Nintendo Switch
  • Mario's nose is the same size as that guys entire head!

If suit-guy's a regular human then wtf is this Mario creature we've been playing all these years?
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    D/E - mildly interested if hacked, else not.

Speedhaak wrote:
    Clearly the old guard are WAY out of touch with what gamers users want.

It's the art of tablet without tablet.

Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I won't bother with the pro controller because I'll mostly be playing this on the handheld unit plugged into an AC socket behind my armchair with headphones on.

Unless its analogues are as horrible as they look, and you end up using it as a regular console with a Pro.

set play appointments

giphy.gif

Wireless headset like PS3.

Just wow. This chat app requires a smartphone (I thought it was a Switch app), and that very device is going to show up the Switch's utter lack of functionality. It's like buying a Lotus to tow a Lada.

Smang wrote:
    seems pre-orders are almost sold out already. oh Nintendo...

I'm really hoping that most of those are would-be scalpers that are about to get their asses cooked.

darkglobe wrote:
    for kids a tablet is cool but they care more about Youtube and Netflix and streaming and letsplays, and this as a tablet looks like it may not deliver great versions of those compared to the iPads/Tablets they already have.

It doesn't have apps. The cheapest 10.1" tablets are £50, too, and as little as £25 for a 7 or 8. Amazon are fully aware that most Fire Stick purchases are for Kodi, but they're happy to feign ignorance. Nintendo should've looked at that as a proven case of aftermarket-app desirability.

Also there's still E3 and everyone will go bananas when they announce science gun man 1

This is a really old argument that waters my wings a bit. Just because Nintendo have made some lovely games, it doesn't make them a lovely company (I've always compared them to Disney). And so I don't think it's a good idea to cut them that much slack for doing what they do, primarily because they haven't moved anything forwards for generations. Mario 64 is still the best 3D platformer in my eyes.

When it comes to what their games could be, they're well off the pace. Look at Ueda's storytelling versus anything in a modern Nintendo adventure; night and day. Mario and Zelda games could be so much better, but as best-in-class examples they're let off the hook for not being anywhere close to their now-attainable peaks. Zelda games have been overtaken in most ways, too, calling upon nostalgia to bear the increasing strain. If the Switch forces Nintendo into giving up hardware, I look forward to next-gen versions of their games, where they'll jump two generations in getting there. (The Switch should've launced when the U did; the U when the Wii did; the Wii when the GameCube did...)

Christ, I apologise for the length of the post this is turning into, but I might as well explain why TimeSplitters II was my personal butterfly effect that turned me against Nintendo. It starts before then with the Ultra 64, which I was so hyped for. But then the PlayStation arrived as I was only just into my teens, and the N64 became my second choice by its launch.

I adored Blast Corps and multiplayer GoldenEye, but my view on Ocarina of Time's well-known in these parts. I paid £50 for mine at Christmas '98, and the disappointment hit almost as soon as I climbed down from Link's treehouse. The first thing I noticed was the fog - a clear hardware concession to the attempted realisation of a stunning game; right idea, but needed a PC to render it. Then the autojump, and how I hated the autojump. It was empty of both inputs and visual spirit - a by-the-numbers retread of A Link to the Past in a sub-SM64 engine (having played Mario 64 first, I'd expected the controls to be ported across).

I gave up in the Deku Tree, leaving Link to its brown-creeping drabness and scant, offensively easy enemies. I played through it to completion seven years later, but out of a sense of duty more than anything. I enjoyed Gerudo's Valley for its music and bridge-jump, but that was about it.

So I wasn't keen on the idea of a GameCube, waiting instead until they were £130. I only had Monkey Ball, though (bought the GC for it due to its reviews), and decided that I wanted another game. I bought TimeSplitters II because it felt like a Nintendo game, coming from some of the GoldenEye dudes. This finally brings me to my butterfly: a mate had an Xbox copy, and his had multiplayer areas that were missing from mine. I paid more, too - £45 to his thirty-odd. My loyality to Nintendo was rewarded by a lesser experience, and I've never bought anything from them since. I know it's a bit silly, but that was my straw.

Plus, with stuff like Luigi's Mansion they were clearly serving up B-team output at that point. A cynical company in thrall to their own greed ahead of sustaining - and respecting - their erstwhile fans with further artistic, exciting, forward-pushing games.

