The Alternative Nintendo Switch Thread: A Relentlessly, Remorselessly Positive Discussion
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Can we find out what we can joke about please ta.

Like, where's the line. Quite imperative to my tedious shtick.
  • Tough fucking crowd Cinty.

Serves me right for making /gif/ references, imo.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Should I start an argument as a distraction?
  • Since when did you ask permission for that?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Should I start an argument as a distraction?

No, no one takes your opinions seriously anyway. Haiyoo!
  • Out of the way, Dante!
  • Like, where's the line.

Somewhere before ravishing, apparently.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Noted. Can make sex jokes but don't push it. Albeit I've never heard complaints on previous iterations of the board but that's the modern culture I guess.

Anyhoo, carry on the positivity lads.
  • Your constant derision of "modern culture" triggers me btw
  • Some staggering levels of depth to that post there, I want an essay in by 5, cheers
  • Tempy wrote:
    Some staggering levels of depth to that post there, I want an essay in by 5, cheers

Your post or his? How many words?
  • Mine - 500 words on the use of self-reflexivity in jokes
  • Insert self-love / gag reflex joke here.
  • I'm delivering mental health crisis / suicide intervention training in January. It has what amounts to, but is not explicitly labelled as, a trigger warning at the start. Given how some people react to trigger warnings, do I need to give them a trigger warning that I'm about to deliver a trigger warning? Tempy, you're modern, you'll know.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Modern as a pejorative?
  • You need to give a Supertrigger warning, which is the Supertask version of a trigger warning, wherein you give infinite trigger warnings because of having to give a trigger warning about the previous trigger warning, about each proceeding trigger warning, all within a finite and measurable amount of time.
  • Positive, people.  Positive.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Your constant derision of "modern culture" triggers me btw

you are the problem laddo, and also the solution
  • Tempy wrote:
    You need to give a Supertrigger warning...

I knew I could rely on you, Tempy. I'll go start prepping my safe space...
  • Apologies if I have triggered anyone who actually knows quantum physics or conceptual mathematics and understands what a Supertask really is
  • Tempy wrote:
    Apologies if I have triggered anyone who actually knows quantum physics or conceptual mathematics and understands what a Supertask really is

The problem with supertasks is that any attempt to describe one rapidly approaches complete stonerbabble, therefore 100% clear understanding can never occur. (ie. the nearer you get to completing your explanation, the stupider you sound.)

Describing a supertask is, in itself, a supertask.
  • poprock wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Apologies if I have triggered anyone who actually knows quantum physics or conceptual mathematics and understands what a Supertask really is
    The problem with supertasks is that any attempt to describe one rapidly approaches complete stonerbabble, therefore 100% clear understanding can never occur. (ie. the nearer you get to completing your explanation, the stupider you sound.) Describing a supertask is, in itself, a supertask.

Actually really?  Or playing along really?

Sorry for being a dumbo but I just done draw gardens for me livin' and we not so clever.
  • Googled self-reflexivity in film and I get it. Think about self-reflexivity in jokes and idgi. So, my essay has gone off-piste.

Behold:

An essay on and meta-analysis of the post "Your constant derision of "modern culture" triggers me btw".

The post "Your constant derision of "modern culture" triggers me btw" succeeds on a number of levels and in this essay I aim to draw attention to its greatest structural strengths as well as posit possible meanings. The first way it succeeds is as a garden path post.

A garden path grammatical sentence is a sentence which deliberately obscures its meaning by luring the reader into a mode of thinking that is counter to how it should actually be understood. While grammatically this post is uncomplicated it is worth noting that is leads the reader down a garden path in 2 ways:

Garden Pathed earnestness
    By opening with the words "Your constant derision" we expect the post to be earnest and emotive. However, the ironic use of "triggers" belies an alternative intention behind the post.

Garden Pathed lexicon

Mirroring the decline in earnestness is a switch from formal English to Internet-based linguistics. While the post stars with "Your" it ends with "btw". Were the post intended to be internally consistent it would have started with "U R" or ended with "by the way". From this we can gather that it is a stylistic choice intended to add strength to the previously described bait-and-switch in earnestness.

Another way in which the post is worth analysing is the way in which it uses, mimics and employs the language of modern feminism to both satirise and support it.

Surface level support

On a purely surface-level the post appears to use the language of "triggering" to imply a belief in the ideals of current-wave net-based feminism.

Surface level satirisation

However, the actual style of the post most closely mimics that of those who seek to mock and satirise feminists. Thus, the true meaning is obscured within itself like a wheel within a wheel. It is, as Freud would say, fucking deep.

Meta level support

By analysis the context of the post however, it becomes apparent that the author actually supports the surface level meaning, tying into the double garden path meta-narrative posed above.

Plausible deniability under the bros before hoes codex
    The greatest strength of the post, however, is that the hyper-obscuration of meaning allows the author a blanket ability to deny any accusations of meaning, thus ensuring his continued place within the testosterone infused and patriarchal structure of the Bear and Badger hierarchy.

Conclusion
    The post is dank as fuck.

• I laughed at Cintys thing but then I am a bit of a cunt so who knows.
  • I laughed at both Cinty’s things, but the second one feels like it took him a lot longer to write.

Both at once, I think. But if I tried to justify that I’d probably end up sounding like a tedious stoner who once listened to half a physics lecture.
  • I didn't see his first post but Cinty is always the person to rise to ridiculous demands like writing poems and essays and I can relate to that

Also Supertasks - this is a fun video on it:

• I laughed more at the rapey one because I understood it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This thread is great and better because I missed a questionable thing but you guys are doing the work of pros here
  • poprock wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    The problem with supertasks is that any attempt to describe one rapidly approaches complete stonerbabble, therefore 100% clear understanding can never occur. (ie. the nearer you get to completing your explanation, the stupider you sound.) Describing a supertask is, in itself, a supertask.

Sorry for being a dumbo but I just done draw gardens for me livin' and we not so clever.

I too colour in gardens for a living!

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!