Rez Infinite - MIZ LIVES!
  • davyK wrote:
    It's all bollocks. I need glasses now - so it makes little difference to me. I played the DC version via RGB SCART on a CRT and it looked great - could be rose tint though. I now play it on DC via VGA on a LCD panel and it looks great. Can't remember the PS2 but it looked fine to me - I read about people going on about jaggies etc. with it but I remember it looking good enough. Rez HD on the 360 looks tremendous too though to my eyes it really only benefited from getting widescreen support added. The DC via VGA may give a more vibrant result - the video circuitry on the DC was apparently top drawer. Maybe if I had a zoom feature on my eyesight I would care. You would think after 15 years they could have thought of a new game.
    Quite.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yar, why doesn't the lazy bastard just make Rez2?
  • @g.man

Because the HD texture has been blown up to a larger size than it appeared in RezHD.

If you scale it back to a quarter of that size, as it was in the HD remake, it looks a lot less blurry. It also looks brighter than the Original texture at it's original size.

The net effect was a game that looked as good as the original, perhaps even a bit better and a bit brighter.

The Original textures clearly couldn't stand being blown up to 16x for Infinite so they've had to redraw (some of?) them.
  • WITCHCRAFT.
  • There may have been witches involved, yes.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If a highly stylised game needs a redux its Cosmic Smash - more than a handful of DC owners would get a chance to play it then. And they should add in a pile of new levels and multiplayer while they are at it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Also, old CRTs had quite natural anti-aliasing due to the scanlines:

http://timothylottes.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/indie-vs-real-slug-fest.html

iiZ6VCNq4U4lK.png

Lottes did a couple of really interesting articles about old CRTs, but it seems his image hosting website is down at the moment so you can't see his examples: 
    http://timothylottes.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/pixel-art-and-slot-mask-pitch.html
    http://timothylottes.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/tonemapping-slot-mask-simulation.html
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A CRT does an awful lot of favours to certain consoles. PS2 and N64 and the main benificiaries as far as I can see with my experience of trying retro gaming on a modern TV.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    If a highly stylised game needs a redux its Cosmic Smash - more than a handful of DC owners would get a chance to play it then. And they should add in a pile of new levels and multiplayer while they are at it.

That's a lovely game.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • There's a good piece on GiantBomb from one of there guys who was actually there and had a go of this.

There's the fancy light suit worn by Miz on stage...
    2803277-img_2395_zpsngx4ea4l.jpg

But the actual vibration suit it somewhat less aesthetically impressive...
    2803276-img_2394_zpshew6amed.jpg
    Nice that they used the Rez brown/orange colour scheme tho.
    2803282-img_2400_zps7kbcvrnc.jpg

"Yesterday, during the keynote address at the PlayStation Experience 2015, Tetsuya Mizuguchi appeared on stage with Rez Infinite, a new take on the old game. It will (optionally) support Sony's PlayStation VR peripheral, taking Rez to virtual reality, the place it deserved to be all along. It's not a massive reboot or remake of Rez. 
    Having played a brief chunk of it, I can tell you that, so far, it's Rez. It's a sharper-looking version of Rez, not entirely unlike Rez HD, which came to the Xbox 360."

2803284-img_2402_zpsm3jzeoko.jpg

"I played the first level with the headset on. 
    From a mechanical perspective, this means that you're playing Rez, but you can aim your reticle by looking around. You can, of course, also use the left stick to aim, but that kinda defeats the purpose." 

"Playing Rez--a game that was originally released in a 4:3 aspect ratio--with the game's graphics wrapped around your head is a wholly different experience. For one, the action feels spread out a bit. Also, Rez may be one of the more delightfully disorienting games I've played in VR thus far. The levels in Rez are split up into "layers." While most of the layers position you behind your avatar and give you the perspective of moving forward into cyberspace, some layers position you on the side of your character. So there's an abrupt transition in your direction of movement that, in VR, feels extremely dramatic. Actually, the blurs and blasts of color that mark the layer transitions take on a way more dramatic and disorienting role when you're playing in VR. I could see this being off-putting to some, but at the same time, that disorientation and slightly uneasy feeling makes the game feel a lot more intense and satisfying. I definitely had to take a second to get my wits about me once the helmet came off."

"I played through the entire first level with just the helmet on, then I tried an abbreviated level with the area four boss battle bolted onto the end up it while strapped into the evolution of the Trance Vibrator. This "synesthesia suit" is a cluster of 26 actuators, wired up to a rack mounted system, and it's all designed to vibrate and pulse in different spots around your body as you play." 

"On one hand, it was amazing. The beat pulsates and travels around your body, starting in your chest and arms and eventually working its way down to your legs over the course of the level. But it didn't feel like this insanely expensive body suit was required to make the game intense. The headset is more than enough to do that. That said, there's something to be said for a new type of Trance Vibrator rig that works with Rez in VR, and it sounds like the developers are willing to investigate what would it take to make something more reasonable than the one-off suit, if players are interested. It's cool."

interesting

g.man
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message

Ok, I take back some of my criticism about it just being Rez VR since there is mention of a new area and hints at some kind of adaptivity in terms of the 'infinite' aspect.
  • People are blates gonna vomit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!