Help Tempy write an Essay - Stuff that reinforces story in games
  • Tempy, just copy and paste Andys essay.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    "In conclusion, Bushido Blade is life".
  • adkm
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @adkm1979
    Xbox
    adkm1979
    PSN
    adkm1979
    Steam
    adkm1979

Send message
    It's not even a good example here, but I find it hard to compile lists without shoehorning it in.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Do your own fucking homework.

Press X to Jason
  • @adkm. I enjoyed your post on the last page. Interesting.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Thanks Andy, they're moving in the rough direction of what I think I might want to talk about, although it's still pretty loose right now. The effort is nonetheless appreciated.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Keh.

All the emotion.
  • Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffpatroitismffffffffffffffffff

F
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Is art OutRun?
  • Brothers had a nice use of gameplay mechanics mixed with storytelling later on. Spoilered for safety:
    Spoiler:
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Yeah, Brothers was the first one that sprang to mind for me, and though I guess that happens more in response to the story, it certainly reinforces it.

I'd argue pretty much every mechanic in Binding of Isaac is about "the story", although it's pretty hard to discern what, precisely, that story is...

On a similar note, what little story there is in the Witness comes almost entirely from elements of the environment and the mechanics...
    Spoiler:
    The other obvious one I guess is Thomas Was Alone - each character's personality is underlined and defined by their individual control system.  (Though the game's not terribly subtle about pointing this out.)

I feel like there are a hundred odd more subtle ones relating to bits of the interface, but my mind is a blank...
  • I'm not sure I'm sure of what you need exactly buuuuut

Silent Hill 2? Slight spoils praps.
    Spoiler:
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Dishonoured's intensifying of the plague if you start leaving bodies everywhere for rat fodder.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I preferred the first one tbh.
  • I'd already used it once before.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Do your own fucking homework.

Well, this. 

But I like how well Advanced Wars tied characters to abilities...
    And Persona 4 is probably the very best example of what you're alluding to...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Tempy - played Deus Ex Human Revolution on the Wii U? There is a neat function where at the start of Jensen's augmentation process the gamepad screen expands with functionality as various neural links are installed. 

Also you could argue Super Mario Bros 3 did this story element with the stage-prop imagery that pervaded every single level.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    nnnnkitty
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Ico and SotC. Don't ask me how.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Brothers, for sure. The control scheme is half the story.

Slightly less clear, I think the city and the way you interact with it in No More Heroes is quite important, in reinforcing the idea that Travis can only view his predicament in terms of consumerist escapist fantasies.

Dragon Quest IX - each town has a particular story about death, grief, succession and so on. As a guardian angel, your character goes off to the local dungeon to slay monsters to help the town, but all your actions can do is bring some comfort to people, rather than actually stop bad things from happening. So, effectively the gameplay is about you playing the hero, as usual, but the limitations of that role, and doing the normal JRPG stuff adds to the point of the story. (I probably haven't explained it well.)
  • Skerret wrote:
    Ico and SotC. Don't ask me how.

SOTC tells the story in two ways:
    The visual decay of the character
    The improvement in control of the horse
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Again, not sure if this works, but what about Final Fantasy 7 (and most JRPGs)? You start the game weak and face the boss earlier on, but don't have the skills or experience to stand a chance. You then grind through the game, getting stronger along the way and it isn't (from memory) explicitly made clear in the story that you are getting stronger - it's just clear from your expanded attacks/spells, etc. So, through game play and mechanics the story of how Cloud is getting stronger is told. Sorry if I'm bang off track here.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    Again, not sure if this works, but what about Final Fantasy 7 (and most JRPGs)? You start the game weak and face the boss earlier on, but don't have the skills or experience to stand a chance. You then grind through the game, getting stronger along the way and it isn't (from memory) explicitly made clear in the story that you are getting stronger - it's just clear from your expanded attacks/spells, etc. So, through game play and mechanics the story of how Cloud is getting stronger is told. Sorry if I'm bang off track here.
    AMATEUR HOUR

what about mario there's pipes in that and he's a plumber
  • the fact that Wii Sports utilises motion control to mimic real-life sport movements while you play, so that in improving your high scores you contribute to your personal narrative of actually getting better at sports.
  • Gameplay and story integration is purdy good in games whose story seeks some overarching revelation. Two examples: 1) strangers wrath's second act is mirrored by a nearly wholesale gameplay shake up. 2) kotor II story explains gameplay mechanics to do with choice and influencing of squadmates.

Could add BioShock and linearity to that list.

Otherwise setting is key. Gameplay can build tension in a way visual media simply can't. That can lead to awesome setting payoffs. Half life 2's final on rails act is so good because of all that tension. All those enemies that were so hard to beat, all these people who died to help you.... And here are thousands more.

All those sand bugs that are soooo annoying.... Are now fighting for you.

All those combines that take up precious ammo to kill.... Are now fodder for the supercharged gravity gun.

It's the same feeling as the payoffs / tension scenes in films and TV... But you are doing all of the work. It feels qualitatively different, unless you are a joyless, soulless hater of half life 2 you have to admit it is a work of genius.

So few games understand. It's sad.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!