PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message

Yeah you still like it.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Facewon wrote:

So turns out I'd already seen another thing in this Arte series. The Rhye concert at the airport.

Have since also watched Sevdaliza and am watching another with Emel Mathlouthi. Sevdaliza is very much in the FKA Twigs mould. No bad thing. Really good stuff. Emel has a hell of a voice, but pretty hard yards so far. 

Anyhoo, series is well worth a shuffle through.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Always loved this one from Sevdaliza:

Did you see she did a Tiny Desk earlier this year?

• Too good to be confined to the UK music losers thred. 

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I would hang the fuck out of that on my wall.
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm going in to get Meteora re-release, srsly do you want me to look out for it for you? They're usually about £30 each.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    I really need a new Nite Jewel album, Real High is so good.

• I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Most entertaining thing in rap music atm, officially.
  • Some of you man should spend more time in the UK thread, jus sayin.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • CasIsDead is the supossed ghost writer for that project.

Edit: Also the latest track is an absolute madness.
  • I know there are a few people on here who are Decemberists fans (and others who'd rather cut off their ears).  For those who are interested they're currently streaming a series of paid gigs having finally accepted they can't do the planned 20th Anniversary tour. 

Tickets are here.

They're not particularly cheap, so I figured a review might help.

I've only watched the first one (though plan to watch others) which I believe will remain up until the end of this week.

Bad stuff first - like a lot of these streamed gigs it inevitably suffers from the lack of an audience. Meloy tends to be at his best at gigs when he's sparking off the crowd, and there's simply no-one there. It's also kind of weird seeing them all brightly lit, without having to stare through the darkness.  So, yeah, the atmosphere is somewhat lacking.

On the flipside it means you can more readily appreciate their skills.  (My kids are fans of the band, which is why we stumped up for all 3 gigs, however they are now specifically fans of Jenny Conlee having previously never quite twigged how insanely talented she is.) 

Really though, the main draw here is that this is a 20th Anniversary gig.  There know what songs you've come for, and they deliver.  I'm not sure what they have lined up for gigs 2 & 3 because this one already feels like fan service of the upmost degree. 
    Spoiler:
    If they hadn't just released a live version on vinyl, I would be half expecting them to end the gigs with Hazards of Love in its entirety.

So yeah, not perfect. It doesn't come close to an actual live gig, but it's still pretty damn good.
  • Done Flaming Lips Yoshimi about 4 times in the last 12 hours. Master version on Tidal through the good phones and theres a million things I've never heard before.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Decemberists!

Nice.  Not sure if you've looked at the setlist for the second gig so I'll just say there's a treat in the middle.  I haven't watched any paid-for lockdown gigs, will see if the wife wants to watch one of these at some point.      

After reading your post last night I put some old favourites on for my walk to work and Dear Avery climbs the rigging a little every time I hear it.   I'd put them in the Greatest Hit/Artist of the week thread but it probably wouldn't be worth it for a small handful of badgers so I'll just ask directly - what are the Tin favourites?
  • And here it is, because that's the way it goes. 

Doubt I could call a winner for their best album closer out of that and Hazards of Love 4 (The Drowned).
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    Decemberists!
    Nice.  Not sure if you've looked at the setlist for the second gig so I'll just say there's a treat in the middle.  I haven't watched any paid-for lockdown gigs, will see if the wife wants to watch one of these at some point.       After reading your post last night I put some old favourites on for my walk to work and Dear Avery climbs the rigging a little every time I hear it.   I'd put them in the Greatest Hit/Artist of the week thread but it probably wouldn't be worth it for a small handful of badgers so I'll just ask directly - what are the Tin favourites?

Oh blimey, that's a hard one.  (I assume you mean other than Dracula's Daughter, obviously?)

I can see this being a post in which I simply end up naming all their songs.

Right, let's start with the songs that I love, but if I'm honest suspect my affection is at least partly down to what they remind me of.  So there's the Great Lost REM tune Calamity Song, the faux Nick Drake of Lake Song, the sheer ballsy "let's rip off Hey Jude" of Valerie Plame, and even the jaunty ELO pastiche of Midlist Author. 

Then there's the ones that have worked their way into my heart because of the yarns they spin - the sick joke of Cautionary Song,  the entirely self explanatory Apology Song, live favourite Mariner's Revenge Song, and of course the insane epics of Crane Wife, The Tain and let's be honest, the entirety of Hazards of Love.

