Atari 2600 - 40 years
  • That story reminds me of playing Outrun on a black and white telly at my Grandparents house.

I'd often stay there when I was younger because my Mum had cancer and was in hospital, and when she was better she worked as a nurse. They had a colour TV, but my Nana commanded control of the television. My Grandad had an old 12" black and white set that he was relegated to when he wanted to watch the football, which he moved into my room so I could play on my Master System whenever I wanted, except for when the football was on. This was hardly a problem, as I wanted to watch it anyway and it meant that I could stay up later when Match of the Day was on.

I had a lot of games, partly because Woolworths stocked some for pocket money prices, so my Nana would often buy me games. At that time though, I played Outrun relentlessly. It's possibly a bit weird, but even though it was black and white, because I knew what everything looked like on our TV, my mind just filled in the colours, so I was looking as a bright red Ferrari, under Sega Blue Skies.

Is it Outrun? Yes, it's always Outrun.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The 7800 was ready years before it came out, at that time it was actually pretty impressive apart from the sound chip which was the same one found in the 2600, what an odd decision. As was the one to sit on it doing nothing.

The 7800 still managed to outsell the Master System in the US though.

Yep...the 7800 is one of those what ifs.  If Atari had built the POKEY sound chip into the console instead of having to add it to the carts, AND , if they had decided to support it with new games instead of yet more old arcade game ports, who knows what would have happened?

Nintendo probably would have come up with a deal with Atari who could at least been a NES distributor for them (according to the Sheff's Game Over) but they screwed it up - a mix of arrogance, complacency and incompetence. 

The 7800 was at least as capable as the NES though in different ways - think the NES had a tile architecture that was pretty powerful while the 7800 had pure grunt.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah, 7800 could definitely handle more sprites per line than the NES for example.

Nice stories/posts from many on here btw. I've read them all, good times had by many. 

Its at times like this I wish the forum had a 'like' feature, sometimes its nice to know your ramblings have been read and acknowledged, or is that just me?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Would be a nice feature.

But - yeah some nice posts in this thread. People older than I thought here....
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I’m too rich to remember Atari.

Ftfy?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    OOhh.. just remembered Space Shuttle for the 2600.

This "epic" game came with overlays for the console as it used all the switches as controls. It was a basic sim with a launch, orbit insertion, satellite rendezvous, re-entry and landing phases.  

The launch phase had a great screen shaking effect that was quite the thing back then.

You had to manage fuel on the full sim level (satellite rendezvous gave you more fuel) and you had a target number of satellites to dock with ; each one becoming harder to lock on to - which involved matching its speed in 3 dimensions while simultaneously homing in on its position.

Re-entry was a nice phase as you lost instrumentation in places because of ionisation effects. A really cool game.

The switches on the console controlled stuff like the payload bay doors, landing gear etc. When you suffered a failure you got a status code you had to look up in the manual to see why you died  :)

Coded on a machine designed to play Pong and Tank. Incredible.
    space_shuttle.png
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    some of the more impressive homebrews:

Thrust - a remake of the C64 game that was inspired by Gravitar - a seriously tough coin muncher from Atari. The 2600 port faithfully recreates the physics. The graphics are chunky but more than serviceable  - in fact it adds to the charm. Technically miraculous.

Medieval Mayhem - a remake of Warlords which adds in all the features that the arcade game had and then some. Another technical tour-de-force. This game would hold its own in any local multi-player situation today. Shames the XBL version on the 360.

Space Rocks - remake of Asteroids with a pile of modes.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Millionaire Todd Frye (made his pile on original 2600 Pacman royalties) wryly "reviews" an 8K homebrew remake. His version ran in 4K.

• My Dad bought one of these for the brother and I after he'd spent six weeks away working in Columbia. It was the longest he's ever been away and the most expensive thing he'd ever bought us. It was also the time when they were about to split up and I think it might have been an attempt to soften the blow. Having Space Invaders at home seemed so astonishing. I remember the feel of the rubber joystick in the hand so vividly and that it shared the same design of concentric circles that were at the base of most car gearsticks of the time. 

A few years later my Dad came home with a ZX Spectrum and my long love affair with games was sealed. We spent hours typing in games written in BASIC in magazines. Fuck me this is taking me back. We used to go to a weekly computer club where everyone used to bring their machines and I remember seeing Jetpac and being bowled over by it. 

I kinda feel sorry for the kids today. Everything was moving at such a pace back then and although games have improved significantly, you just don't hear kids talking that much about the graphics anymore. Back then new machines were coming like crazy and British ones were some of the best. 

Of course, in my early twenties and as a sophisticated Edge reader it was suddenly immature to think such things and the cultural talk was all about the gameplay. It's all different now. Nobody really mentions graphics or gameplay anymore and the focus is perhaps more sensibly about whether a game is good or not. 

