• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fuck online.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That's one way to make money I suppose
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    But do we have the technology?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Is it art?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • It's interesting (to me, anyway, and hopefully dR) that there is such disparity between the quality of the implementation of online features. I largely avoid multiplayer (because I'm shit at most games) but enjoy many other online features; I like that generally all games are available to download, I like that game patches and firmware updates happen automatically, I occasionally enjoy seeing friends comparisons (how my score for a particular feature compares to friends' scores, that kinda thing) although I (mathematically improbably) have fewer online friends than real life ones.

Given how smoothly these things work, I find it frustrating that, for example, Just Cause 3 regularly makes me wait for up to a minute while it attempts to sign into a server. It's unbelievably poor implementation; given that it's a single player game, that should be happening in the background. When, in 2016, this is being handled with such ineptitude, it makes me sceptical of games selling themselves on the back of such features. Crackdown 3 might be the first game to make me consider buying a One, but if I think for one second that the experience will be plagued by server login failures, it can get tae.

Then, there are the online features I don't want. One of the things that puts me off playing The Crew are the relentless prompts for doing this that or the other online, it has too many online leaderboard distractions, too many prompts that some mouth-breathing fucknugget wants to join (spoil) your fun. I'll be crucified for saying this, but that was another aspect of the Souls/Blood games that irritated me; I played offline whenever I could. More and more often I'm reading about games that would otherwise interest me, until I find out they are online only, and often rely on playing with the same people to be worthwhile.

In short, I think there's a lot of great stuff going on, but in the grand scheme of things it's probably early doors. If we do see greater online implementation and - as seems to be the regrettable direction - more seamless integration, I hope to hell we still get the opportunity to switch these things off without it being detrimental to the single player experience.
  • Nothing wrong with playing games offline given the choice. I'm not a massive fan of it (login issues as you say) and with Ds3 a weird error meant I had to play it mostly offline. I didn't miss it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    It's interesting (to me, anyway, and hopefully dR) that there is such disparity between the quality of the implementation of online features. I largely avoid multiplayer (because I'm shit at most games) but enjoy many other online features; I like that generally all games are available to download, I like that game patches and firmware updates happen automatically, I occasionally enjoy seeing friends comparisons (how my score for a particular feature compares to friends' scores, that kinda thing) although I (mathematically improbably) have fewer online friends than real life ones.

The 'core' platform services have taken some time to get to this point.

Remember when XBL (I know we had PSN, but most of the innovation started on Xbox) introduced the gamertag?
    A unique and transparent identifier for players to use across every game they played. Utter genius. It was so good, that it took Nintendo's flaky 'usercode' system for us to appreciate just how cool XBL truly was.

Before XBL managed to find fans, I found myself agreeing with Sony. Let the developers work out the online scheme that's best for their game. But Microsoft insisted on an infrastructural approach.

Everything, from the dashboard, to achievements, and of course, the gamertag.

And to their credit, it worked admirably. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure Microsoft were the first to make this approach work on a console, at least. Not sure how advanced Steam was before XBL, but I'm at least sure that in game achievements (as an OS/platform feature) are a Microsoft invention

And yeah, like you, I take a cheeky little glance through the friends list, if only to see if they've found something worth playing... Though I'm not to fussed about how well they're doing, because like you, I'm shit at games. :]

Andy wrote:
    Given how smoothly these things work, I find it frustrating that, for example, Just Cause 3 regularly makes me wait for up to a minute while it attempts to sign into a server. It's unbelievably poor implementation; given that it's a single player game, that should be happening in the background. When, in 2016, this is being handled with such ineptitude, it makes me sceptical of games selling themselves on the back of such features.

I don't know about Just Cause 3, but I do know Street Fighter 5.

That said, while SFV was primarily designed as a multiplayer game, the ill advised in game currency system should still allow you to earn money in it's single player modes without needing to be online... It would have taken some work to do (a 2 phase transaction when I come back online, or some shit), but (I think) it can be done. Capcom cut many such corners in a rush to get the game to market, and it's infuriating.

Then there are more pressing concerns, like player matchmaking, and penalties for cheating...

I know that SFV and JC3 are two completely different games, but what your post suggests to me, is that both games are suffering from elementary design issues that detract from the enjoyment of the game. And in both cases, they appear to be issues that have been addressed in the recent past. And that's jarring.

I suppose though, that kind of sloppiness is what allowed Colossal Order and Paradox Interactive to take so much custom away from EA and the Sim City franchise... And that's a good thing tbh.

Andy wrote:
    Crackdown 3 might be the first game to make me consider buying a One, but if I think for one second that the experience will be plagued by server login failures, it can get tae.

