Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
  • I'm about 5 hours in and have just got to Hotto.
    Gonna be a bit until I get to 20 hours. Despite being short of work I am trying to behave and not game all day.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Make sure and get some of that good puff puff
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Make sure and get some of that good puff puff

Ha.
    I just did.
  • Right back into this. Had it on release but drifted away after 10 or so hours. Been playing it on the box with the boy and it's really got its hooks in now. Also got the bunny outfit for Jade... 8-)
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Had a bit of a break but back in. So much charm in this, the localisation's so good it should be used to teach English. Just finished the Sniflheim bit, loving the nods to Bayonetta.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think you can select a Japanese dub if you're playing the S version.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yeah, my interest waned after hearing his voice.

Still only have the demo as my Shopto order never arrived and by the time that was sorted out all the sales had ended.
  • I thought Erik's VA was quite good. Maybe I’m just used to it cos I’m so far into the game. It just keeps on going. I’m now nervous I won’t finish it before it gets taken off gamepass.
  • Argos, PS4 £16.99, click and collect.
  • Completed this tonight. Bought it last year at some point but it took me 2 or 3 goes to get into it as the first 10 or so hours are incredibly slow going and the combat doesn't really open up and become interesting until much later in the game.

In the end I did pretty much everything -all characters lv 99, all the trials done, and ultimate final boss wrecked. Erik is so OP by the end that he absolutely destroyed the final boss almost single handily. Divide then double down and watch everything die *chef kiss*
    Spoiler:

Only real gripes other than the slow start is how absolutely terrible the item menus are and that it doesn't really explain anything. There's a charm stat and after 96 hours I still don't really know what it does.

The Scottish accents in the English localisation are also really fun.
  • I loved it. First JRPG in a while that I couldn’t stop playing (oh, maybe Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as well). I didn’t do the post-game stuff though, as there was too much other stuff to play. Was saying at the weekend that I’d be straight in for XII, despite having never really played a DQ before.
  • You’ve reminded me I need to finish the post-game stuff. I’m in some bloody labyrinthine castle thing and just got annoyed and never went back. Absolutely class game though, the game should be used to teach English in schools.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The translation/localisation etc of Dragon Quest games are second to none. The puns are outstanding, how do they work in Japanese and English? Or are they separate jokes?
  • I've wondered that myself. Some of the puns don't seem like they'd work oversees.
  • Japanese puns don't work in English. They're pretty much incomprehensible when directly translated.
  • After platinuming the OG at launch I’m now in the second half of the definitive edition and, honestly, I’m not a fan of most of the changes - soundtrack aside. Some changes just add more content, few changes make the game better, and a few make it actively worse (imo ofc).

It’s still one of the best RPGs out there but it’s deffo not worth picking up for anyone that rinsed the original.
  • 2d mode though
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    2d mode though

Yeah, the 2D mode is nice, though I have a couple of bugbears with it. Namely:
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!