Nintendo Switch
  • I bought a usb-a to usb-c cable and a USB plug from asda for a tenner this week. Don't see all the fuss.
  • What is usb-c?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Main distinction is that it doesn't need to be a certain way up to go into the female connection, much like Lightning. No idea about potential transfer/charge speeds being quicker or not. My xperia XZ certainly does charge quicker than my old Z3 though.
  • g.man wrote:
    http://www.game.co.uk/en/m/nintendo-switch-premium-zelda-chat-earbuds-1791650 I'm not really sure...what kind of play is this aiming for? (Having said that chat must be possible without a phone?)
    This does suggest you don't need a phone.
    Nah, they're just generic phone headphones with a zelda sticker on them. Plug them into your phone and use the app to chat.

That's quite possible. To be honest, this whole thing really is a clusterfuck. When it was originally revealed, there was an implication of wait for the Jan reveal to learn everything.

And then in the Jan reveal they show fuck all, and instead say that we could check their websites and twitter for more.

Information has been unclear and mixed and it's difficult to know what the fuck the deal is.

It annoys me because I like Nintendo. I like Mario, and the new Zelda is deffo giving me SotC vibes and I want it. Altus are onboard and a new Xeno title kinda appeals, but the lineup for the next year looks super slim. Yes I know it's about 1st party with ninty but it's just not enough when that's all they can show.

But fuck buying a machine for £280 and then needing to get a pro as well because the main controller is hideously small, and then needing a second pair of joy cons if I wanna do 2-player games (that use the full set each) with the missus. A joycon controller that can't be charged as it is.

Then getting a free game per month which is removed at the end of each month as part of a paid online service.

And not being able to voicechat with the machine and having no headphone jack in the controller. Instead I'll have to use a smartphone for some dumb fucking reason meaning I'll have to pay attention to two machines at once.

And 32gb storage? Really? I don't care if it is expandable (up to a whole 128gb or more!) - that's fucking dumb.

Nintendo may well have a great product on their hands, but they've bollocksed up the message and marketing massively.

I want to be onboard, and dropping region locking is great, but it's not enough.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    If I bought a Switch, it would be for... A: Mostly TV gaming. B: Mostly handheld gaming. C. Loads of both, it's a hybrid!
    C all the way. I want handheld style games and console style games.  I want PES on it.

I've wanted a decent version of PES on a handheld since the PSP.
    I hope someone in the position to do something reads your post...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I have officially boarded the hype train, destination Switch: I went into Game this morning, pre-ordered a red/blue switch and Zelda, and traded in a bunch o stuff. £20 deposit paid, ~£215 on a gift card ready for the day.
  • Tempy wrote:
    he's a mario

This did not get the appreciation it deserved, Templeton, you god-damned genius.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Zelda runs at 60fps on Switch?

I like how Nintendo, unlike Sony and Microsoft, actually care a high frame rates.
    Most of the games they've shown so far look really good.

See how the PS4 struggles to run The Last Guardian, but there's been no complaints about dodgy framerates for Zelda on Switch... A game that arguably looks much better.

And you can play it on the move.

It's slightly over priced, yes, but this thing is brilliant.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'm not even a Nintard...
  • Best handheld. Stick to PS4 for majority of home stuff. Happy days.
  • Afaic the main problem with the switch is that it's making a huge amount of concessions to solve a problem that I don't have. There have been precisely zero instances of me wanting to start playing my PlayStation on a bus. To solve the problem I don't have, Nintendo have borked the standard controller and pushed up the price to beyond reasonable.

Obviously this may fit perfectly into other people's set ups so I'm not saying it's bad per se. I think I'm more representative of the majority of the possible market though.

It all comes across as something entirely designed to solve all of Nintendos problems in one fell swoop. They don't seem to have looked at it from the consumers perspective at all.

That said, I can still fashion this into the bog standard Nintendo 1st party games console I want. But only by paying through the nose for stuff I don't want and extras that should be included as standard.
  • Tempy wrote:
    C. I can't see the logic in refusing to dock it when Breath of the Wild looks so stunning, but i'm sure a few rounds of Mario Kart handheld wouldn't go a miss.

By the sounds of it it'll only last for a few rounds anyway.
  • I have always played Monster Hunter with my charger plugged in, it's hardly an inconvenience to me. I nearly always have a charger on hand for devices, batteries uniformly suck.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    If I bought a Switch, it would be for...

A: Mostly TV gaming.
    B: Mostly handheld gaming.
    C. Loads of both, it's a hybrid!

You mean when right ;-)
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • What's it like reg?? Is it love at first sight?
  • monkey wrote:
    It all comes across as something entirely designed to solve all of Nintendos problems in one fell swoop. They don't seem to have looked at it from the consumers perspective at all.
    If anything that's charitable. It seems like gouging a diminishing fan base as much as possible, while chucking in every functionality imaginable in some vague hope of repeating Wii/DS mass appeal.