I'm interested in this shit too. Something tells me that tech wise, it will run like a German train if it ever sees the light of day, but you're right. Who knows?

Andy wrote:
    In short, I think there's a lot of great stuff going on, but in the grand scheme of things it's probably early doors.

It's starting to get very interesting. Plenty of stuff that had been promised sometime ago that's still to come to pass... Like episodic games... I think, again, SF5 is the nearest I've come to playing an episodic game, what with all the character release stuff. Olli Olli 2 and Rayman also has some nice daily challenge stuff, but the leaderboard format puts me off.

And the promise of a streaming service still appeals, especially after trying out PS Now on the Vita recently...
    When it works, it's awe inspiring... Really... barring politics, what's stopping me from playing PS4 games (or better) on a handheld now?

Absolutely nothing. Though latency is still an issue...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    But right now, even some of the very latest games (VR stuff included) almost seem like an anachronism when compared to what the likes of Google, Facebook and Apple are doing now, because of their willingness to embrace the internet.
    Examples please thank you.

Staying away from the more exotic obvious stuff (like Google Maps) and looking at a solution that's directly (a pun, look ahead) related to the games industry is the ANGLE project:

https://chromium.googlesource.com/angle/angle/+/master/README.md

So you have the Web GL standard for running 3D graphics in the browser (all of the common ones, barring IE). As some of us know, Web GL is basically a cut down version of Open GLES, which is in turn a cutdown version of Open GL 2 (I think... is that right Chump? Though I'm sure it's been updated).

On Apple systems Web GL runs like a bloody nose, as the graphics cards inside of those machines (and most mobile devices too) are tailor made to run Open GL 3, and the earlier standards. 

But on Wintel boxes, the Microsoft/Nvidia love in means that Open GL runs like shit on most common Wintel compatible graphics cards. In those cases, the recommended graphics API is Direct X 3D (v9+ is the target I think, but I'm not sure. Though the ANGLE site suggests so).

Open GL and Direct X are very similar API's up to a certain point... The pipeline API and the shader implementations are semantically very similar, though they do differ in places. Open GL ocassionally offers better stuff than Direct X, and visa versa.

But now I'm rambling...

Basically, to have Chrome itself run CG as smoothly as possible on any system, Google wrote ANGLE to convert Open GLES code to Direct X on the fly (not technically true, I'm pretty sure there's a transpilation step for the pipeline stuff, and shaders are always complied for both APIs). It's one of those things that work so well that nobody, even a good number of Web GL programmers has any idea it even exists. But any time either API is updated, Google go in and make the appropriate changes.

This was done because Google wanted a W3C standard to run on all systems without complaints about quality. I'm pretty sure that Firefox and Opera use it too.

You could also, quite feasibly use it to base a cross platform game engine on. 
    Like, if you want to write a game engine that runs on Apple systems, Linux (hello Valve) and Windows, then write the engine against the ANGLE compliant subset of Open GLES, and you may need only write it once...

I wouldn't know if someone's already tried to do that though.

Google (Apple and Facefuck too) do plenty of 'little' things like that. As well as the huge things, like Alpha Go, and Maps...
  • Didn't read most of that. On a technical level, though, MS' gamertag is identical to Nintendo's code thing. Nintendo were just worried about not being able to block everything rude (which, to be fair, you can't).

Basically, what I want to say is MS don't deserve anywhere near the amount of kudos you seem to be giving them for their user name system. It's incredibly obvious and the reason they got it going first was because they weren't as bothered about its misuse because they were ready to deal with it having been active in similar areas already.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    How Microsoft chose to police it though, is just as important, I think.
  • The obvious way? They didn't do anything special, they acted on complaints. They just knew they could weather it if a big one came up.
  • i thought my chances of ever making it into online/offline were gone forever....and now here I am!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I joined to talk to the creatures.
  • I got in once despite being the best poster, then and now. I blame the post-Redeye walkout for that lots drop in appreciation of tasty discourse.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Aye, since Joao, Dave and Ste left together.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I don't get the OP. You start to talk about online/offline citing an example of playing SFV and. Not bothering if servers are down as you can't play against anyone. Seems that's as about the most obvious reason to play a game online (or in the same room).

But then the question is about general digital innovation and then talking about HCI which doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being online.

Unless the thread is being about gaming offline AND online. In which case this thread has all of gaming covered and we can close all other threads.

Yes I'm being facetious. But it just seems a weird question.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Would we have all the shit we've become accustomed to, if our consoles were offline?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    No.

/thread #leave
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Meh.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!