COMPETITION TIME! THE RESULTS!
  • Yeah, I thought that too, but Adkm doesn't say only PAL releases. 

I should really play my copy. It may still be sealed, can't remember. My Xenogears certainly is.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • @jonb that was
  • PlayStation.png

The Answers

A1 Final Fantasy VII
    A2 Metal Gear Solid
    A3 Rally Cross
    A4 Fear Effect
    A5 Colony Wars
    A6 Gran Turismo
    A7 Eagle One Harrier Attack
    A8 Destruction Derby
    A9 Blast Chamber
    A10 Tekken

A relatively easy opening row. Rally Cross posed a bit of difficulty, but I thought folk would maybe guess it from the fact that I've often pointed out that it's superior to V Rally, which was out at the same time. Eagle One Harrier Attack was another difficult one to get, hence the inclusion of the unmistakable front-view of the plane. My potentially faulty memory tells me I bought it while I was getting hyped for Dropship: United Peace Force on PS2.

B1 MDK
    B2 Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater
    B3 Star Wars Rebel Assault II The Hidden Empire
    B4 WipEout
    B5 Medal of Honor
    B6 Bishi Bashi Special
    B7 Fighting Force
    B8 Bushido Blade
    B9 Syphon Filter
    B10 Battle Arena Toshinden

Nobody got the Hidden Empire part of Rebel Assault II, but everyone got the point, regardless. Despite using Dishonored as my spelling example, you all called it Medal of Honour. Titles are proper nouns, folks, doubly so when the title takes its name from another proper noun. This means that spelling is non-negotiable, unless specifically released under a different title. ;) Props to anyone getting Bishi Bashi Special, that's one I'm not sure I'd get from that portion.

C1 Tomb Raider
    C2 Die Hard Trilogy
    C3 Grand Theft Auto
    C4 Project Overkill
    C5 Tobal No 1
    C6 Spider-man
    C7 Dead or Alive
    C8 Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    C9 G Police
    C10 Time Crisis

I have never played Tobal No 1, but the box seemed to occupy the middle part of the middle shelf of the middle section of PlayStation games at the Electronics Boutique I always went to, so I'm really familiar with the cover. I thought C6 was a gimme, what with the font and the logo on his back, but some of you didn’t get it. I thought the recent boob chat would spur a few more people to get the DoA boobage, but no. Project Overkill was too obscure for most.

D1 Vigilante 8
    D2 Star Wars Dark Forces
    D3 Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
    D4 Worms
    D5 Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
    D6 Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
    D7 Heart of Darkness
    D8 Re-Loaded
    D9 Tekken 3
    D10 Resident Evil

Some Bandicoot confusion here. Tsk. I love that, given what the franchise has become, the original Resident Evil had such shonky cover art.  We also see the first game based in Oddworld. The older amongst us will remember that this was intended as a quintology, of which we've only ever seen Abe's Oddysee and Munch's Oddysee. Everything else (including forum favourite Stranger's Wrath) has been distraction and procrastination. Well made distraction and procrastination, but distraction and procrastination nevertheless. I seem to remember a quote in a magazine in the build up to the first game that they thought the last couple of games would be in the next generation of consoles. That went well.

E1 Silent Hill
    E2 Mech Warrior 2
    E3 Crash Team Racing
    E4 Road Rash
    E5 Future Cop LAPD
    E6 Star Gladiator Episode 1: Final Crusade
    E7 Tomorrow Never Dies
    E8 Vagrant Story
    E9 Spyro the Dragon
    E10 Ape Escape

I love the full title of Star Gladiator. It was one of those games that described its story as though there was some grand, pre-existing mythology to buy into. I also love the straight faced way that the opening episode is the final crusade. Doesn't leave much scope for Episode II. That's maybe why the sequel isn't Episode II. It also wasn't released on PlayStation; arcade and Dreamcast only. I'm pretty sure I owned Tomorrow Never Dies (at the time, I mean. I definitely own it now) but I've always been a sucker for multi-genre movie tie-ins.

