that's on the original game, not the Definitive Edition, and I gather there are significant differences; by the look of things, the blades being poisoned are new to this (without them, decent players could be fighting forevermore).

Different outfits sometimes give different perks, and I've found myself wearing things I'd never normally pick - an outfit like Monkey, another one like a bronze statue - in the hope that the increased melee damage inflicted or reduced melee damage incurred will help, but to no avail.

It's frustrating.
  • Just managed. I feel relieved and awesome.
  • That reminds me, I've got this on the HDD pretty much unplayed - it seemed a bit rough around the edges but fun when I looked at it a few months back.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Just playing through this again as I got the definitive version for less than the price of a pint in the sale. Such a great game, I'd kill for a sequel. I never forgot how good it was, and it still holds up.
  • There is isn't there? Triad Wars?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Scrap that, its been cancelled.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • So Sleeping Dogs sold over 2.5m but didn't make money, or at least not enough to risk a sequel.

This industry is depressing sometimes. Back in the 90s those sales would have equated to a big hit.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • that is a... TRUE CRIME! boom.

it is my favourite GTA clone for sure.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I only turned it on for a quick look and 2 hours later I'm thinking I'll be doing a full play through again. Combat is so much fun.
  • yeah, driving is a bit wonky but overall it felt like a much more condensed and concise game compared to the never-ending expanses of other open worlders.
  • Yeah for sure. Enjoyed my play through as well. A great B tier game that you don't get many of these days.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!