Inside
  • Watched Roujin play this through last night. Always love the reaction to the final sequence
  • Incredible game.
  • Oh there's a thread for this! This game is amazing!!!!

Evidence cross posted from Twitch thread:
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Amazing strim Rouj :D
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Oh there's a thread for this!

So there is; moved from Twitch thred...

Having watched R's playthrough, Temp, I've no desire to play it. Most of these indie platformers are heavy on experience and light on mechanics. Hotline Miami and its mates are the opposite: much better played than watched, because their rewards come from refining your skills enough to progress. Ditto fightmen, racing games...

This is the first Unity game I've seen to give a really good impression of force (although some of the wall-thudding impacts are missing effects to make them more convincing). I've a hunch that a bunch of Unity's shortcomings are hidden by 2D? @LazyGunn If not, 3D's obviously a huge time commitment, and most of the bigger teams create with UE4.

I'd enjoy a game that looks and controls like Inside, but with dexterity challenges rather than its simple - and often laborious - puzzles. And call me Captain Wrong, but you know my view on shoehorning Gordian-by-allusion narrative into these things. Like Rod, I don't want to talk about it.

And I know what you're thinking, Tempy, but it doesn't mean I'm against this sort of deepmanning wholesale - just my perception of its implementation. I like Hieronymus, but I just look at his paintings, y'know. If I tried to contextualise his work I'd sound like another art-school wazzock. Projecting through art's fantastic, but its title's on the condescendingly, witness-our-loft! explanatory side for me. Call it Boy and it's the same deal, but I'd praise it for its grip on the reins (we'd all like to be admired, just maybe don't push so hard). Trysoft. /grump
  • I think you have a very strange perception of the nature of game engines like Unity and Unreal, Escape. 3D is no easier or harder in Unreal or Unity, they can both create beautiful 3D experiences in quite a straightforward manner. Unreal is more publically used by 'large teams' maybe through to there already being a large amount of big dev experience with Unreal and Unreal lacking the weird misconceptions about Unity. Nethertheless a large number of 'big team games' are made with unity with certain enormous publishers having enormous contracts with Unity. Unity employ over 800 people, its one of the largest developers of entertainment middleware on earth, your opinions are from 5 years ago! Regarding 'force', Unity implements Physx 3, as does Unreal, how it is used is down to the developer not the engine
  • The sub is the best sub in all of gaming though.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    they can both create beautiful 3D experiences in quite a straightforward manner.

So with more time or a larger team, you could make a game like this in 3D? That's cool. I really do like how it looks and moves, I just find it heavy-handed thematically. A wee bit humourless, unless...

Spoiler:
  • The game technically is 3d just constrained to a 2D movement plane but sure, most if not all of the visual effects would translate to 3D fine, I already have experience with similar lighting and skin shading. I don't think it demands you reach some deep conclusion, like I said I think you can take what you want, but I just enjoyed the atmosphere and the weirdness (for a videogame)
  • I love it when the sub
    Spoiler:
    I read an interesting article about the sound design, that and the art design are really, really special. Perhaps even perfect.

Sections in the trailer from two years ago look almost the same as in the final game, which shows how much time they spent polishing this. So many beautiful little touches, many people won't even consciously notice them but they all solidify the world and help tell the story.

Just like Limbo I love that there is no HUD, no tutorial. It's like playing a dream, or nightmare.

I like the puzzles, I thought Limbo was cleverer in some ways and a wee bit less repetitive but these mostly feel more natural. The pulse wave machine, oh my days.
  • I'm not sure why you're suffixing your post with /grump scale since it seems you've agreed with everything I said, unless I'm somehow wildly missing the point. My post in the twitch thread syncs exactly with your 'now I've seen it I don't need to play it'
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'm the grump, boy-sonny-jim-laddy-boy. Apologies, squire, I thought you might take some offence at my rubbishing of Lofty Dialogue's (Roujin™) prevalence in indie games. I'd like to think that Inside's a really smart subversion - the boy's missing face parodical.

...Rapture's visually stunning, but flimsily supported by talky nonsense that threatens a few jeers of Luddism if you question its bearing on gameplay. Who cares, right? I just think we're seeing too much of this layered-on loftiness to prop up wanting areas elsewhere; it's a question of what to focus your dev time on. I might easily belong to a large minority on this.

Mechanically, Inside does some really cool stuff with Unity. That's my takeaway. Indie's Prince of Persia.
  • I loved this game and have theory as to what the fuck is going on. Edit: Spoilers ahoy of course
    Spoiler:
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • There's s big massive Reddit thread about that but you might want to spoiler it here as not everyone here has played it and you're potentially robbing them of the biggest payoff in the game.
  • Nice theory Spock but yeah, might want to spoiler it.
    I like reading those kinds of things.
  • Started this on Thursday night and it's fantastic. I think it might be the most beautiful game of this generation so far.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Aye, best sounding, too. My GOTY by a mile.
  • Just finished it.

WTAF.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Wonderful game, ain't it :D
  • Amazing.
  • This has a demo now and is in the sale on all formats.

It.
    Is.
    Fucking.
    Incredible.
    And.
    You.
    Should.
    Buy.
    It.
    And.
    Wear.
    Some.
    Good.
    Headphones.
    And.
    Play.
    It.
    And.
    Go.
    Wow.
  • Halfway through, playing with incredible headphones.  I plan to finish it this evening.  Sound design phenomenal, frankly.
  • Finished it.  Videogames.  Bloody hell.
  • Great, wasn't it? One of the GotY.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I definitely need to make room for it on the list.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Just started this. Much artistry.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Just started this. Such art.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Midway through. It's quite something. Whoever is 5th on my goty list beware... Currently stumped though so the climax will have to wait till tomorrow, I can sense it building to something
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!