Memorable Gaming Moments
  • I'll do a list soon.  Only recently mentioned one of mine in another thread (end bit of Halo).
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Thats a great list Haak. There are lots of my memories in there with the exception of any of the achievements! Like...
    - Completing Ikaruga in 1 Credit The music escaping to an insurmountable velocity as you dodge bullets for days in one of the best closing levels of any schump. I was proud.
     WTAF! Mentals I cant even complete it!
    Didn't know Haak had achieved that lofty status.  I salute you, Haak-san.

I'm not sure if this is being understood correctly. 1 Credit is 3 lives, you know that right? Not including bonus lives attained through score accumulation.
  • Still a 1CC.  I.e. you never saw the 'Continue?' screen.  Right?  That is still very impressive, to me anyway.  I have only ever 1CC'd Mushi Futari, even then on an easier mode (Arrange).  Best I can do on Ikaruga is level 4 start.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • What a great thread. Brings back alot of memories.

A few from the top of my head:

1. Intro sequence for half life 1 and bioshock. Just amazing, words don't do them justice. Probably the two greatest intro sequences in video game history. Mass Effect 2 comes a distant third.

2. Mario Kart on snes ghost Valley 1. I had an unbeaten streak stretching back 20 odd games. Last lap and I was in last place, (there is a bump on the track and if you hit it with a mushroom you can get a massive jump and cut out the last third of the circuit). I had done the jump before but slowing down enough and turning left onto the start / finish straight was very very hard. Previous attempts had seen me fly off the circuit. This time I had no choice, I had lucked into a mushroom, went round the corner. Lined my Kart up. Used the mushroom as I hit the bump and pressed down. I went flying I landed on the plank and as I did I hopped with right shoulder button, just as I did that my mate came steaming along, my momentum took me into him. He flew off the track and I coasted over the line in 1st. 21 ghost Valley 1 races unbeaten. Magical moment.

3. Mass Effect. Seeing the galaxy map for the first time. And thinking, I've been waiting all my life for this game...

4. Virtua tennis. Played to death at uni. Got to a stage where I simply couldn't beat the AI anymore. Then months later I had the zen moment. I beat the AI. After that it was like a matrix moment where I had this realisation that I couldn't stopped. I won everything and destroyed my flatmates on it. Only ever experienced that feeling on dark souls (see point 6).

5. Arcade games at my local video shop. There were always four different games, it was cramped and sweaty in there. The unwritten rule was one credit a go then let someone else on. "clocking" a game only counted if it was done on one credit (10p). People had clocked various games in their and we all knew who they were. Super Pang and Midnight Resistance had fallen. Final fight and Bubble Bobble remained. FF was an impossibility it was just too difficult on a single credit. However Bubble Bobble was possible (due to the skipping stages ability). I'd gotten close before, up to late 80s stages. However the machine was going to be swapped out at the end of the month. I was desperate to complete it on a single credit. I would not be beaten. We managed to get up to the late 80s levels again and then got a warp into the mid 90s, the up to level 98. Only two levels from the end, so close to being the first to clock bubble Bobble. Maan the kudos at school would be huge. Alas level 98 is as far as we got. We failed. I was heartbroken. I wanted to jump on straight away but the rules were you had to let someone else on. It could be an hour or two before I'd get another go. When we finally got another go, we were just emotionally knackered. Only got to level 50 odd and the dream died there. The next week the machine was swapped out and I never did clock Bubble Bobble.

6. Dark souls. Iron flesh spell before it was nerf'd. My first play through towards the end I took a boss on my first go, then got to the next and took him out. Then got to a third and took him out as well. All on the same life. I was in a gaming zen moment. My hands were shaking so bad after the third I couldn't hold the controller anymore. (anyone who's played it and beaten a boss knows what I'm on about). I was exhausted. I wanted a cigarette so badly and I didn't even smoke anymore. Just magical.

• Speedhaak wrote:
    - First time logging into Phantasy Stay Online. I spent hours trying to connect via dial up using all sorts of usernames and passwords. Finally logging on was an insanely exciting moment. Good old 1999.

*F8 celebratory groin thrust*

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!