Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So I played through that bit of guac just now. I found it far less infuriating than your third floor, for I think three reasons in fact:
    - quicker restarts
    - general higher fidelity of platforming / lower momentum
    - the fact there's a double jump (and dragon punch) as recovery mechanisms for missed platforms

... and I'm not sure there's much you cam do about any of those, I may just be an (IMO) unfair match for LBP?

I then tried six, which immediately annoyed me due to its lower fidelity. I kept sticking to scenery, inconsistently bumping into spikes, and burning time redoing sections I'd struggled but got through previously, making overall progress slow, and then gave up to write this. I may try again later...
  • Hmm... OK. 

I've never had much trouble with the swimming bits. Certainly not getting stuck on scenery anyway. The last part of it is really easy too, as long as you go slow. There's sometimes the odd glitch, of course.

A lot of this may come down to the feel of LBP itself. Perhaps I just got really used to it while making these levels, but I know the weight and movement isn't as sharp as it could be.

Thanks for giving it a go anyway.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Sorry that all sounded rather negative. New kid = sleep deprivation = struggling to be constantly upbeat! I'll definitely give it anorher proper whirl before to long - agree my lack of recent lbp practice is likely a factor too
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So as promised, I had another go. But I still can't complete 6 :-( so so haven't seen your favourite floors :-(

IMO you should
    - put a checkpoint after the first crunch bit
    - remove some of the spikes, so there aren't so many instant deaths

As it is, I just find it too hard to be fun. It took me a while to realise you could hold X to swim fast, but even then the second cruncher kept getting me (if the first one didn't). Getting from the first safe bit to the second quick enough, without getting spiked, just wasn't happening.

I guess the question to ask yourself is: what are you trying to test in the player? Ability to work out where's safe? Ability to get there quick enough? Ability to get there quick enough on a safe route? TBH I'd try removing all the spikes, so you still get squashed if you're not safe, but won't die en route. Alternatively, retractable spikes, but I guess that's harder to implement?

I'll happily try again evenwith just the checkpoint, but I don't think there's much point me ploughing on till then as I've hit a spiky brick wall!
  • It's strange, but I thought that level was pretty easy. Wherever there isn't a spike is a safe spot, and you just hold x and swim for the next one as soon as the blocks start rising. A couple of them are a bit tight on the second section, but I don't have much trouble with it. The last section is best taken slow, without holding x, if you get to it.

I will fiddle with it a bit tomorrow though. Add a checkpoint and maybe remove a few spikes.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It may just be that i suck! We need a third opinion!
  • I've made some tweaks to that set of levels.

6 has a checkpoint, a few spikes removed and the camera is more zoomed in on those sections. It's still easy to get spiked if you get close, but should be slightly less annoying.

I added some extra checkpoints to the later levels as well, just in case you get that far.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yay - thanks dude :-) - I'll let you know how I get on!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ok, right, I've managed 6-10! Huzzah! Thoughts:

6 (swimming) - soooo much better with those changes! I still died a bit, but it felt lije my own fault, nor the level's / game's. Thumbs up!

7 (bombs) - kinda fun. The ice is a bit evil, I wonder how it would do without that, but decent enough.

8 (evil 8s) - interesting mechanic, and the coloured walls work very nicely. The end bit with the three layers of floor seemed a bit out of place, but the bit before that, with the lifts, add a great puzzle in terms of how it needed to be navigated - my highlight!

9 (dice) - another great mechanic, and one that wouldn't seem out of place in the main game (if you didn't steak if from there :-)). Nice length and checkpoints. No complaints.

10 (darkness) - interesting mechanic... but for me, too dark at the bottom. With imprecise physics, not knowing precisely where you are is a no-no imo. Made it too hard and too many cheap deaths. Not helped by the platforms also being invisible, it was lots of guesswork fir timing / distance to jump. Coupled with some missing checkpoints - they really need to be between EVERY section here i think, particularly between the first and second. Loved the hidden buttons though. I think id:
    - add that checkpoint
    - make it very slightly brighter at the bottom
    - add lights to thr moving platforms / grabby things
    - rove some fire from the floor - having to retry from the ground is punishment enough vs death

Overall though, pretty good! Hard going, and I think softening or would improve the package, but some very nice ideas and execution - nice one. I'll try the final lot tomorrow, so if you cam add some checkpoints in advance... :-)
  • Excellent. I'm genuinely impressed and pleased you got through it all.

10 was deliberately evil, so I knew that was coming. Adding lights to the grabby things is definitely a good idea (assuming it's possible). I'm not sure about removing fire from the bottom because that also gives off a little light. But I suppose if the whole thing was lighter that needn't be an issue.

I'll take a look at the 3rd set of levels today. I wasn't as happy with it as the others, and it might do with some tweaks.
  • I've tinkered with stage 11 a bit. Hopefully that'll make it more obvious what's going on. The rest is still a bit ropey, but should be doable.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ok cool. Didn't manage any yesterday, maybe tonight
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Right, done. Thank goodness. (Ended up finishing offline as the connection died - thankfully it had the level loaded, as I was midway, bit this means I think you won't see my high score of 160!). Thoughts:

11 (left to right to left) - nice concept, though a bit hard to work out what you needed to do on the right (I assumed go under first, not over), and the resetting / button bottom left was a bit tedious, and it was generally hard!