Still, I feel sorry for the kids and their better games. There's no sense anymore that the future is going to be better and more exciting, and that goes beyond games and seems to apply to everything. Back then though, when my Dad told me I could go to the Moon when I grew up, it was all going to be better, and the Atari 2600 was the start of that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They were pioneering times. You couldn't ever get that rush back. Kids are born into a world in which gaming exists. I feel lucky to have lived through their "invention", the height of the arcade era, and the start of home gaming.

Gaming is stupendously good today of course but having that feeling of where it came from enriches the experience in my opinion.
  • My main memories of the 2600 are playing games with my family. It’s the only console/computer I’ve ever had that family have wanted to play. I would play Combat with my Dad, my Mum and Sister would play Frogger and Pac-Man. Even My Mum would play Combat if we were playing Tanks as she liked the game with ‘ping pong’ shells. Many happy memories.

The closest I’ve got to that in more recent years is Wii Sports or some of the Wii Fit games with friends, but I don’t think anything will ever beat those 2600 days. 

In a previous post I mentioned some close friends of my Mum and Dad who we would go and stay with. They always had a full house with four grown up children, some married with their own children. Of course, when we went to stay, all of their family were there. Some nights simply involved conversation, alcohol and Atari. The joystick would be passed round and there would be cheers or jeers, depending on your performance on Asteroids, Kaboom! or Pac-Man. Somewhere there is a photo of me sitting in between my Dad and his friend Max, both me and my Dad holding Atari joysticks and my Dad and Max are clearly pissed. As Max had been frequently passing me his glass of beer I am also slightly blotto. I think I was about eight. Cherished memories.
  • @ Davy.

It certainly does and it all happened so quickly. The best games are still to come but an incremental increase doesn't have the same same impact as seeing 54 colours on the NES followed by 32,000 on the SNES, SMW followed by SM64. Heady days. Games have more subtle beauty now but less impact and amazement is, or at least was, a key factor in appreciation.
  • I had some third party jobbie. Took regular carts on the top and the weird long ones on the back.

Got it early 80s.

Defender was great. Chopper command.

Q-bert
    River raid II.
    pitfall
    HERO.
    I recall losing my shit in full gamer rage fashion because of kung fu when I was younger.

In the middle of the lounge room too, with parents around. Poor parents.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Enjoying this thread. We had one, iirc it was my brother's. I was about five or six and played Cookie Monster Munch obsessively as I loved the character. Then I got a Mega Drive and shit went real.

We had the keypad overlay and everything, was so cash.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Yep...the 7800 is one of those what ifs.

On the other hand, Commodore had some of the best chips in the '80s from MOS, and they still went down with the A600. SEGA and Nintendo were just too good.

Superman's the only 2600 game I've played, and I didn't have a scoob what that was about. Some sort of flying man.
  • I had a pirated version which my parents got me in the very early nineties... had about 100 games (actually several variations of a few games). It wasn't great at the time, but it was a step up from my hand-me-down Odyssey 2.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Yep...the 7800 is one of those what ifs.
    On the other hand, Commodore had some of the best chips in the '80s from MOS, and they still went down with the A600. SEGA and Nintendo were just too good. Superman's the only 2600 game I've played, and I didn't have a scoob what that was about. Some sort of flying man.

Aye. Content is king. Nintendo et al were taking gaming to the next level. The creativity had shifted from West to East by that point.

Atari with its distribution channels could have been involved with that and also have had a preferential licensing deal for their own games on the NES. Sadly it wasn't to be. Apparently some guy from Atari at a crunch meeting fell asleep and that understandably rankled the Nintendo top brass.....
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @Facewon...

HERO was one of he greats. Pretty tough after the first few levels - technically very strong too. Wouldn't take much of a brush up to be a nice mobile game nowadays.
  • Loving everyone's stories in this thread.

top stuff

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • How could I forget Missile Command? Never owned it, but played it so many times. Loved that game. Also Activision Skiing. Played that with Dad a lot.

Another memory is when we went shopping on a Saturday. If we went to Boots to collect our photos for example I would always ask if I could look at the games. I distinctly remember a definite bias in Boots towards Activision. Lots of colourful boxes including titles like River Raid, Stampede, Pitfall!, Enduro, Sky Jinks, Dragster and Oink. I never owned any of these games, but I was in no doubt that they were all fun to play. Look at the bright, jolly boxes. How can something that colourful not contain something fun?
  • Did anyone ever get the Art of Atari book that came out in the last couple of years?

http://www.artofatari.com

Looks ace.

AtariInteriorSampleF.jpg
    AtariInteriorSampleE.jpg
    AtariInteriorSampleD.jpg
    AtariInteriorSampleC.jpg
  • I have that and it's great. Went on a nostalgia trip with it over a few evenings. There is some cracking artwork relating to an arcade game called Gotcha! Not inappropriate at all and as for the original controllers, well.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have that artbook too. Saw it in HMV and even though I knew I'd probably get it cheaper online I couldn't resist getting it there and then. Gorgeous book. Cliff Spohn was the boss as far as I'm concerned.

