Help Tempy write an Essay - Stuff that reinforces story in games
‹ Previous12345
  • So I am supposed to be writing an essay on an abstract I came up with about a month ago and I need some examples of stuff in games that helps tell a story or reinforces a story without explicit saying "hello I am story"

So things like the start of Assassin's Creed 3 where the Animus overlay masks the fact you are playing a Templar because it uses the GUI from the past two games to subvert your expectations

OR

Souls/Bloodborne - where the resources of souls/humanity and blood/insight relate heavily to the story of the game - their use and their function go hand in hand with their narrative purpose

OR

The elevator in Invisible, Inc. which functions both as a exit/goal tile and also as a pivot point for the narrative in the gameplay - you have to find it to escape but once you've found it it becomes the lynchpin of your mission, tying with the alarm system to cultivate an emergent story.

OR

Whatever you can think of. I have some stuff written down but it's hard to see the wood from the trees at times to see how effective they are.

Any examples would be nice, otherwise you can just post gifs of Dogs or Cats being great, or people sitting serenely whilst their life goes to shit.
  • Do your own fucking homework.
  • That couple sat on the sofa in Half Life 2?
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Do your own fucking homework.

What game is this in
  • Not sure I'm understanding this fully, but there's been a massive rise in story-based graffiti in games as a way to tell the story. That and audio recordings.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The Darkness - Sitting on the settee to watch To Kill A Mockingbird with your missus. Its a touching moment before the bleakness of later.
  • Generally trying to focus on systems and mechanics as opposed to environmental stuff but that will be a consideration for sure
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'm the anti-Yoss, I don't pay enough attention to systems and mechanics to notice :(
  • What about the story telling through the items in the Souls games? Placement and descriptive text.

The underground base part in the last of us where you go all the way through only to find out once you've escaped there's a big warning sign?

Stuff like that?
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • In orig DX you input your name which becomes a name used in the parts when you get sacked from your job (and your code name is irrelevant).

I think braid is a really good example. It plays the original story in reverse to tell you something else.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    Not sure I'm understanding this fully, but there's been a massive rise in story-based graffiti in games as a way to tell the story. That and audio recordings.

Graffiti a shit way to tell a story. It worked in BioShock, but why the cunts in Alien Iso are taking time out to daub cryptic, insane shit on the walls is beyond me.
  • I wish I had time to graffiti when the Alien is penetrating me.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    They've got murderous androids running amok and a xenomorph to worry about, but instead they're scribbling crap about looting and fuck the police type stuff. Nonsense.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Mechanics, well I like the way enemy positioning and strength is set up in the Souls series to not only herd you in the "correct" direction, but also to play with your levels of stress especially around certain points that may or may not be plot points, given that the director often refuses to discuss storyline

Also Ueda, but yeah, always Ueda
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Dynamite Headdy.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I quite like the echoes off of The Division.
  • There's a thing in Earthworm Jim where you launch a cow and it lands at the end of the game. Does that count?
  • Braid with the mechanics and the story and that.
  • That Call of Duty game where the story is hackneyed bullshit about shooting everything. Manhunt an all?
    Was there some indie game where you didn't have to kill any enemies at all or some hippy business like that?
  • Tetris, cos it's all about the Stalinist purges and forcing everyone to fit in and making dissenters disappear.
  • Just Cause 3 - cos of that bit in the story where the thing explodes.
  • Jack in mass effect 2. She self exiles her self to the Normandy's "dungeon" like the monster she is.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Sexiles?
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Portal 1 and THAT gun.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There wasn't much of a story in Portal 1, TBH.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Or Half Life 2 and that end-game gun.
  • adkm
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @adkm1979
    Xbox
    adkm1979
    PSN
    adkm1979
    Steam
    adkm1979

Send message
    Tempy, I thought I understood your premise until I read your examples, so apologies if these don't fit your idea.

Potential spoilers below, so if you see the name of a game you are yet to play and plan to, skip the paragraph.

Journey: IIRC, most of the parts that involve any sort of challenge involve moving upwards, and there's the section where you actually grind to a halt. It's a fairly basic 'life is an uphill struggle' metaphor, which is then subverted in the final section, which is literally uplifting. So, by doing the same thing, in slightly different ways, the game is telling contrasting elements of its story. Still a shit game, mind you.

Proteus: Doesn't explicitly give you any story, but is another life metaphor, and also hints that the game world has its own history, for the player to interpret themselves.

Ico: The holding hands mechanic reinforces the emotional bond, and infuses the moments of separation with anxiety.

Spec Ops: The Line: I've listened to some critiques saying that they thought the white phosphorus section was a bit of ham-fisted story-telling but, from the perspective of someone who knew absolutely nothing about the plot, it worked brilliantly, imho.  See also; the loading screen hints and incidental in-play dialogue as the story progresses.

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor: The nemesis system is a finely tuned emergent narrative engine. On the face of it, generic, enemies generated from a finite pool of characteristics, but exceptional scripting and voice-acting make it feel very personal to the player, and create genuine nemeses.

Bushido Blade: Your character collecting bandages specific to the injuries sustained in losses en route is a nice bit of minor story-telling. Also very basic compared to what should be possible now, but games haven't really run with the idea, which is a pity.

Tomb Raider (2013): Kinda does run with the idea, to almost comedic effect.

Wolfenstein: The New Order: Gives the player a Sophie's choice early doors, which I gather has reasonable effect on how the rest of the game plays.

Everybody's Gone Up a their Own Arsehole: The gameplay tells the player the story of how desperately slow, pointless, dull and irredeemably shit the end of the world will be, and how little you will care about the people who die.

Again, apologies if these don't fit what you're driving at.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    There wasn't much of a story in Portal 1, TBH.

That's the point. The gun tells you everything you need to know.
  • Dunno what you're talking about mate
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!