Games of that type are now exceptionally rare, and when they do appear, they're usually isolated across discrete platforms. Nintendo used to be curators of the highest order, and that they still get away with selling overpriced games from the '80s and '90s speaks in full defence of that. Fuck 'em.

@regmcfly - press the leftmost two buttons at the same time and see if you catch the right stick.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    The only saving grace of New Donk City up there is it looks like it couldn't be done on a WiiU. It looks a bit beefier at least than most the other early stuff that is more WiiU ports. 

Splatoon 2 seems to have a fair degree of updates and changes but was far too popular in Japan to have any wildly significant differences from 1. 

They look to have taken the need to have stuff aligned for the entire year as the main lesson from the WiiU and in that aspect they have at least sort of succeeded. If they can get some indies to drop some bits in between the headliners then it could be ok.

Edit: Official Ninty word from the Giantbomb Jeff on Mario would suggest that New Donk City is just another world that a pipe has led to. There is no suggestion that it is in any way New York or Earth.. just another world that is a good deal more Earthlike perhaps.. Mario is still Mario. The people of New Donk are just a different type of weird. Apparently.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • JRPC wrote:
    The real world Mario stuff made me feel...uncomfortable. Remember Sonic Adventure? Like, what exactly the fuck are we meant to make of this? super-mario-switch.jpg I really did not care for that trailer, but I suppose it's pretty hard to imagine it not being a brilliant game. Bit of a depressing day all in all.

Am I right in thinking that will be a self contained level or maybe a hub world? The rest of the trailer looked brilliant awesome Mario.
  • JRPC wrote:
    The real world Mario stuff made me feel...uncomfortable. Remember Sonic Adventure?

Like, what exactly the fuck are we meant to make of this?

super-mario-switch.jpg

I really did not care for that trailer, but I suppose it's pretty hard to imagine it not being a brilliant game.

Bit of a depressing day all in all.

Sonic adventure is what I thought. I think it looks garbage.

Edit: fuck it rant.
    This is fucking trash. These are the exact same mistakes as they made with Sonic. The guy looks like a stock model for arch viz. If he saw Mario he would be freaked the fuck out. What are those trash stock model cars as well!?!
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I'm sure it'll be decent, unsure it'll be a masterpiece bit wouldn't bet against it.

It's got a whiff of Sunshine about it which is a bit unsettling.

Woah hey now Sunshine is a masterpiece
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Grand Theft Mario.  I'm sure the area will be fine as long as it's fun to navigate.
    Get schwifty.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Aye, it looks shite in that pic but you'll be pelting about and bouncing off cars and stuff, not giving a fuck. Hopefully it's just a level and not a hub.
  • 1430916375184547.png
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    God, yes! At least it's in Frinkahedron. And how '90s are those clothes?! America are always a good few years behind on fashion.

It looks like a new PC mod for GTA IV.
  • Gamermike wrote:
    JRPC wrote:
    The real world Mario stuff made me feel...uncomfortable. Remember Sonic Adventure? Like, what exactly the fuck are we meant to make of this? super-mario-switch.jpg I really did not care for that trailer, but I suppose it's pretty hard to imagine it not being a brilliant game. Bit of a depressing day all in all.

Am I right in thinking that will be a self contained level or maybe a hub world? The rest of the trailer looked brilliant awesome Mario.

I hope its not the hub. As you say, the rest of the game looked great (well, maybe not robo centipede) but while i could take the city level as a comical once off level, dont know if id be happy coming back to it over and over. Of course, the game may be good enough to dispell this vut thats the initial impression.

@escape honestly your big post was a great read. I had similar issues with zelda.

You should contact edge.

SFV - reddave360
  • This is utter madness. I take it Gerard Ratner is running Nintendo?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    escape honestly your big post was a great read. I had similar issues with zelda. You should contact edge.

To try and win a Nintendo?! Never! (Don't think it's their cup of tea, to be honest.)

