52 Games in a year challenge: 2018
  • Finally finished another game! Woohoo!

2. Battle Garegga (PS4)

And what a game it is! Just got the platinum trophy so I’m happy to call it completed although I’ve not set any decent scores or completed Arcade without free play. Maybe one day.

One of the best shmups. Going straight into Top 100 list too.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Glorious innit.
  • Upto 9 now, little behind schedule but getting some momentum now getting GTAV and Rise of the TR off the backlog.
  • 3. Thumper (PS4)

Great game. Finally finished all levels. Might try and S-rank some as and when.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Updated OP with Super Lucky's Tale, Unravel and The Wolf Among Us.  Up to 14 now which isn't too shabby for late March.

12.  Super Lucky's Tale
    5th March – 10th March
    Great charm and production values run throughout this bright and cheery 3D platformer, playing as Lucky the fox in his quest to save the Book of Ages.  It looks great, bursting with colour, however the platforming itself in the 3D space was a let down and frustrated the overall experience.  I felt the control of Lucky was not as correct as it could have been, leading to many missed leaps and landings, hampered further by the limited camera.  I'm not sure why it was necessary to restrict the camera, but I know it would have made the world of difference to the enjoyment of the game if it had 360 control.  Not terrible in any way but a missed opportunity. 6

13. Unravel
    19th July 2016 – 18th March 2018

Came back to this Nordic platformer a third time after a long absence, determined to see it through.  I had dipped a toe twice before but it just couldn't quite pull me in.  Playing as a woolen character called Yarny, you must leap, swing and puzzle your way through many levels, completing a scrapbook of memories that charts the life of a family.  What was clear from playing this was it is clearly a very personal game to the developer, Coldwood, and I appreciated the sentiment.  The look of the game is great, some fabulous texture work, and the physics were very well done.  You are required to swing a lot using yarn and this was satisfyingly done.  What let it down though was my nemesis, trial and error.  I just don't like it and it feels like lazy developing when I encounter it.  It gets marked down for this. 6.5

14. The Wolf Among Us
    18th March – 24th March

I'm not familiar with the graphic novel so went into this blind.  I have a number of Telltale games on the hard drive and the bad taste of Back to the Future still lingered, I was aware this is considered a decent effort and I wasn't disappointed.  A stylish, very well told noir thriller of fairy tale characters inhabiting a New York borough, with you as Bigby Wolf, the sheriff of Fabletown.  I really enjoyed the premise, the story was interesting and involving, the characters well acted and scripted.  As Bigby I was invested in shaping the story, the dialogue was entertaining and the level of interaction very well done.  So much better than BttF in every way. 8.5
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Webbs - I gave up on BTTF but give the Telltale Borderlands a crack, its really good!
  • Aye started it up this aft, Nana.  Enjoying it!
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm up to 20!
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    4. YS: Memories of Celceta - Vita
    Solid RPG that wasn't too taxing or long (40 hours).

The real time combat suited my button mashing style, although there were a few too many bosses for my liking. The story is nothing special but it was enough to stop me glazing over. Characters weren't overly annoying, even if some of their dialogue was cheesy.

There's an NG+ so I might do that at some point and go for the Platinum. 7
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm gonna start Lucky's tale today. Good write up webbs, expectations well and truly tempered
  • You'll get some joy from it, there are some good sections.
  • I've been waylaid by the darkest dungeon, but up to 19 now with the Wonderboy III remake.
  • Going well here, finished games 15, 16 and 17.  God bless short games and a long weekend.  Next!

15. Tales From The Borderlands
    25th March – 31st March

Started hot off the heels of the much enjoyed The Wolf Among Us, expectations were high for this graphic tale from the Gearbox franchise.  Snappy dialogue coupled with a tittersome script and some energetic action sequences made this an entertaining Telltale edition.  It felt a little flabby towards the middle but the pace picked up again in the final third.  The characters were all likeable, even the villains and there were some darkly comic moments that bounced off the seemingly juvenile tone and style.  A special mention to the opening credits of each episode which I thought were great, a well worked blend of cinematic camera work and music.  Overall it didn't top Wolfie, but it was still a very good Telltale game. 7.5

