The Apple Thread
  • Be sure and remind me of this after the inevitable crushing disaster!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    My watch has stopped giving me message notifications and calendar doesn't seem to be syncing. Although health data does seem to be going back to the phone. This has happened since the 14.7.1 update. My watch is a SE and is on 9.6.3. I'd avoided updating my watch to not fall foul of the Apple "your older hardware is now crap" syndrome but I fear I might be forced to update now. Are there are any settings I can check on phone/watch before I (potentially) nuke my watch?

Update in case anyone else has this issue. Looks like Apple deliberately killed off support for < 10 watch OS with the 17.4 phone update. 17.4.1 nor the 17.5 beta restore the connection.

So I bit the bullet and installed watch OS 10.4 and thankfully, it's been fine. Battery life is very slightly lower than before (by an hour) but the UI is a little nicer, with a great new watch face.

Will stay on 10 as long as possible as there will be a time when the new watch OS won't play nice with the older watch hardware, but I'm happy with it at the moment.
  • Fucking Apple.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Man, I miss my Mac mini. Top wee machine.

In other news, emulate every old Mac operating system, from System 1.0 to Mac OS 9.2.2 in your fuggin browser.

os922badgers.jpg
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Loving this Swirl, still remember doing my art history essay on the schools Mac, would have been '87/'88, I loved that computer.
  • That's lovely. I jumped on board with System 7. So seeing that is making me all warm and fuzzy. :)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    9.x for me, in the school's computer lab. I remember hating it at first - I had to unlearn a lot of Windows stuff. OS 9 was confusing because it did make sense. Took me a while to get my head around that.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    This was my first Mac after not using the school one for about 15 years. So would have been Mac OSX. I had a PC at the time that was constantly blue screening and I was sick of it, so I got the Mac and never looked back (apart from gaming *cough*)

2712-25.jpg
  • 2008 Macbook was my first. Got left in my ex's flat in Dundee *spits*

The on board gpu packed in though so yeah, was on its road out anyway. Loved that thing.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    This was my first Mac after not using the school one for about 15 years. So would have been Mac OSX. I had a PC at the time that was constantly blue screening and I was sick of it, so I got the Mac and never looked back (apart from gaming *cough*) 2712-25.jpg
    Those were brilliant wee machines. And look at all those feckin' ports along the side!
  • Those old white MacBooks were great. Likewise, my old 2010 MacBook Pro was an absolute tank. Lasted a long time after some upgrades.
  • That was the golden era of Macs.
    Especially the laptops. Not only were they very good in their own right there were considerably more robust compared to the ice cream tub alternatives.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    They were great but with the m1 MacBook Pro onwards we are definitely in the golden era now. Quiet, cool, powerful laptops with amazing screens and the right amount of ports, even the headphone jack works with high quality headphones. Definitely the best MacBook laptop I’ve owned over the years.
  • They are better now in terms of tech advancement but not flexible enough for my liking. Prices have gone from expensive to laughable too
  • I’ve only just replaced my 2013 MacBook Pro. Don’t need much for WFH so never needed to upgrade but she just don’t fire up and can’t download the software whatever I do do got a new one. Beautiful thing but she just sits there the vast majority of the time.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    drumbeg wrote:
    Those old white MacBooks were great.

My white iBook lasted for 7+ years. Still waiting for another machine to outlast it.
  • White Macbook running Snow Leopard is probably the most stable machine I've ever had. As per someone above, I came into Macs from a BSOD-ridden PC desktop. It was so far ahead of the Windows experience at the time.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    White Macbook running Snow Leopard is probably the most stable machine I've ever had. As per someone above, I came into Macs from a BSOD-ridden PC desktop. It was so far ahead of the Windows experience at the time.

Yup. After learning to love OS 9, I went back to Windows 98. Going to Mac OS X (especially the phenomenal Snow Leopard) was like learning you've been walking with manacles around your feet for your entire life, and you just didn't realise.
  • Started with Tiger, went up to Yosemite, potentially El Capitan.

Tiger to Snow Leopard really were excellent. I was using them at home while using XP at work, fortunately swerved Vista entirely.
    W7-10 have been fine. After Snow Leopard Mac OS felt a bit too much like it was dictating how it should be used for me while Windows became a background thing that didnt help nor hinder me.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    My main machine is Windows now. Later on in my time as a Mac user, I'd always make sure to have XP or 7 installed via BootCamp.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    They are better now in terms of tech advancement but not flexible enough for my liking. Prices have gone from expensive to laughable too

Yeah, I agree. My 2010 MBP was very solidly build. Even the coating on the keys didn't wear down over the years. The most important thing though was that it was upgradable, allowing me to swap out the RAM and HDD.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    drumbeg wrote:
    The most important thing though was that it was upgradable, allowing me to swap out the RAM and HDD.

That's one reason I loved my Mac mini; you could just unscrew the bottom and upgrade the RAM. They even left the connector for an optical drive in there, which I used to attach a second HDD to act as back up. I was so narked when my Mum got a Mac mini and Apple had seen fit to seal the lid.
  • iPad Pro 5.1mm thick and getting the M4.  Macbooks don't even have it.

But why?
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]
  • I don't know why.  But I want one.
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]
  • I'll never get one.
  • Kris recieves an unmarked package containing one in the next few days.
  • And on eBay in 5...4...

Alas, I only got those packages from Sony, and they won't be a customer as of 24th May.  My good luck is over there.
  • PPSSPP running on my iPad Mini (2019) and it's wondrous. What a shame it's taken so long for this to happen.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!