Art Academy: Atelier

• Website. Known as Art Academy Home Studio in US.

£25 on eShop, about £18 on disc. Out now.

Reviews.
  • Anyway, I love it. Genuinely feels I'm doing an art class via the 30 hour long lessons. Gamepad not perfect but the software really is lovely to use. I couldn't draw for shit but the lessons are excellent and the sense of genuine skillz being taught, primarily learning to look.

Stuff wot I done so far.

Intro lesson - Paint

Lesson 1 - Pencil

Lesson 2 - Charcoal

• Painting is one of my favourite things in life. This looks like a fun - and a lot less messy - alternative to the real thing.
  • Surprisingly in depth siftware too. As in mixing paint for required colour, putty rubbers, smoothing tools etc.
  • I bought New Art Academy for the 3DS quite recently but have yet to do anything beyond having a quick poke around the options. Whilst I'm sure that the results are rather better than they would be using the actual materials, I'm hoping it'll at least give me a little more confidence in my drawing and get me back into the habit.
  • It's the lessons that I really enjoy, I'd be scunnered without them. Glass of wine and an hour of creating is a nice way to relax.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    krs wrote:
    I bought New Art Academy for the 3DS quite recently but have yet to do anything beyond having a quick poke around the options. Whilst I'm sure that the results are rather better than they would be using the actual materials, I'm hoping it'll at least give me a little more confidence in my drawing and get me back into the habit.
    You're very good though, don't disappoint me through inactivity and wasting your gift GIFT FROM GOD praise be

I am still best when I want to be though, you all know it.  I know it.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • If it is a gift from our Lord why does he tempt me with creating unclean images of sinful flesh? No, I am a vessel of the Beast and the unleashed pencil line his demon ejaculate.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    In that case perhaps stick to crochet, difficult to sin doing crochet.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Bugger the crochet, where's my knitted hat?!

Devil's responsible for my haircut, and it's cold outside.
  • I wish I could draw sexy, or anything at all.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Well that's kind of the point of the 30 hrs of lessons. You might be surprised - I know I was.
  • I had a go of the DS version a while ago. Every now and again I get the urge to get good. I'll buy a book, watch a few online tutorials, buy a few expensive pencils and scribble away. I'm spinning so many other plates it's always the first to get dropped.
  • Escape wrote:
    Bugger the crochet, where's my knitted hat?!

Devil's responsible for my haircut, and it's cold outside.

That Beck song is slowly starting to make sense now
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    Every now and again I get the urge to get good. I'll buy a book, watch a few online tutorials, buy a few expensive pencils and scribble away. I'm spinning so many other plates it's always the first to get dropped.

Yar, but the point of the software is to dispense with all that bother. The lessons are very good indeed. They explain the why's and how's of techniques, then you watch the Vince dude do a step, then you do the step on your own picture, and so on. I've grown rather fond of Vince.
  • I'd never reslised before this the gamepad was pressure sensitive.
  • Same with the DS one. The harder you press, the larger the indent that's sending a "i'm being pressed" signal.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So I've taken the 3DS art academy with me to mother in laws and I'm having a lovely time. My artistic skills are guff but that's not stopping me from painting all the koi carp
  • Is 3DS good?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Nah, just the one.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Can't argue with a clean punchline

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!