Nintendo Switch
  • Vela wrote:
    Switch really needs an advance wars soon. I know there's an indie inspired by it coming soon, but tonight I'm getting the gb micro out of storage.

Into the breach scratched that itch for me

Yeah, me too. That said, would not say no to another advance wars. Or x-com...

SFV - reddave360
  • Finally smoked the Steam World Dig 2 boss this morning with a flat white to go.
    The Forum Herald™
  • So safe to say this is still selling pretty well then. Switch is now the fastest-selling console of this generation. Smash has also somehow managed to sell more copies in 11 days (3million) than it did in the entire lifespan of the Wii U.
  • What I still find quite exciting is that they're entering a one system ecosystem for the first time since the late 80's.

It will be interesting to see what they bring out now that they're not being so stretched.

The next year or two could be very interesting for Switch.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    3DS is still getting new releases, you cheeky monkey. :P
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I'm still genuinely surprised we got the likes of Warioware Gold and Luigi's Mansion this year, can't imagine there'll be much more now.

Great machine but of to silicon heaven you go.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think there's another Mario & Luigi RPG remake in 2019? And something else maybe? I would expect the fat lady to sing in 2019 but it's nowhere near happening yet.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn. I think it's also very likely they will announce some further final titles in the next Nintendo Direct, to much hostility and bitterness.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yeah, it's listed on the 3DS eShop now, I think. Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Story, or something. Enhance re-release of the DS original.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I'm not bitter, it's by far my favourite Nintendo handheld and the most fun I've had with one of their systems since the N64.

Sales dictate that it's on its last legs though, shame as I was hoping it would join the 80M club.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • All I want is etrien odyssey X and persona q2, then it can go live on the farm with all the other handhelds.
  • I thought Samus Returns was my 3DS swansong but I'll definitely get Luigi's Mansion at some point.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I sold off a lot of 3DS stuff in anticipation of it being put out to pasture, then they announced the 2DS XL and Samus, Luigi's Mansion, etc. etc.
  • Reggie announced the other day it’s being supported for years to come
    The Forum Herald™
  • If they don't think it's eating into Switch sales, I expect they'll keep supporting it until people stop buying stuff for it.
  • That don't mean much, yesterday Jose Mourinho had the backing of the Man Utd board. What else is Reggie meant to say?

My point is the Switch is their focus, two remakes don't strike me as a huge amount of their resources. I wouldn't be surprised if they're outsourced anyway tbh.

I highly doubt we're gonna get a new Zelda on 3DS or Mario Kart 9, and now that they don't have to make two of everything I'll repeat that I'm interested to see what they come out with now they're not so stretched.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    All I want is etrien odyssey X and persona q2, then it can go live on the farm with all the other handhelds.

Amen, brother.
    Get schwifty.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I'm not bitter

Oh no, you aren't but the internet at large makes lemons look tame when 3DS games are announced.
  • That don't mean much, yesterday Jose Mourinho had the backing of the Man Utd board. What else is Reggie meant to say?

My point is the Switch is their focus, two remakes don't strike me as a huge amount of their resources. I wouldn't be surprised if they're outsourced anyway tbh.

I highly doubt we're gonna get a new Zelda on 3DS or Mario Kart 9

Aye, I'm totally expecting the support to be cheap/outsourced ports and remakes. If the current batch sell well enough, why wouldn't they?
  • To be fair people have been banging on about Nintendo being able to focus all its in house development on switch since before it came out .. hasn’t really resulted in any games yet has it? Let’s hope it happens though
    The Forum Herald™
  • So anyway, I'll be having the Smashmans soon. And of course the official LAN adapter is sold out and/or extortionate, so, does any old USB network adapter work on the Switch? Really would prefer jank-free online battles if possible.
  • Bob wrote:
    To be fair people have been banging on about Nintendo being able to focus all its in house development on switch since before it came out .. hasn’t really resulted in any games yet has it? Let’s hope it happens though

Very true tbf, fingers crossed next year we start to see it.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    So anyway, I'll be having the Smashmans soon. And of course the official LAN adapter is sold out and/or extortionate, so, does any old USB network adapter work on the Switch? Really would prefer jank-free online battles if possible.
    WulffDen has a, slightly old maybe, video about why you don't need the Lan adapter which is this one:

And when I looked up that video I saw he uploaded this one 5 hours ago:

So I was gonna say "maybe hold off and try it with your wifi connection first" but now I haven't seen the second video yet and I don't know if I still have the same opinion.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    If they don't think it's eating into Switch sales, I expect they'll keep supporting it until people stop buying stuff for it.

Yeah, I can see it going for a long time as Nintendo's budget alternative. The 3DS (especially the cheap as chips 2DS) might be around for a while as the "Switch Jr.", a la SNES and Atari 2600.

Big releases might get thin on the ground, though. But didn't Mario Kart Wii sell a shit ton of copies last year? And Nintendo were making new Famicoms into the early 2000s, iirc. I reckon they could make easy money selling Nintendo Selects versions of Mario Kart 7 et al. to kids getting their first games console.
  • I'm still hoping / expecting that at some point we'll get a budget Switch that is pure, solid handheld, with integrated controls and 6" screen.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

x
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Wouldn’t the problem with that be that it wouldn’t be compatible with all Switch game. 1,2 Switch, for example.
    Get schwifty.
  • This would be true.  It wouldn't be ideal for games like Odyssey either.

I'd still buy it in a heartbeat.
  • So I finally found my gb micro and played advance wars to compare against into the breach.

In ITB my biggest gripe is the frequency on latter islands to be overwhelmed with absolutely no recourse to save an island, and seemingly no way to avoid the multiple vek placed in impossible positions. It sours the experience.

AW on the other hand has no reset button and is similarly punishing on poor placement, but the penalty is usually a week of recovery time, a mission rank if you grind out a win, or a defeat if you suck.

ITB has more in common with the Gollop model, although my frame of reference here is Shadow Wars on 3ds. Finite, unique units versus an army that can be rebuilt in time.

I just prefer AW and that's after 70hrs plus of ITB.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • AW is simply amazing. Even the later versions which had the commander mechanic it's still brilliant.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I also forgot that the micro flashes red on the start-select buttons when the battery is flat. Mid-battle black screen nooooooooo
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!