The artwork on those game boxes, especially the early Atari ones, evoke a really warm and fuzzy nostalgia for a simpler time.  Sigh.

Also @skondo - Activision titles were usually top notch - mainly because they were developed by the cream of Atari who left when they got pissed off with the deal they had.

Fishing Derby was a favourite in our house. It was an early game by David Crane (Pitfall et al) - a 2 player race to catch 99pts worth of fish. The deeper fish were worth more and there was a shark to avoid that would eat the fish off the line. The fact that only 1 person could reel in at a time added a back and forth feel to play and it caused emergent tactical thought. Do I try and slip 2 in a row in by going for shallow 2pt fish but run the risk of being stuck with it if the other player nabs a 6 pointer before I can catch it? 

There was a decent AI opponent but it was all about the 2 player. My father played this one as the mechanics reminded him of his job as a crane driver.  :)

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My mother never partook in Atari. She called it "that space game" or the "beep beep machine".  :)

Video Chess was another marvel. Hilariously the screen blanked out when the computer was thinking because it used up too much execution time to display the board at the same time (no screen buffer remember).

So I had a travel chess set that I used when playing against it. It was fascinating playing against a computer back then though. My father couldn't believe such as thing was possible. And to swap a cartridge and be playing something like Space Invaders seconds later? Sorcery!
  • The artwork for Atari stuff was largely amazing.

Reminds me a lot of the Boys Own Paper.
  • The artwork for Atari stuff was largely amazing. Reminds me a lot of the Boyzone Paper.

Don't see it myself but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Top stories all btw.
  • Goddamn, the 2600 eh? My first anything for home gaming, that wood veneered bastard was possibly my first love too. Although mine was only second hand it didn’t matter - it was mine and I loved every second I played on it.

I literally wore it out, with the connections between the switches on the console failing and through some extremely bodged amateur electronic repair I got another 6 months out of it. I still don’t know how I, as a 12 year old idiot, managed to fix it with tinfoil and blue tack but it worked.

Got through 3 of the joysticks too - I absolutely loved that rubber gripped, orange buttoned marvel and luckily there was quite a decent second hand market in my town so it was quite easy to get cheap replacements. I used the rubber bastards well into my C64 years.

Favourite game? Pitfall 2 by a country mile - the first proper adventure game I ever played. I remember playing Tomb Raider on the PS1 (the console that got me back into gaming) and getting the same feeling of being lost in a game where I believed I was discovering uncharted territory. Amazing.

Also loved Combat, Yars Revenge which had fantastic cover art, ET (which I knew was shit but wanted to love), Crystal Castles, Dig Dug was immense - so much fun, Joust and Pole Position (shiny tyres).

I owned very few of these games but so many of my friends at school and mates in my street had a woody that it was a large scale community swap a thon.

Sigh. Good times.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I wore a joystick or two out myself. I don't think I've put in more hours on any other console.  I still think it's a decent controller for the style of game it plays host to. The ones I have are still pretty responsive. There's a healthy market for kits for reconditioning them.

Forgot to mention - Megadrive controllers work with the 2600.  :)

The holy grail of the 2600 collector scene is the "heavy sixer". It was the first generation of the hardware assembled in California. It's the classic wood grain shape but the plastic edging is thicker and more rounded at the corners. It also came with joysticks of a slightly better build quality.

Most people have the light sixer which is the most popular "woody".

There was a revision of hardware that moved the difficulty switches to the back - called the 4 switcher.

Then there is the all black model - called the Vader in collecting circles.

Finally there was the remodelling to a modern slab design called the Junior.

A Vader & Jr yesterday..
    100_0988-300x225.jpg

I much prefer the woody design though the Vader does look nice. There are all sorts of stories of different models having better/worse video quality which of course was ropey old RF - but that was good enough in the day. I still use mine hooked up that way to my CRT and the picture is pretty damn good.

You can get them modded for composite. And there are RGB SCART mods too but I've heard results are mixed.

There is a rare French model that works with RGB SCART but it uses the SECAM TV standard which has very restricted colour palette so the games look pretty shit which is a pity.

The cartridges also went through several revisions - early ones had text only labels with later ones having the box art reproduced in miniature on them. The collector scene is bewildering as each game comes in so many cart versions.

Atari did a deal with Sears back in the day that enable Sears to produce their own version of the console. The games were renamed with special labelling too - making things worse for any OCD collector.

There are hordes of clones and hacks too - particularly from Brazil for some reason.

Then there was the infamous Mystique games for adults including Custer's Revenge et al that were sold under the counter and came in VHS style packaging.
  • Just doesn't feel right without the proper joystick though. No console does tbh.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pitfall 2 was an amazing achievement on the 2600. Way ahead of its time. But that music put me off - was ear splitting.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!