12 (car) - a bit meh tbh - the control, particularly rotating, was loose even by lbp standards, and the electric walls were quite hard to see

13 (rollers) - nice in theory, but a bit too random on practice - very inconsistent in how far you would jump i found. Also could have done with an earlier checkpoint imo

14 (scales) - no need for the injustice really - the scales were nice, just let them work! Doing the right thing and then randomly being killed, or having to redo it as you didn't know the key would unlock that bit thete but only fir 2 seconds, is just gratuitously mean!

15 (flowers) - best looking bit i think, but again a large number of unfair deaths - eg the on/off platforms, where you'd land on one just as a missile hit it, the only way to adjust being to fall down again.

So again - overall thoughts - nice ideas, but STOP TRYING TO MAKE IT SO FRICKIN HARD! People will enjoy it more if they can complete it, and less if they die unfairly. Go easier on them. Remove some elements. It may make the levels less clever / hardcore, but particularly with the dodgy physics they'll be all the better fir it. IMHO of course.

Having said that though - I'm being deliberately critical - it's overall a great achievement and obvious3lots of good effort gone in! I guess that's why I'm advocating the tweaking - they could be made great! I've enjoyed playing yhem, but have been close to tears more than once!
  • Didn't mean to ignore this, just put it aside to reply later and then forgot.

I fiddled quite a bit with 11 a few days before, having realised it wasn't very clear, but didn't think what a hassle it would be if someone went all along the bottom section on the second part.

12-14 all suffer from the same problem IMO, which is that the reality didn't quite live up to the concept. They were relatively complex to set up and by the time I realised they wouldn't work exactly as I wanted I didn't want to ditch them. 13 in particular is annoying, because it would be a good level if the rollers had a more consistent reaction. The randomness in 14 is definitely a bit shit - I have no defence.

15 was much more simple partly for that reason, but then I was just being a bastard.

In general, there are definite problems with the game itself in terms of physics and control, as people so often point out. So even though there's so much you can do the results are always a little fuzzy. It's such an odd decision that there's so much customisation available yet you can't just tweak jump height, weight etc.

Anyway, was great fun making some levels, and good to see someone play through them and offer some feedback.
  • I have LBP3 now and am loving it.

I have a quick question for anyone on the board who might know - is it possible to import pictures from, let's say, a USB stick into LBP for use in creation mode?

I'm making a Brexit themed level and i'd like to create robotic heads for the key political players, which would first require being able to import pictures of them.

Is it possible to import jpegs or similar image types onto the PS4?
  • I have no idea, but am offended by use of the non-word brexit.
  • Skondo wrote:
    I have no idea, but am offended by use of the the portmanteau brexit.

Sorry u hate language.

• I know what portmanteau is thank you very much. Personally I think, in this example, it's the very worst in lazy communication.
  • Skondo wrote:
    I know what portmanteau is thank you very much. Personally I think, in this example, it's the very worst in lazy communication.

What convenient shorthand would you use for it? The "forthcoming referendum" or the "British referendum of the subject of Europe" are both too clumsy to use regularly. Ideas?
  • Skondo wrote:
    I know what portmanteau is thank you very much. Personally I think, in this example, it's the very worst in lazy communication.

Also, tone is kinda hard to gauge on the net - my previous 2 posts were very tongue in cheek. I don't wanna make a mountain out of a molehill. :)

• What's wrong with British exit?

I don't know if bremain has been used, but I can only hope not.
  • Skondo wrote:
    What's wrong with British exit?

I don't know if bremain has been used, but I can only hope not.

Unfortunately for us both I'm pretty sure Bremain is a thing.
  • Okay, apologies Cinty, I didn't read it as tongue in cheek.
  • A little known fact:  A letter stating, "Sorry u hate language" was how the Wars of the Roses started.
  • Was that the war between fans of The Stone Roses and Guns 'n' Roses over which was the best band? I think I did done learnt about that in school.
  • Not sure if it's exactly what you want (it only seems to cover images taken using the PS4's share function, rather than importing them), but have a look at this:

• Thanks. That's not exactly what I need - but i may be able to work with that. Much appreciated.
  • An update: I managed to get that to work, kinda, so thanks a lot.

I tried copying the images across from USB but no dice - so I loaded them up on the PS4 browser, screenshoted them, edited them into a sharply video then screenshoted again inside LBP3. The result looks...less than nice, since I ran into memory limitations and had to start getting creative inside the level, but I not have pictures of UK politicians inside the CORRIDORS OF POWER segment of my level - which is just before the BOAT TO NORWAY.

This level is killing me, but I'm so close to finishing it.
  • This will be finished tomorrow, phew.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Or will it?? Surely you can make that bit in the middle a little bit cleverer?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!