F1 Crash Bandicoot
    F2 Anna Kournikova’s Smash Court Tennis
    F3 Loaded
    F4 Tekken 2
    F5 PaRappa the Rapper
    F6 Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
    F7 Dino Crisis
    F8 Point Blank
    F9 Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
    F10 Grandia

More of the kind of quirks I miss. I love that the Smash Court series got the biggest tennis star of the day to give her name and Polly Pocket likeness to a game which had no other real people, and typical Japanese quirkiness, with scuba divers swimming under one of the courts, and so on. More subtitle madness, as we see that technically it should've been Blood Omen: Soul Reaver that appeared two rows earlier. This series has really lost its way, it's a pity. REBOOT TIME! (More Bandicoot confusion. Tut.)

G1 Diablo
    G2 Soul Blade
    G3 (c-12) Final Resistance
    G4 Ridge Racer
    G5 Lone Soldier
    G6 Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortez Strikes Back
    G7 Destruction Derby 2
    G8 Tomb Raider II
    G9 Sheep
    G10 N.Gen Racing

More crap cover art! What were the makers of Lone Soldier thinking? (c-12) Final Resistance isn't much better, tbh. I thought I'd been sly with Ridge Racer. Obviously not. Did anyone here have N.Gen Racing? I may have to head to eBay. I went to eBay. This row facilitated the final bout of Bandicoot confusion, even though part of the title is in shot. Pfft.

H1 Rollcage
    H2 One
    H3 V Rally ((97) Championship Edition)
    H4 International Track & Field
    H5 Nightmare Creatures
    H6 Resident Evil 2
    H7 Descent
    H8 Cool Boarders
    H9 Clock Tower
    H10 Apocalypse

So, One stumped most people. It was one of the hardest covers to find. I ended up spending more time finding it on the internet than I would've spent digging out my scanner and doing it myself. Y'all should take a bit of time to get to know this game. It's nails. Most of you missed off the 'International' part of International Track & Field. Hey ho. Very few of you got Clock Tower or Nightmare Creatures, which I thought were more popular than that.

I1 Sled Storm
    I2 Adidas Power Soccer
    I3 wip3out
    I4 Devil Dice
    I5 Chrono Cross
    I6 Gran Turismo 2
    I7 ISS Pro Evolution
    I8 Vib Ribbon
    I9 Colin McRae Rally
    I10 Kula World

I was pretty lax with the scoring on 7. There has never been a game called ISS Pro Evolution Soccer. The 'ISS' stands for 'International Superstar Soccer', so adding 'Soccer' at the end would be tautologous. It also leads to confusion, since Pro Evolution Soccer is a different game. The key part to get was the 'ISS' part. Aparently Kula World is known as Roll Away in some territories, so hylian_elf will be glad I did my homework and he got a point for it.

J1 Ridge Racer Type 4
    J2 Starfighter 3000
    J3 Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko
    J4 Alundra
    J5 Shockwave Assault
    J6 Twisted Metal 2/World Tour
    J7 Medievil
    J8 WipEout 2097
    J9 Croc: Legend of the Gobbos
    J10 Driver

I reckoned that Driver was one of the most iconic covers of the generation, so early on I fired it into that last square, because who doesn't love a happy ending? This row includes two of the most obscure titles in Starfighter 3000 and Shockwave Assault. The latter was one of the first PlayStation games I owned. The first was one of the first PlayStation games to support analogue control, as it was supported by the Dual Analog Pad which was later replaced by the DualShock. It was also the only game that was never correctly guessed.

So…

The Results

Moot_Geeza 92
    Eric 90
    JonB 83
    retroking1981 80
    hylian_elf 80
    Verecocha 77
    Gamermike 76
    RamSteelwood 46
    Blue Swirl 40

Well done Moot. PM me your details and there’ll be a goody-bag winging its way towards you later on this week.

Hope y’all had fun.