16. Virginia
    31st March

I was aware of this divisive game, but I found it cheap in the Xbox Spring Sale so for the price of a pint I thought I'd satisfy my curiosity.  I'd seen it billed as a Lynchian blend of Twin Peaks and The X Files, and this was a fairly accurate portrayal of the game.  Set in Virginia in 1992, you take the role of newly graduated FBI Special Agent Anne Tarver, beginning your career with the investigation of a missing local boy.  You are thrown in at the deep end by your superior as you are also tasked with incorporating an internal affairs investigation into your new partner.  This game is a variation on the walking simulator with point and click elements, the plot and events unfold, you have little bearing on the outcomes as such.  The story is one of mystery and intrigue; it begins rather straightforward but soon descends into surrealism and confusion.  There are many motifs and signifiers, many meanings can be assumed.  The final third splinters into plot fragments and it feels at the end you are meant to make your own interpretations.  I kinda liked it, it was weird yet wonderful, brilliantly cinematic, eerily odd with no spoken dialogue but the direction was tight and the runtime concise.  The music is excellent and the score from the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra is rousing and perfectly complements the tale.  The game as a whole sits below the likes of Edith Finch if I can make that comparison, and I can see how the ending may not satisfy many as it descends into arthouse territory, but I felt it a highly commendable effort. 7.5

17. Late Shift
    31st March
    Not so much a game as an interactive FMV, I had my eye on this in previous sales but never pulled the trigger, so I was pleased to see it drop onto MS' Game Pass.  You decide the fate of Matt, a student working the night shift at a private parking garage used by a fairly high class clientele.  Your quiet night takes a turn when you go to investigate what looks like an attempted car theft.  What follows is a fairly slickly produced hour long FMV ride with branching chapters and multiple endings.  The acting is never BAFTA troubling as it veers from the good to the not so good, and technically it can fall a little short as the game attempts to stitch together your decisions in real time.  Generally though I thought it was quite good, the plot is clichéd and occasionally rough, but it shows that FMV games have come a long way since the likes of Night Trap. 7
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hmm maybe I should play Virginia.... I'm sure nobody would object...
  • It's nowhere near as shit as its reputation here suggests.  I was .5 less generous than Webbins -  good review up there.
  • I've since played games that made it more of a [6] mind, but at the time it was doing a few things I hadn't seen.
  • I quite liked it.  There was one section particularly that was brill.
  • 20 with Golf Story done.  Also enjoying my long weekend.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Perfect write-up of Lucky Webbins. I agree with everything you say. Strangely I kept coming back to it and I have even downloaded the DLC (didn't feel so bad because I downloaded on Game Pass). Screw that 99,999 coin achievement though :D
  • Oh, there is a point to collecting the coins in the hubs then, I must have missed that one. Is it a secret one?
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    There were three achievements added as part of a title update. Realistically you're only going to get the 15,000 one. Have only just broke 20,000 and I have finished the main game and got all the clovers.
  • 21 with Kirby on Switch.  Review boils down to 's'ok'.
  • Yeah it was a good game hampered by a wanky camera and then dodgy platforming because of this.  I manfully stuck at it for completionist purposes.  The coin gongs are a pointless grind, don't see the need for achievements like those.

Edit - Lucky's.
  • 10 Second Run Returns rounds off my productive long weekend.  22.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    10 Second Run Returns rounds off my productive long weekend.  22.

Wowee.  You’re going some.  I’m impressed and very jealous of your free time. Do you not have a family who rudely take up your time, moot? Forgive my ignorance, I’m just astonished at the rate you get through games.   Today, I’ve managed about 20 mins on owl boy and then felt guilty that I wasn’t doing anything for anyone else and put it away.
  • I get a fair bit of time, especially for Switch gaming.  We've only got one telly, so if the wife's on that and I'm not interested in what's on - as she usually is and I'm usually not - I'll play a handheld in the evening after the 7pm cor/phew of my daughter's bedtime.  9 of the 22 so far were polished off on the train - games listed as Vita, GBA or 3DS in my reviews are mostly commute only.  I haven't read a book since I started doing this shit last February, which I'm a bit unhappy about, but not enough to stop doing this, I kinda love it.  I also finish work at 2.15pm every day, so the dog walk and the bo-ring stuff like washing up and cooking can be done in the afternoon.    

I'm also amazing at ignoring the guilt.  If I look up from Golf Story and wifey's on season 17 of Say Yes to the Dress then I'm bulletproof.  So if you don't watch much TV, allow most films to pass you by, never read any books and mostly drink indoors, there's an outside chance you could be cruising past the goalposts by September.
  • I also work six days a week, so I tend to be gifted some Moot time as a reward at least once a week, where the ladies fuck off somewhere and I play PS4 in my pants and/or dressing gown.
  • What a life!

I’ll be building an en suite this weekend rather than gaming.
  • At some point in the next two weeks they'll visit her mum's caravan for at least two nights, then it's cheese pizza time.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've just hit 22 too. Nemesis moot, always one half-step ahead...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!