MK's A-Z of Gaming
  • UFO: Enemy Unknown

One of my most played games. Perfect introduction to strategy games.

Unreal Tournament gets an honourable mention for office LAN games.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    U has been my favourite for other people's answers so far coz of actual variety.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Good call, Bollo.

Yes, I'll take Uplink too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    http://www.davykelly.com/collection/index21.html

Under Defeat for me. Great old school STG with modern graphics.

UN Squadron and Unirally are good shouts.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm quite looking forward to Sega owning tomorrow.
  • I'm sure the Nintendo lovers will be nominating some obscure Virtual Boy games to belittle Sega's achievements ;)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • UFO: Enemy Unknown or gtfo. 

I highly urge everyone who enjoyed the remake to play the original (not any of the sequels they are terrible), it's like the remake, except it doesn't treat you like an idiot, it's like the Dark Souls of turn based squad tactics strategy goodness, mixed in with that epic mid 90's take on the near future.

Seriously, the game had so much crammed into it that still isn't a thing in most modern takes on the genre. Everything was destructible, fire and smoke spread over time, with the corresponding effects to accuracy if you were shooting into/out of or through it. Your guys would even pass out if they went in without the correct gear, the amount of time taken to pass out being dependent on the individual guy's stamina. That's just scratching the surface!

Stuff like blowing a hole in the roof of a UFO and firing gas into the control room to try and capture high ranking aliens alive so you could interrogate them for information if you could't be bothered to fight your way through the UFO like normal. 

Completely variable squad sizes, base layouts that actually were the layout of the base you created if aliens ever attacked a base directly, the randomly generated maps, randomly generated (to a degree) soldier names and appearances, I could go on and on and on and on.

It came on 3 1.44mb floppy discs and it remains imho the greatest game of it's kind, how did they get it all to fit in there. 21 YEARS AGO! IT MAKES MY HEAD ASPLODE EVERY TIME I THINK ABOUT IT. 

Visionary. Seriously. If you never played it, it's like 99p on all the usual sites.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • It's one of my favourite games ever, but not very accessible if you've already played the more recent and streamlined remake; a bit like if you tried playing Morrowind after Skyrim. That said, i thoroughly enjoyed playing it from start to finish again while at uni. 

I have memories of suffering a complete squad wipeout without a single troop setting foot outside of the Skyranger. Hard indeed.
  • Turn one alien blaster launcher shot as your guys cluster round the landing gear for cover while disembarking, I know them feels bro.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm sure the Nintendo lovers will be nominating some obscure Virtual Boy games to belittle Sega's achievements ;)

Viewtiful Joe on GC says hi from first place.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'm sure the Nintendo lovers will be nominating some obscure Virtual Boy games to belittle Sega's achievements ;)

Lol...

• Or a couple of unknown things on overwatch. One shot fired, one person killed, another sent into a panic and killing two further teammates. He himself is then killed on the following alien turn. All troops, pilots and Skyranger lost without having even having seen the terrain.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

I think it'll be game, set and match to Sega, myself.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

I c wot u do.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Probably some asshole vagrants will fall in here spouting yarns.
  • Or a couple of unknown things on overwatch. One shot fired, one person killed, another sent into a panic and killing two further teammates. He himself is then killed on the following alien turn. All troops, pilots and Skyranger lost without having even having seen the terrain.

I'd forgotten all about troop morale! Man, this game had so many emergent little bits and pieces that could happen during missions.

Best game.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

They're definitely in with a fighting chance!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oho
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's on.
  • regmcfly wrote:

Funny you should mention the word vagrant cos there is one other game apart from Viewtiful Joe that is worthy of top spot. I yearn for a HD remake. Love Matsuno games.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Funny you should mention the word vagrant cos there is one other game apart from Viewtiful Joe that is worthy of top spot. I yearn for a HD remake. Love Matsuno games.

You are mistaken.
  • Roujin wrote:
    UFO: Enemy Unknown or gtfo.  I highly urge everyone who enjoyed the remake to play the original (not any of the sequels they are terrible), it's like the remake, except it doesn't treat you like an idiot, it's like the Dark Souls of turn based squad tactics strategy goodness, mixed in with that epic mid 90's take on the near future. Seriously, the game had so much crammed into it that still isn't a thing in most modern takes on the genre. Everything was destructible, fire and smoke spread over time, with the corresponding effects to accuracy if you were shooting into/out of or through it. Your guys would even pass out if they went in without the correct gear, the amount of time taken to pass out being dependent on the individual guy's stamina. That's just scratching the surface! Stuff like blowing a hole in the roof of a UFO and firing gas into the control room to try and capture high ranking aliens alive so you could interrogate them for information if you could't be bothered to fight your way through the UFO like normal.  Completely variable squad sizes, base layouts that actually were the layout of the base you created if aliens ever attacked a base directly, the randomly generated maps, randomly generated (to a degree) soldier names and appearances, I could go on and on and on and on. It came on 3 1.44mb floppy discs and it remains imho the greatest game of it's kind, how did they get it all to fit in there. 21 YEARS AGO! IT MAKES MY HEAD ASPLODE EVERY TIME I THINK ABOUT IT.  Visionary. Seriously. If you never played it, it's like 99p on all the usual sites.

X-COM: Terror from the Deep was awesome.

People complained about the difficulty bug in Enemy Unknown (after the first battle it reset to the easiest setting), so they just went all out.

Tech Trees that could be locked out if you didn't research in the correct order, harder enemies, FLYING FUCKING CHRYSALIDS!, two stage terror missions, two stage alien bases, alien activity sites that only stay temporarily, dark missions regardless of time of day because the crash site was too deep.

Game is awesome.
  • VT is awesome indeed. I just have a hard on for Vagrant Story.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You're still confused.
  • It's still UN Squadron day today.

Vanquish day is tomorrow.
  • Gonna give Virtual Hydlide a quick bash tonight to see if I was too harsh on it.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    It's the vandals you should watch out for.
  • Valkyria Chronicles
    Virtua Fighter (2)
    Virtua Tennis series
    Virtua Cop (2)
    Virtual On
    Virtua Racing
    Vanquish
    Viewtiful Joe.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!