Fallout 76
  • The way the perk cards works screams lootcrates to me as well.
    I'm convinced they pulled them after Battlefront-gate. Would have been crates and crates of ammo, materials and crap cosmetics you don't want all to get a perk card that may not even be the one you want.
    It's too similar to Battlefront's structure not to have been the case.
  • That is most likely what happened, aye.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Mikemsp wrote:
    What’s the betting that the new space game still uses a tweaked version of the same engine they’ve used since oblivion Morrowind?

FTFY.
  • TBH, there'd be nothing wrong with using the same engine if they could actually fix the long-standing problems with the damned thing.
  • True, but they can't even be arsed to implement fixes modders have achieved.
  • I don't know how the modding system works, but it's conceivable that it's not actually possible to roll mods into the main code-base. Given their obvious leadership problems, I wouldn't put money on that being the case, though.
  • The creakiness of the engine is a strange one. Here's a video from a few days ago, with a guy who although his presentation style may grate, has some stuff to say about Bethesda and their use of the Gamebryo engine. I found the whole thing to be quite interesting. 

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I'm not sure it was worth 25 minutes of my time, but it was interesting to find out about about the situations surrounding the original creation of the engine for Morrowind.
  • Most big companies are using the same engine they've used for a long time (I think Red Dead 2 is technically the same engine as GTA 4) but the problem is that Bethesda don't seem to be actually iterating and improving theirs. It doesn't look like they've done much (or anything) to the core rendering tech and they obviously haven't spent time to plug the logic holes that cause the bugs that are in all their games.

Unless they do a massive overhaul for the new Elder Scrolls they are going to be an absolute laughing stock. Even more so than now because I'm guessing it'll be out around the same time at Cyberpunk and considering F76 looks worse than the Witcher 3 they're just going to keep falling further and further behind.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • Ah, thanks.

Good for them?
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:

I actually like Ralph and his Skillup channel but that Laymen Gaming Duo... Jesus
  • I dunno you gotta hand it to them for spinning out a headline into 10 ad friendly minutes of youtube content, can't be easy.

By which I mean it can and the weird industry supporting grown men sitting around whining about videogames, and by extension most of youtube, is fucking dumb.
  • Its not dumb, its the voice of the consumer.
    If it wasn't for the likes of Sterling we would still have gambling mechanics in kids games.

It is their/our passion and hobby. You will find it in sports, movies, fuck I bet I could find plenty of board game whingers too if they decided to blind bag the entirety of warhammer.
  • You don't need to look far for the boardgame ones or Warhammer ones, they already exist. People melted their old armies when GW announced the original AoS rulset, and Bell of Lost Souls does healthy traffic by claiming that GW is the devil every week whilst also happily reblogging every piece of news GW put out.

I don't think there's an issue with consumer advocacy in and of itself, I just think some of the ways it is handled by the internet is ridiculous. This whole bag thing is a proper storm in a teacup issue. One which Bethesda could have handled much better, but I also bet they're happy it's front and centre as opposed to there being another weak of reporting on quite how shoddy the game itself is.

I think this has been a weird little microcosm issue all told, an overpriced collectors edition came with all the tat but dropped the ball on the bag, then Bethesda customer service fumbled the response, then a different bag was given to influencers, now they're fixing it. All along the way there's a week of free news for everyone involved.

I'm being cynical I know. I am glad the people got their bags, I just think the whole news cycle is exhausting.
  • AJ wrote:
    Ah, thanks. Good for them?

It's a very grudging and overdue reaction to a PR clusterfuck caused by them failing to deliver what they'd taken people's money for so no, not good for them.
  • @tempy
    It definitely gains momentum., unfortunately that's a thing with most of youtube. People see something getting hits and imitate. There's a whole raft of them that think they are dunkey.

The bag thing wouldn't have kicked off without the rest of the shit surrounding this game, but that again is all media. A big story lands and related or similar stories get published.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    AJ wrote:

It's a very grudging and overdue reaction to a PR clusterfuck caused by them failing to deliver what they'd taken people's money for so no, not good for them.

Quite. In my head I see Bethesda with one of those Twin Peaks golden shovels, desperately trying to shovel themselves out of the shit. Good on the consumers for not letting ‘em get away with it.
    Get schwifty.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    @tempy It definitely gains momentum., unfortunately that's a thing with most of youtube. People see something getting hits and imitate. There's a whole raft of them that think they are dunkey. The bag thing wouldn't have kicked off without the rest of the shit surrounding this game, but that again is all media. A big story lands and related or similar stories get published.

I used to quite like Sterling but I ended up finding him really grating, and he's the best of a bad bunch. I enjoy his wrestling schtick though, that's all quite knowing.

It's a total tangent to this whole kerfuffle (or as Eurogamer punned, Kerduffel) but I really dislike the new wave of personality driven enthusiast press/youtube. Even as a huge advocate for a variety of youtube channels, it's hard not to get disenfranchised when they're raking in a decent Patreon wage to push out a handful of videos a month, and then they cash that popularity in to make more money playing games on twitch or whatever.

Probably the wrong thread for this, the Bag thing has just been kind of insane to me really.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    Quite. In my head I see Bethesda with one of those Twin Peaks golden shovels, desperately trying to shovel themselves out of the shit. Good on the consumers for not letting ‘em get away with it.

I didn't know how to do a sardonic smiley, okay?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is there nobody complaining that they coughed up two hundred quid for a plastic space helmet? Who gives a fuck about a bag?
  • Most big companies are using the same engine they've used for a long time (I think Red Dead 2 is technically the same engine as GTA 4) but the problem is that Bethesda don't seem to be actually iterating and improving theirs.

The funny thing is, Fallout 4 was a graphical setup from 3, but it still looked behind the curve (although could still conjure up some attractive post-apocalyptic vistas).  But something happened with 76 as, at crucial times, it's inability to  render even nearby scenery meant it often looks worse than 3.

And so here's the rub.  Do they get back on track and make those tweaks to create Creation Engine 2.0 to run Starfield.  Or do they scrap it and use another engine?   The question is pretty pointless though, Starfield is in development and they are locked into that engine.

As much as I'd love them to ditch it and start over, that engine of theirs does give Bethesda games their distinctive feel.  Put simply, a TES VI running on Unreal or wotevar isn't going to feel like a Elder Scrolls game.  In much the same way as the X-ray gave the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series its distinctive look and feel (and bugs) if the sequel uses a brand new engine (as opposed to a modern iteration of X-ray) it too will lose something in the process.

I can't believe I'm arguing for a stay of execution for the Creation Engine, but I know a part of me will morn its demise.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Kow wrote:
    Is there nobody complaining that they coughed up two hundred quid for a plastic space helmet? Who gives a fuck about a bag?

I suspect that would have been the general reaction without all the other controversy.
    Still, false advertising is false advertising.

• The trouble with switching to another engine is that there isn't one to switch to. They'd have to do a shit load of work to bring anything into line and would probably botch it up. What they need is to restructure internally and hire more people that know what they're doing or utilise the ones they have (assuming they do) better.
  • They were really put to task in a GameCentral interview a few years ago when Fallout 4 was released - the general gist was 'why don't you at least employ or hire third-party tech to cover stuff like facial animations?'  (which have always been ghastly in their games).  They dismissed the question with development double-speak.  Bethesda always got a free pass on how their games looked, because their open worlds were so mesmerizing, but that ain't the case no more.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Aren't they? Fallout 4 was the last one and I thought that was alright in that aspect.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!