But, ultimately, I think I like the really simple ones best. This may be purely because they're the ones my kids will just randomly start playing on a guitar, leading to spontaneous sing alongs that sound horribly twee but are, in truth, some of the only moments of pure happiness I can recall.  So, yes, definitely Dear Avery, but Sons and Daughters wins the "best closer" for me purely because of the afore mentioned Sing-along potential.   I have a weird soft spot for "Raincoat Song" as well, which is about as simple a ditty as you could concoct and still get away with describing it as a song.

Oh God, and then there's "I Was Meant for the Stage" and "The Gymnast High Above the Ground" and, and, and...

But if I'm going to climb off the fence and pick one, right now, in my current mood?  It's "Red Right Ankle".  Again stupidly simple, and I appreciate some people find the reference to Carson's "gypsy uncle" problematic, but (shrugs), I love it.  It's hard to do a love song without it being horribly cliched, yet this cuts through it, simultaneously intimate and strange - a song about connection that exudes longing.

Ask me tomorrow though, and I'll doubtless pick a different one.

• I don't mean to interrupt Decemberists chat, but Villagers have a new song out leading up to an album, and it reminds me how much I love Conor's voice, and how odd and experimental they can get in short bursts. I think it might have been Gave that introduced them to me off the back of Becoming a Jackal, and as good as that album is, they've done so much better since. Here is the new songs, and some other tracks I enjoy.

• Yooooooooo! I've fallen away so hey seems a good time to catch up. Thanking you!
  • Tempy wrote:
    I don't mean to interrupt Decemberists chat, but Villagers have a new song out leading up to an album, and it reminds me how much I love Conor's voice, and how odd and experimental they can get in short bursts. I think it might have been Gave that introduced them to me off the back of Becoming a Jackal, and as good as that album is, they've done so much better since.

Excellent, I shall look out for the rest of the new stuff. I saw him do a gig on his own once, at the Sage in Gateshead.  It was one of those extraordinary performances - he ended by doing Cecilia & Her Selfhood with voice only, and it was incredible - there was utter silence in the room for the duration and you could literally hear people let out their breath at the end.  (I also saw him join John Grant to do Glacier once, which was also amazingly charged.)

But, yes, I love his voice too.

• Yeah I've seen him live, his voice is absolutely perfect.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    And now for something completely different.

God, I love to sing along to this one. Hear my voice break in all kinds of ways.
  • Album cover kings, to go along with bangers.
  • Too good to languish in the UK thread (again). Don't worry, no grime shit, just the tippy toppest, bestest bit of UK hip hop I've heard probably since Loyle Carner. 

I must immediately go and dive into the back catalogue and find out what the hell is going on - once I stop uncontrollably smashing the repeat button.
  • I love her. My recommendations are Might Bang Might Not and Offence, but your particular tastes may vary.
  • Had a smashing time on here last night, what with Tin's wonderful Decemberists post and Davy's Cocko typo.  Disjointed reasons to declare my love for this place perhaps, but there it is.     

Red Right Ankle is a great choice.  On the Bus Mall would probably be the last track standing for me, but that's partly because the bus stop enclosure enfolding/hands tightly holding lines do something weird to me and give it an extra two points.  I love Meloy's echoey vocals on Clementine (and those weeping steel guitars again), I love the way my wife will always thank me for playing Grace Cathedral Hill (just a few seconds has a calming catnip effect on her), I love the epicness of the epics, I love the fact that their EPs are often at least partly majestic, I love the jangly guitars on Leslie Anne Levine (to listen to or play), I love Chris Funk and his ability to transform them into A Big Noise and I LOVE that 'I'm going to listen to the whole of Hazards!' treat-myself feeling.  Above everything else though I think I just love the way hearing any of the classics will never ever fail to cheer me up.

I also hate the fact that I haven't mentioned dozens of great songs.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Too good to languish in the UK thread (again). Don't worry, no grime shit, just the tippy toppest, bestest bit of UK hip hop I've heard probably since Loyle Carner. 

I must immediately go and dive into the back catalogue and find out what the hell is going on - once I stop uncontrollably smashing the repeat button.

Love Little Simz. Can recommend 101FM, Wounds and Venom from Grey Area (I mean, the whole album is great).
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yeah Venom slaps!

Really enjoyed Dead Body as well, gave me Clipping vibes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!