It comes across as greedy and desperate.
  • Should have called it The Nintendo FukU.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Also, another thing that bothers me. I get they didn't want to make the joy cons bigger because that would make it unwieldy in handheld - but there's a fat fucking bezel they could have trimmed and still kept the same dimensions and screen real estate.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm definitely whiffing gouging. How can throw away crap like 1-2-Switch be a full price game instead of bundled in with the console? I see tech demo bandied about in all the wrong places when someone doesn't like a game, and as a term it boils my piss, but I can't see 1-2-Switch as anything else.
  • The whole joycon thing is what is frustrating me most about this. Did they really need to include motion controls, and the two player on the go stuff? I mean they're nice to haves but just seem to be adding layers of confusion (and extra cost) onto the simple proposition of a handheld/home console hybrid.

Do people even still want Wii style motion games? I thought that ship kind of sailed a while back.
  • 1 2 Switch seems like a pack in that some Japanese Board Member has decided has to be sold separately, for the honour of the company or some other equally backwards shite. 

I do wonder what the launch would have looked like with Iwata still around, or conversely, how much of this mishandling is due to his legacy of novel and fun over market competence. He always let the values come first, and the canny business model come later, luckily for Nintendo he was spot on twice and it made them a huge glot of money. 

That said, none of it particularly bothers me, personally. I can see why it irks others, but I genuinely am just happy it will play the only games I can't get elsewhere.
  • I'm definitely whiffing gouging. How can throw away crap like 1-2-Switch be a full price game instead of bundled in with the console? I see tech demo bandied about in all the wrong places when someone doesn't like a game, and as a term it boils my piss, but I can't see 1-2-Switch as anything else.

Yeah, I know we've only seen trailers, but 1 2 switch and Arms seem like perfect £20 download only games at most. Packaging those up as full price seems a bit scandalous these days.

• Tempy wrote:
    luckily for Nintendo he was spot on twice and it made them a huge glot of money. 

Focusing on fun and originality is why they've made so much money. My concern is the Switch is far two pedestrian. Certainly as a portable it's pretty hard to top the 3ds, which is probably the best console I've ever owned. The amalgamation of portable and home development is the Switch's trump card though. That should make it very good indeed.
  • g.man wrote:
    http://www.game.co.uk/en/m/nintendo-switch-premium-zelda-chat-earbuds-1791650 I'm not really sure...what kind of play is this aiming for? (Having said that chat must be possible without a phone?)
    This does suggest you don't need a phone.
    Nah, they're just generic phone headphones with a zelda sticker on them. Plug them into your phone and use the app to chat.

That's quite possible. To be honest, this whole thing really is a clusterfuck. When it was originally revealed, there was an implication of wait for the Jan reveal to learn everything.

And then in the Jan reveal they show fuck all, and instead say that we could check their websites and twitter for more.

Information has been unclear and mixed and it's difficult to know what the fuck the deal is.

It annoys me because I like Nintendo. I like Mario, and the new Zelda is deffo giving me SotC vibes and I want it. Altus are onboard and a new Xeno title kinda appeals, but the lineup for the next year looks super slim. Yes I know it's about 1st party with ninty but it's just not enough when that's all they can show.

But fuck buying a machine for £280 and then needing to get a pro as well because the main controller is hideously small, and then needing a second pair of joy cons if I wanna do 2-player games (that use the full set each) with the missus. A joycon controller that can't be charged as it is.

Then getting a free game per month which is removed at the end of each month as part of a paid online service.

And not being able to voicechat with the machine and having no headphone jack in the controller. Instead I'll have to use a smartphone for some dumb fucking reason meaning I'll have to pay attention to two machines at once.

And 32gb storage? Really? I don't care if it is expandable (up to a whole 128gb or more!) - that's fucking dumb.

Nintendo may well have a great product on their hands, but they've bollocksed up the message and marketing massively.

I want to be onboard, and dropping region locking is great, but it's not enough.
    rIBKtWl.gif
  • If they announce Monster Hunter Switch I'll probably just become a hermit.
  • It comes down to this, if they do a good Metroid or F-Zero I'll buy it. At the mo, nah.
  • Tempy wrote:
    If they announce Monster Hunter Switch I'll probably just become a hermit.

Deffo gonna happen, imo. Monster Hunter is basically a Ninty platform guarantee now.
  • The Joycon's making a single connector makes perfect sense.

I'd of not bothered with making them two little controllers.
    The Forum Herald™
  • weadre wrote:
    The whole joycon thing is what is frustrating me most about this. Did they really need to include motion controls, and the two player on the go stuff? I mean they're nice to haves but just seem to be adding layers of confusion (and extra cost) onto the simple proposition of a handheld/home console hybrid.

Do people even still want Wii style motion games? I thought that ship kind of sailed a while back.

Couldn't care less about Wii style games, but I actually like that aspect of the joy cons. Rather than something like the WiiU where you'd need the game pad, wii remotes and pro controller to enjoy all games properly, the joy cons can do them all.

Too small and too expensive, aye, and the pro will still be best for some games because I doubt the analogues and button configuration are up to much on the joycons but, at least, that one controller can play everything out of the box up to a reasonable level and on the go. That's the best thing about it, imo - I just wish they were a bit bigger.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!