Teleologically Inclined (a thread about endings)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It has 3 doesn't it?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hahaha, queue bollo planning another passthrough trying to work out how to trigger the third ending
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Little King's Story (the Wii version not the Vita one) has one of the best endings I can remember.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Portal! Loved that from start to finish, but it ended well and the credits sequence was amazing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Actually I can remember Zelda:ALttP being quite satisfying.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Seconds (or perhaps seconds to last in the modern era of splitting final parts is more general) in trilogy's have the freedom to ratchet up without the actual necessity to pay off.

Essentially they can be a cheats dramatic ending the drama is as a result dropping you with nothing while not attracting ire because another thing is promised to fill the void. The best examples are Star Wars v and mass effect 2.

I think one of my favourite endings is braids
    Spoiler:
    beautifully done and kind of affecting.
  • g.man wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Recently I loved the Uncharted 4 ending. I could explain why but I'd have to put stuff in spoilers. Maybe later. It's freezing and snowing and I'm itching for some hot food. Ah, there's a Leon!
    I'd be interested to hear why, because I thought the ending was abysmal.

One of the reasons is probably cos it was an actual ending of some decent length (but not too long) and I liked the epilogue too. Most games just end or you get a little bit of a scene so I welcomed a slightly more fleshed out ending. 

And I liked the characterisation in this game and the fact they did something more at the end with it/them. Instead of the usual yeah great what an adventure, bye. Some of it tied back to the conversations and setup at the start of the game which felt good. Dunno, it just felt good and more than what most games offer. 

Similarly, I liked MGS3 ending. You see more character, and it isn't a bad length. Not just a ten second cutscene and not 2 hours like MGS4. Felt about right and the tone was good.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Nothing beats ICO though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I think it's universally agreed that film lord of the rings 3 multiple
    Endings in a row is excessive bullshit (and I guess by extension metal Gear Solid 4s).
  • Tempy wrote:
    If you're enjoying the game's narrative, having it end badly can be annoying, like a TV show having a crap final episode. You can probably enjoy the journey, but the ending is the last thing you experience, so it can colour your memories.  

'Sup good wife final ep.

I liked Firewatch ending. I thought...

It was, apart from the interpersonal angle, having a lot of fun with expectations, I recall getting to the other tower at the end with fingers crossed that it wasn't going to go Portal.
    Both portals have excellent endings. 

Big shout to Halo CE for doing simple journey well.

Ori was lovely, recently.

uncharted 2 had massive issues with pace, design and length. Awful on so many levels. (So many levels.)

I recall starting a thread on the old maroon room which pissed of P1, I believe I called it "Devs who don't understand their own games." I'd just finished Mark of Kri, which massively screwed the pooch in the final section and stopped using all it's awesome mechanics. (I realise this is slightly different from pure narrative issues, but mechanics and design seem to go hand in hand with bad narrative decisions.

Big up for Sands of Time for being the only game ever to do take away all the player upgrades/gear stylie well. I usually fucking hate that, but it nails it.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Zelda ALttP is my fav. First I can remember where I 'returned peace' to the land by it showing the impact you had on the NPCs.

There's been loads of good ones but that one will always be special to me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I think it's universally agreed that film lord of the rings 3 multiple
    Endings in a row is excessive bullshit (and I guess by extension metal Gear Solid 4s).

That fucking film. I honestly must have got out my seat in the cinema about three times when the screen dimmed after each ending thinking it was over. Didn't help that after 90 mins or so I always get uncomfortable and fidgety in cinema seats.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I needed a vintage cinema piss, and that happened, fucking peter fucking jackson.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • davyK wrote:
    Actually I can remember Zelda:ALttP being quite satisfying.

Love an RPG ending that shows you how you've effected the world!

Especially love how a lot of western RPG's show parts of the world or characters have gone to ruin, if you failed or ignored their particular quests.  Always makes me want to immediately start a new quest and make sure no one gets left behind!

Reckon ME3's ending would have been better received if it had a quick wrap up of what happened around the galaxy thanks to your choices.  Not sure how ambiguous endings can be a satisfying ending to something a long winded as an RPG.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    RotTR annoyed me a bit with its ending section. Just utter guff. Gameplay stopped being fun, and it made you jump through hoops it must have known you could do cos you've got that far in the game. And while I was basically ignoring plot it jumped the same shark that all uncharted & Lara games seem to.

There was then a snippet which was basically "and we're going to make a follow on, maybe in mexico", which didn't seem hugely exciting either.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!