ReMaster vs ReMake
  • Tempy wrote:
    It's entirely subjective, but some of the examples listed are arguably totally detrimental to the vision of the original. Silent Hill 2HD famously increases the draw distance and removed the fog. That sounds great on paper, but silent hill 2's tone is massively reliant on those things.

Yeah, but at least SH2 HD added a whole new level of terror: comic sans.

I love comic sans
  • Remasters - I'm not fussed at all. I usually don't want to play the exact same again but with slightly odd graphics, you know what I mean, not quite cutting edge and not quite retro.

Reboot - Yeh, OK, I'll give them a fair shake of the stick. It's important to hit the core of what made the original on the head though. Reboots in name only are pants.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Yossarian wrote:
    hunk wrote:
    So, there's a correct way to do Remasters and Remakes and a bad way of fucking things up.
    I think we can all agree there's always room for the original release in the package. Certainly makes for interesting comparisons.

Halo did it best, obvs.

That is true to be honest, aside from ranging boner for everything Halo, the remaster incredible with the toggle option. Surprised more remakes don't offer it. The cancelled Goldeneye Xbox 360 remaster did so too.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That switch is amazing. You think the updated version is just how you remember it, you're not even sure if they've changed anything. Hit the button to reveal what they actually looked like and it's like you've just given yourself eye cancer.
  • That switch is amazing. You think the updated version is just how you remember it, you're not even sure if they've changed anything. Hit the button to reveal what they actually looked like and it's like you've just given yourself eye cancer.

Same with Bioshock, I thought it was exactly how I remembered it, when I looked up a few videos of the original, wow...maybe I played it without my contacts in.
  • It appears Skyrim remasterd has landed in my library.
    Worth a look see or is it just different lighting fx?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Good remasters should vastly improve the framerate. The fact that the Resident Evil 4 &5 still aren't able to hit a solid 60 fps on console annoys me.
  • Agreed performance is important.
    On pc they usually upgrade to the latest engine (unreal, cryengine etc) and just throw in a whole bunch of new lighting fx. Usually the end result is a mixed bag, not always for the better.
  • My tuppence:

Remakes for less classic IPs. Remasters for classics, so as not to sully the memory of the original too much. For instance, I'd love a new Turrican or remastered Turrican, but would be horrified if someone simply remade the original dot-for-dot but with shiny new graphics.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Shiny Turrican, hmmm......
  • Welcome back Jim!
  • Cheers Hunk!

Also, TURRICAN! FYI, Manfred Trenz got the rights back in 2011/12 and there are strong rumours of him looking to release a new entry in the franchise.

Please please please please please...
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Just booted up Hrono Trigger on the pc and it's purdy! Remasters and remakes seem to be all the rage now. Some suggestions for IP ripe for a reboot.

Squeenix
    Secret of Mana 2
    Vagrant Story

Capcom
    Darkstalkers compilation
    Capcom Vs Snk compilation
    Marvel vs Capcom compilation
    Resident Evil 3/Code Veronica

Sega
    Shining Force series
    The whole MD back catalogue

Nintendo
    Whole nes/SNES back catalogue on a mini console/vc

Snk
    Whole Neo Geo back catologue on Neo Geo mini

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!