Sonic Mania
  • I had a route on one of the stages of Emerald Hill Zone in Sonic 2 that I thought was pretty much perfect.  Grab the speedy boots, get in a certain position, spin dash up a hill, then hold right, bounce off TV screens and enemies all the way (off screen for most of it), slight readjustment near the end of the stage, success.  I honestly thought it must be the best run in the world, was 22/23 secs or something.  Then I saw a faster one on a high scores page of a magazine.

hqdefault.jpg
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It's interesting how some of the rock formations seem to be there specifically to fuck up speedrunners.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • They fuck up my hamfist runs too
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    That WR video is like when they had the expert on the Generation Game and they'd demonstrate creating a piece of beautiful pottery and then my own efforts by contrast are like when the plebs had a go and ended up just making a horrible lump of clay while Bruce Forsyth watched on in dismay.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Eric wrote:
    I think this is the current WR run on Greenhill. It's pretty mesmeric:

Aye, this is the gist of Sonic.
    You can play it like a mario title exploring every nook and cranny but after that it's all about parkour running through a level. It's part memorising obstacles and part knowing when to surrender control to blistering speed.

Crazy run that wr.

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    That WR video is like when they had the expert on the Generation Game and they'd demonstrate creating a piece of beautiful pottery and then my own efforts by contrast are like when the plebs had a go and ended up just making a horrible lump of clay while Bruce Forsyth watched on in dismay.

It's no co-incidence he passed the day after my speedrun attempt.
  • Ha ha ha
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • This game reminds me why I like NSMB. The platforming feels wrong after twenty years. Cheap deaths, fake routes with bumpers sending you to spikes. 

Back to my $10 digital maximum rule.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I've never been sent to spikes by the bumpers. you can send yourself there after with the wrong move, but that isn't the games fault.
  • FBZ has a number of slings that send you into irritating enemies, and bounce you into spikes.

Act 2 is the prime offender.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Ugh just ignore me for now. Tired and grumpy. Shouldn't have been playing it.
  • I like a grumpy moan, but yourfavouriteuncle's rant retains the crown.
  • I don't usually take part in Time Attack competitions, because A)I never get near anyone else's time, and B ) I get fed up of start/mistake/restart gaming.

After setting my previous 'best', I stopped trying. I then challenged myself to finish the blue sphere game.

Tonight I went back, and a completely unenjoyable evening eventually resulted in....

NfvajiA.jpg
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Great run Mark, absolutely smashed it!

FFS!
  • Finally beaten The Oil Ocean boss. Grrrr..

Yay lava reef zone!
  • It is 2017 and time to play a Sonic the Hedgehog game that apparently doesn't gobble a tank of shitty dicks.
  • Uhh so Green Hill and Chemical Plant and Flying Battery again? Uhh bullshit.

Pretty sure I caught some Pulseman scenery in the Studiozone there.
  • Sorry Mark...
  • Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I hate
    Spoiler:

It's just so slow, and long.
  • Eric wrote:
    Sorry Mark...

It's fine, honestly ;)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • God I'm terrible at this speedrunning thing.

We need them to do the Master System levels as DLC, then I can smash you all on that.
  • Titanic monarch might be the worst Sonic Zone I've ever played, and of course it's topped off with a dodgy boss making replays all the more inevitable.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Made some progress on my Sonic run tonight.

A few things of note based on earlier convo.

Hydro act 1 boss.
    There was discussion on the point of dropping bombs. I noticed that if you drop them on top of Robotnick's bomb they neutralise each other so there is less risk of pulling up Robotnik's bombs in the turbine. Not really necessary but that seems to be the point.

Hydro Act 2
    Still not sure why others find the side scrolling part of the boss hard.
    Touch the canon thing to start it tracking you, keep yourself the cannon and Robotnik roughly inline, dodge the projectile.

Plane section.
    People always struggle with this and seem to in Sonic 2 but I have always found it easy. Tails will catch you in his plane every time so don't even think about it. The main danger is landing on a large turtle which act as a platform. It is a bit of a mind duck I guess, that you don't have to land on the plane, the plane will always come to you.

Oil Ocean Boss 2
    Much, much,much easier with Sonic than Knuckles.
    The problem with Knuckles is as I hammered jump to get out of the oil I would inevitably start glidingas soon as I did. Sonic's jump also seems higher as I could take out the act 1 boss really quickly whereas I couldn't reach him with Knuckles.
  • Tails doesn't always catch you with the plane though. He doesn't miss very often, but it happened to me once out of three runs through.

My main gripe was that the boss of the zone just refused to perform the attack that let me hurt him. He just went back and forth for three minutes until attrition wore my rings down.

Hydro City act 2 sidescrolling just feels off to me, and because you aren't me you're not gonna feel that I guess.
  • The trick, I gather, is to find it easy.
  • Sorry wasn't trying to start something.

Perhaps I have been very lucky with Tails and his plane.

Feels is feels I guess. I probably struggle more with Mario than any 2D Sonic as Sonic was a huge part of my youth.

Which boss are you referring to that refused to do an attack Tempy? The ones I listed have been standard pattern for me.
  • The weather one I think.

Also: I don't think the bosses are difficult to physically perform the actions to beat. It's more that you are put in fairly lethal situations and you have to unpick what will be a newish mechanic
    Spoiler:

and without knowing what you need to do it is likely you can die to game over. I think not playing many sonics is a real handicap here. Anyway this would be forgivable if starting at act 1 wasn't the punishment, especially if the levels are fairly easy but time consuming (5-10 mins per level) just to try out a technique on the boss.

I dropped bloodborne because the trek to the first boss was too long after every death.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!