games you've taken a day off work/school for
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Can't say I have ever taken a day off work for a game. Went home an hour early the odd time when I was younger but that's it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Papa livdiv bought me Conkers Bad Fur Day on the 64 when I was in house ridden recovering from an operation.
    Wetrix gave me a colossal headache which ended up with me having a day off school. Mama Livdiv was not impressed when she came home on her lunch break and I was playing Wetrix again.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Good old Wetrix.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    adored wrote:
    Something, something, No Man's Sky, something something.

This is about booking time off work, not killing your wife and selling your kids.
  • The problem these days is how often games are delayed, despite having seemingly nailed-down release dates. Half the time you can't be guaranteed that the day/week you booked off won't be wasted, when the game is delayed a month before launch.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Papa livdiv bought me Conkers Bad Fur Day on the 64 when I was in house ridden recovering from an operation.
    Wetrix gave me a colossal headache which ended up with me having a day off school. Mama Livdiv was not impressed when she came home on her lunch break and I was playing Wetrix again.

She obviously didn't know how awesome Wetrix is.

Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Didn't take time off (self employed benefit) but I did hit Mass Effect 2 hard when it came out. Like day and night solid for a week. Haven't played a game that much since.
  • Chief wrote:
    The problem these days is how often games are delayed, despite having seemingly nailed-down release dates. Half the time you can't be guaranteed that the day/week you booked off won't be wasted, when the game is delayed a month before launch.

Tbf, it was very nice of them to delay Bloodborne to coincide with a week I already had booked of off.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Can't believe people haven't mentioned No Man's Sky
  • Me neither.
  • I've been off work for over a month now since it was released and I still haven't managed to track down a copy. Must be selling like gangbusters
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I've been off work for over a month now since it was released and I still haven't managed to track down a copy. Must be selling like Apple Watches
  • Hahaha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Had the day off (for other reasons) when Halo Reach was released and ended up playing it for most of the day. Reached a point where I decided I'd been playing enough and should stop. Went back to it two weeks later and finished it in ten minutes.
  • I don't think I've done this which is unusual as all things indicate I am a massive dweeb and this is prime dweeb territory.
  • g.man wrote:
    I've been off work for over a month now since it was released and I still haven't managed to track down a copy. Must be selling like gangbusters

Even the digital copies.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A gaming purchase on a Friday gives new meaning to "anything for the weekend, Sir?".
  • I'll be off work coincidentally when House of Wolves releases, which is good, because if I wasn't, I'd be booking time off for that.

Seems justifiable for online things more than anything else I can think of.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I wanna skive off work when phantom pain comes out and do it all in one sitting and not know who or what I am at the end of it.
  • Never taken a day off from work for a game but have done the midnight opening shenanigans. The shame. 

When I began courting Mrs S, we came back from Uni to stay with my folks. My little brother had bought Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and we had a go on it. 4 days later, we'd finished the game, got all the red coins and were 2 days late back to university. Knew she was a keeper from that point on.
  • davyK wrote:
    A gaming purchase on a Friday gives new meaning to "something for the weekend, Sir?".

You're welcome.
  • Stopharage wrote:
    Never taken a day off from work for a game but have done the midnight opening shenanigans. The shame. 

When I began courting Mrs S, we came back from Uni to stay with my folks. My little brother had bought Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and we had a go on it. 4 days later, we'd finished the game, got all the red coins and were 2 days late back to university. Knew she was a keeper from that point on.

"Courting", bless you. That's how my Gran describes dating. I didn't know they had games consoles back in the olden days.

I've only ever done it for GH Metallica which I binged on all day, slowly sinking lower and more horizontal on the sofa til I was hanging off and trying to play it upside down. Stopped that nonsense when the neighbour looked through my window and saw me.
  • I managed to get a doctor's note for 2 weeks off when TBC got released for WoW, but then the online diagnosis thing said I might have AIDS so I feel that was justified. I don't have AIDS (for the record).

Edit: Just checked what the symptoms of AIDS are, and one is listed as "serious life threatening illnesses"
  • Championship manager 97/98. Pulled a few sick days from school so I could play that.

Quit my job when Halo 3 came out. It wasn't the reason, but it certainly stopped me getting another job for 6 months.
  • Use to do it frequently for Pro Evo back when it was good, as a group of us would play an all day mini league each year.

Remember bunking off school for Ocarina of Time too. It put a minor blemish on the attendance record for that year, but it was worth it
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Fucking kestla, pops up once a year, mentions PES and fucks off again. Post more you bastard!
  • My uni housemate flunked uni due to PES.
  • Me and my best mate used to miss college to play Pro Evo, we'd just sack it off after lunch or something.
  • Bunked off school so much after lunch. Used to go round mate's house to play stuff and just not bother going back to school. Culprits were:

Super Bomberman
    Micro Machines V2
    ISS
    Street Figther (obviously)

I'm sure there were more. We would occasionally bunk off and go down to Tottenham Court Road Computer Exchange as it was known back in those days. Get something new and come back and play all afternoon. Bunking was so much fun.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Pretty sure I did this for the first Gears of War. I regularly take days off to game now the kids take up all my other free time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!