Nah, I'd love to see them return to their glory days, but that surely won't happen until their old boys retire; and then they've probably some New duffers-in-waiting. I agree with everyone who's said that. Sony almost destroyed themselves with the same kind of big-boss hierarchy and proprietary formats, even up until the Vita (to its detriment), but their last two PlayStations have kept them going.
  • Stopharage wrote:
    This is utter madness. I take it Gerard Ratner is running Nintendo?

the-homer-inline4.jpg
    SFV - reddave360
  • super-mario-switch.jpg

Getting some real Crazy Taxi vibes from this image. I think the reason folk are saying it looks like Sonic Adventure is that is looks like a Dreamcast game in its tones.

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    @RedDave2 - Brother, can you spare two Joy-Cons?

[edit]

Oh, can you not play U games without the GamePad now? I've heard from several people that the GamePad's only required for the initial setup on more recent firmware. If you can buy an activated U for £30, a Pro for £13, and a power adaptor for £12 (and you already have an HDMI cable), that's £5 less than the Switch version of Breath of the Wild, and then maybe you can get a U copy for nowt with a hacked unit?
  • Andy wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    Also, I've obviously missed what the plus and minus buttons on the joycons are for. Volume? Do they have a function when not attached to the screen? I've also missed whether or not the screen can connect to Bluetooth headphones.
    Same as a Wii Remote I guess.
    Sorry, buddy, I've got no idea which bit you're answering. Even if I did, I don't know what being the same means.

As Crayon said:
    if I were to speculate I'd guess the plus and minus match the wii u/wii start and select type functionality respectively.

As to why they are plus and minus, no idea. They were originally start and select on the Wii Remote but were changed for the final design:

860.jpg
  • Escape wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Nah, I'd love to see them return to their glory days, .

We talking edge or nintendo here?

Edit: no, i dont know why the quotes did this either...
    SFV - reddave360
  • Escape wrote:
    Wireless headset like PS3.
    Just wow. This chat app requires a smartphone (I thought it was a Switch app), and that very device is going to show up the Switch's utter lack of functionality. It's like buying a Lotus to tow a Lada.

I'm not sure what you're saying there in reference to my post.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    super-mario-switch.jpg

Getting some real Crazy Taxi vibes from this image. I think the reason folk are saying it looks like Sonic Adventure is that is looks like a Dreamcast game in its tones.
    I'm saying Dreamcast because it looks like Sonic Adventure which took a cartoon character and dumped him in a realistic world.
    If it was full Roger Rabbit fine, but it's not.

I am convinced that city is the hub as well. It is huge and in the trailer he jumps in a warp/rocket ship/house that appears to launch him to a level.

At first I was fine with it. Mario is a plumber from Brooklyn or whatever, if they made a Mario styled Brooklyn I would be gully on board.

This bad arch viz 90s trash "real" world.

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It's very odd that the humans are all grey They Livians. As if it's cutting off its nose to spite its face by contrasting Mario's typical worlds with other games'.

RedDave2 wrote:
    We talking edge or nintendo here?

Both! Blurum was the former's big-ass butterfly effect.

Dants - I was saying that I thought their chat app ran on the Switch until you corrected me. Not sure why I quoted that particular bit, but you're right about the cheapness of low-end BT headsets. Or they could've used a 2.5mm jack on the Switch; they've no excuse for paid-app greed.

It just struck me - as I read your post - that you'd be using a functionally superior device to support a hobbled one.
  • Stick it in the OP Muzz:

ms4ukjciesvqdklunhap.jpg
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Good questions from Andy and moot - will make a point of trying to answer

Thanks.
  • Chat function is out for me if a smart phone is required.  Good.
  • Why have they gone with an old style Street Fighter?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Probably because they're hoping that the analogues won't be too heavily exposed in the absence of d-pads; because HD Remix was easy to update; and because it'll be an exclusive (or at least a timed one) due to its low demand elsewhere. They needed to complement it with a Smash to get any fightmen on board.

They've made chat so fiddly, Moot, you might as well set up Skype.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Why have they gone with an old style Street Fighter?

I can only think its cause its cheap. 3ds did 4, in my head i thought why not do a versiom of 2 using the 4 engine but that would cost too much. 5 would probably stretch the switch too much.

SFV - reddave360
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    Why have they gone with an old style Street Fighter?

Because nostalgia.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'd not be surprised if Xenoblade Chronicles 2 slipped into 2018.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!