JonB wrote:
    Not happy about that.
    Did you know it and not include it because you thought PAL only?
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Not happy about that.
    Did you know it and not include it because you thought PAL only?
    It's more like I would've considered import only stuff if I'd have known it featured. Who knows, I might have guessed it? (Not that it matters overall.)

Anyway, most of the ones I didn't get, I'd forgotten or never knew existed. The only stupid thing I did was miss Cool Boarders, even though that was the first thing I thought of and even checked it, because I thought the images I found were different.
  • Project Overkill! D'oh!
  • I got Shockwaves Assault when confirming another title. As I had never heard of it and never would have guessed it, I didn't submit it. I still don't know what the hell it is.
  • This was outstanding, well done adkm.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    This was outstanding, well done adkm.

Seconded. Brilliant work Adkm,really enjoyed it.
  • I actually own two of the games that I didn't get, Wipeout and Road Rash. To make matters worse I actually got the points for the other two Wipeouts that I don't own. What an idiot!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    This was outstanding, well done adkm.
    Seconded. Brilliant work Adkm,really enjoyed it.

You're most welcome. So, is that a thumbs-up for a PS2 version later?
  • I'll probably get booed for this.....but I've tallied my points up and I reckon I only missed 9.  I did leave the number 3 off Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped ('Crash Bandicoot Warped'), and Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko though (which I managed to type as 'Gex: eep Cover Gecko').  Adkm, you're a hard taskmaster.
  • Boo...
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I got 3 points
  • How many of these were not released in PAL btw? I don't think I've ever layed eyes on NTSC cases for PS, a stark contrast compared to 16Bit, importing was huge back then.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Despite using Dishonored as my spelling example, you all called it Medal of Honour.

I called it Honor.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I was going to complain about i2, I'm sure it's adidas power soccer 2...but just realised I managed to miss Adidas off the answer i sent in anyway. I'm amazed i got 46 and wasn't last...was there bonus points for stupidity? ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • @Moot_Geeza: Well, this is embarrassing. I managed to not score an entire round of your entry. I blame you and the fact that you got overexcited and had to be reminded about rules 3 & 4. It's got nothing to do with me initially marking your sheet, along with Verecocha's and RamSteelwood's, with a five bar gate tallying system which I dropped due to confusion. Honest.

I hope Eric didn't already see the thread and get excited.

Way to fuck up a good thing, adkm. :(
  • Haha, I didn't read the rules at first so I fired off the first two rows as I worked through them, before receiving a "stop, stop!!" message.  Overexcited is accurate.  

It's a bit of a fizzy lifting drink situation now, sorry.  Technically I broke the rules, so Eric should win.
  • What! I've just come back from the countryside to find, I've been out retro-ed by Moot. I actually think I got full marks, but I wouldn't dream of undermining the quiz master and ask for a recount;)
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Great work Adkm, it was a really great quiz and well done Moot...

(jerkoff)
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I thought adkm had gone all adkm and started marking down for spelling and so on before a tie-break situation.  Was ruing the capital 'W' I put on my 'wip3out'.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I thought adkm had gone all adkm
    To know me is to love me.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    So… The Results Moot_Geeza 92 Eric 90 JonB 83 retroking1981 80 hylian_elf 80 Verecocha 77 Gamermike 76 RamSteelwood 46 Blue Swirl 40

Fuck yeah, participation medal. GIMME MY WOODEN SPOON, BIZNITCHES.

Talking of Shockwave Assault and the first Sony analog (sic) pad, I do wish they'd have kept the longer grips on the various iterations of the Dual Shock pad. The Dual Shock 4 comes pretty close.

I'm also kicking myself about Colony Wars, as my brother and I played the crap out of that back in the day.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I'd love one of these for PS2.
  • You the man.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Hey guys. I did one for the Nuon.

tempest_quiz_zpskvjw9wht.png

PM answers by February 10th.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    SPOILER TAGS, please. Sheesh.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!