The not-Edge thread of gaming thoroughbreads
  • I reckon anything new by blizzard. Although not the same brand (although sometimes same universe) every single new one is deffo worth a sit up and notice.
    What do they make?
  • There last games have been something like diablo 3, Starcraft 2, hearthstone and overwatch.
  • Starcraft every decade or so.
  • There last games have been something like diablo 3, Starcraft 2, hearthstone and overwatch.
    Oh right.
  • They make a much bigger splash in PC land where a blizzard launch is considered a pretty big event. It's cooled somewhat since the releases of Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm and Overwatch all landed together, but they're basically the Nintendo of PC. Mechanics, style and aesthetic polish that are usually unparalleled.
  • What bliz, Nintendo and rockstar have figured out is that great base games take ages to make (I think five years per game is not unreasonable) but that blizzard and rockstar have done is pad out the game with perpetual updates and things to do.
  • I don't think Rockstar have as much in common beyond their release schedules. Blizzard and Nintendo (and i'd also say Bungie) were all primarily concerned with making every action, every button press, fun and rewarding. You can see it in the end results, and Bungie especially used to be very candid in how they would slash weapon numbers and enemy types for the service of a small core set of ideas that work. This is getting off topic tho'
  • Metal Gear Solid games are usually well received and hyped to the max.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • They are different in that regard, but Rockstar are the same in terms of it releases 'when it's ready', and if they feel it needs more polish, they will give it that polish. The key is quality, not filling out a spreadsheet for that quarter, because the quality for those companies will bring in the money eventually.

They might take a different approach to how to deliver that quality, but the reason their games are event releases is the same.
  • I'd agree with that
  • Metal Gear Solid games are usually well received and hyped to the max.
    Yeah, that's another one.
  • Resident Evil then too, and Final Fantasy, but I think most of these big japanese franchises have too much chaff - Zelda included
  • Definitely think Forza has paid its dues.
  • The FFs and Resis haven't maintained the quality though and have at times released too much too quickly. There was relatively little hype about either of the recent games.
  • On the other hand, Brooks is right.
  • Surely throughbred games are those that consistently score in the 90% range consistantly. Hence the Zelda, GTAs, Mario's, Metal Gear Solids, Dark Souls games. Sure there are other series which rarely dip below that 90% threshold. I can't think of them right now.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Surely throughbred games are those that consistently score in the 90% range consistantly. Hence the Zelda, GTAs, Mario's, Metal Gear Solids, Dark Souls games. Sure there are other series which rarely dip below that 90% threshold. I can't think of them right now.

I think sales should be taken into account as well though. Thats what pushes games into the public conscience to the point where they can become 'events'. Going back, you would not have had Sonic Twosday without both the critical and commercial success of Sonic 1. Obviously it doesnt mean it needs 10s across the board or be COD levels of sales but 8s or highers with sales in the multi millions should be the metric.
    SFV - reddave360
  • In the context of Edge's statement in their latest edition and if you only go by their reviews only (after all they made the statement). Then Zelda and Mario are the only series never to score less than a 9 in any of their major releases. I think Metal Gear and Souls have never scored less than 9's either but i might be wrong. I think that's how they are defining an "event", a game where the quality is guaranteed, that always brings something new to the table. One that sucks you into its world and doesn't let go until you finish.

There are lots of great games that joe public ignore. Cause they want the latest release of COD or FIFA (good games in their own right, but not throughbreds). Therefore if we went by sales then joe public games would be considered events i agree. However as i said i dont think thats in the context of the Edge statement.
  • For the record, Metal Gear has no 10s, 2 9's and 3 8's. Mario by comparison has 3 10's (!!) and nothing lower than a 9 in the main series. Zelda equally has 3 10s and the rest 9s in the main series. GTA is 2 x 10, 1 x 9 and 3 x 8s for the main series and a 7 (assuming Vice City and San Andreas do count)

Halo deserves a shout I think - 2 x 10s, 1 x 9 and 2 8s.

If we just take the Modern Warfares, call of duty gets 3 9s. Bayonetta has 2 for 2 in regards ten on tens and Forza has 3 9s, 3 8s and 2 7s. And although its now dead, Rock Band pulled a ten, 2 nines and an eight which isn't bad. Half Life gets an 8,9 and 10 and if you add orange box you get another 10 but thats a little unfair as it contains 2 of the Half life games

Point being, by their own metric they are spot on
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Even I can't be arsed with this list-me-do.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Can you get horse wellies?

f8b9a8569a70548033ccca44f9fc95ad.jpg
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    For the record, Metal Gear has no 10s, 2 9's and 3 8's. Mario by comparison has 3 10's (!!) and nothing lower than a 9 in the main series. Zelda equally has 3 10s and the rest 9s in the main series. GTA is 2 x 10, 1 x 9 and 3 x 8s for the main series and a 7 (assuming Vice City and San Andreas do count)

Halo deserves a shout I think - 2 x 10s, 1 x 9 and 2 8s.

If we just take the Modern Warfares, call of duty gets 3 9s. Bayonetta has 2 for 2 in regards ten on tens and Forza has 3 9s, 3 8s and 2 7s. And although its now dead, Rock Band pulled a ten, 2 nines and an eight which isn't bad. Half Life gets an 8,9 and 10 and if you add orange box you get another 10 but thats a little unfair as it contains 2 of the Half life games

Point being, by their own metric they are spot on

That some in depth fact finding dude. :)
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    For the record, Metal Gear has no 10s, 2 9's and 3 8's. Mario by comparison has 3 10's (!!) and nothing lower than a 9 in the main series. Zelda equally has 3 10s and the rest 9s in the main series. GTA is 2 x 10, 1 x 9 and 3 x 8s for the main series and a 7 (assuming Vice City and San Andreas do count) Halo deserves a shout I think - 2 x 10s, 1 x 9 and 2 8s. If we just take the Modern Warfares, call of duty gets 3 9s. Bayonetta has 2 for 2 in regards ten on tens and Forza has 3 9s, 3 8s and 2 7s. And although its now dead, Rock Band pulled a ten, 2 nines and an eight which isn't bad. Half Life gets an 8,9 and 10 and if you add orange box you get another 10 but thats a little unfair as it contains 2 of the Half life games Point being, by their own metric they are spot on

What GTAs got what out of interest?

How many Half Lifes? There's only 2 plus Orange Box right?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The most recent two got 10s. San Andreas got 9, 3 and Vice City got 8s. Dunno about 1 and 2.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • You haven't played half life 3? C'mon. It's yoss's favourite!
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Fucking elf.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    If Half Life 3 ever drops it'll be the first ever EDGE [11]
  • Facewon wrote:
    Fucking elf.

Enjoy it. I did the same once and never looked back.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!