ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I recall Home Alone and Robocop getting a lot of love. Also Mario Gold and Tennis were fun
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • mk64 wrote:
    1) SML
    2) 6 golden coins
    3) Wario Land
    4) Double Dragon
    5) Nes Football
    6) Gargoyles Quest
    7) Pinball Dreams/Fantasies
    8) Tetris
    9) Boxxle
    10) Nebulus/Castelian
    11) Zelda LA
    12) Pokemon Yellow/Red/Blue/Green
    13) Metroid ||
    14) Final Fantasy Legend
    15) TMNT
    16) Castlevania 2: Belmonts Revenge
    17) Micro Machines
    18) Alleyway
    19) Batman
    20) Gremlins 2

That's a solid enough list but there's licence issues on many of those.

Then theres games that are fine but much better elsewhere. Micro Machines springs to mind.

If Nintendo are gonna do this then those issues are very real.

20 meaningful games without licensing restrictions would be much more tricky.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It’d be interesting to see how/if our want lists correlate with the best selling list.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Third-party games might not be that much of a nightmare since they'll have negotiated and cleared the VC releases for 3DS not too long ago. It's not like NES and SNES where VC didn't take off as much on Wii U and the big VC console was the Wii from, like, a million years ago.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • They probably would.

To be fair mks list is actually better than I first thought, he hasn't even got DK 94 or Land on there.

I still can't see this happening though. NES and SNES were easy sells, GB and N64 have a few bumps in the road that make them a lot less feasible imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Third-party games might not be that much of a nightmare since they'll have negotiated and cleared the VC releases for 3DS not too long ago. It's not like NES and SNES where VC didn't take off as much on Wii U and the big VC console was the Wii from, like, a million years ago.

I'm pretty sure there's more NES games on the Wii U than there was Wii.

Regardless my point wasn't that kind of licensing. It's games like Batman and Turtles. Konami made TMNT on Game Boy but they no longer hold the licence, I think Platinum do now.

So that's two green lights and money Nintendo have to pay out instead of one for Castlevania for example.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Didn't the Platinum game get pulled from PSN/XBL?  The license might be in limbo now, which possibly makes it even trickier.
  • Exactly.

Off the top of my head the Turtles games were pulled from the VC along with the R-Types and even the DKC games for a brief period.

The Simpsons Arcade Game and Out Run 2 are no also longer on PSN.

I'm sure there's a shit load more.

Licensing is a right bastard that many of us forget about.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeah sega don't have the Ferrari license any more :(
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A few have already said this but I'll add my tuppence worth....DK '94 is one of the best platformers around - handheld or otherwise.  Well worth looking out for.  And for the optimal experience play it with a Super Gameboy to get the nice border art that makes the game look like it's being played in a DK cabinet.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Battletoads.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • never played dk '94 but if it was going on the best games list for the GB it'd be on there from what i've read.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • The quantity of big games isn't necessarily an issue. You've still got your Marios, Zeldas, Pokemons, Metroid, Kirby, Tetris, Donkey Kong. Plus 3rd party stuff like Castlevania, Gradius, Contra, Ninja Gaiden, Gargoyle's Quest, Gator's Revenge etc.

I think it's more that a lot of those games just aren't as desirable as the NES or SNES games. They're slightly cut down versions of the real thing in many cases, and either display in monochrome or the crude colour effects of the GBC. There are still a few really good ones in there, but mostly I wouldn't want to play them now.
  • Bang on mate.

Anyone here played SML recently? I got it on VC for 3DS and completed it in about 45mins.

Good for its time, forgetful as fuck now.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I still have a soft spot for sml. The music, the pixelated dot matrix b&w graphics. It still controls excellent, on par with nes controls.
    Dunno how nintendo managed that but hey....
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Fair play mate, I was never a huge GB fan tbh. The screen was so poor. Once the novelty of playing games on the go under a lamp wore off it went largely unused until the pocket arrived.

That was a bit of a game changer and gave the platform a new lease of life for me. That was when I played Zelda which was quite incredible tbh.

I passed the GBC and got a GBA. Same thing happened, OG had a shit screen but I got more out of it with the SP but not the same as Pocket levels.

DS/PSP is when I really got into the handhelds. Loved both of those and 3DS and now Switch have carried the baton very well for me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • SMLs flying sections are brilliant
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • They'd make a lot more with a GB app. 50p a game.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Nah, this is premium nostalgia with their dinkified hardware. N64 Mini and GameCube Mini are locks at this rate.
  • WorKid wrote:
    They'd make a lot more with a GB app. 50p a game.

50p?! You’re having a laugh.
    This is Nintendo we’re talking about!

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!