GOTY 2014! VOTING CLOSED... DESTINY WINS IT! OP WITH FULL LIST
  • The Videogame I have had the most fun playing this year is Towerfall: Ascension. The 6 hours I spent playing it with three friends easily puts it above anything else this year, except maybe Lethal League.
  • That looks like Smash Bros. Is that fair?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    We need Elf to come along and point out all these games were actually released last year and hence don't count.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Football Manager 2015, MK8, DkS2, Destiny.
  • Brooks wrote:
    That looks like Smash Bros. Is that fair?

Towerfall or Lethal League? Both share its DNA for sure, but they're more pared back and focus on lithe mechanics.

Towerfall is all about the impeccable dodge & catch mechanic plus the variety of arrows to play with. Plus there are lots of little details that add up to make fights very tactile and interesting. The variables are nice too, we had it set up so that when Kaz died he got the ability to blow up his corpse at will - shenanigans commenced.

Lethal League is all about the brilliant pause that happens when a character hits a fast ball, adds a lot of weight to the life or death volleys, lots of hollering as the speed gauge doubles with each improbable hit
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    We need Elf to come along and point out all these games were actually released last year and hence don't count.

Yes, you do. Otherwise we just count in MCC and there is no competition. Anyway....

1. Bayonetta 2
    2. MK8
    3. Dark Souls 2
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Didn't realise I'd become this guy, but I obviously have:

1. Shovel Knight (3DS)
    2. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (WiiU)
    3. Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
    4. Mario Golf (3DS)

5. Fifa 15 (PS3 - reluctant to put such a lazy update in a GoTY list, but it's a decent footie game and I've enjoyed playing a mate online)

The only other games on the list above that I'm certain or likely to eventually play are Trials Fusion, The Swapper, Bayonetta 2, Shantae & the Pirate's Curse, Luftrausers and OlliOlli (messed around with the last two, enjoyed them both but I'm not in a position to judge).
  • I think FIFA is abysmal this year.
  • Didn't PES review better this year for the first time in a while?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • TheDJR wrote:
    I think FIFA is abysmal this year.

I wouldn't even notice to be honest, I never get good at them.  Seems the same as last year's with less laggy menus and less hiccups online, but that could be due to the fact that the guy I play against has a new service provider.  I mainly like it because Manchester United have a smattering of exciting players in it this year, even though our head to head currently stands at something like 4W-9L-2D.  Costa is impossibly good in it and Falcao can't hit the broad side of a barn (that's my excuse anyway).
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Didn't realise I'd become this guy, but I obviously have

As long as you don't start using the word 'Ninty', you'll be okay.

• What about Nintyendo
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    No entiendo
  • Did I miss the part where someone asked why GTAIV Redux might be banned? Or does everyone know about it already?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • krs wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Didn't realise I'd become this guy, but I obviously have
    As long as you don't start using the word 'Ninty', you'll be okay.

I wish I could still be Mr.Sega, I knew who I was back then.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Hodge360 wrote:
    Did I miss the part where someone asked why GTAIV Redux might be banned? Or does everyone know about it already?

Because it doesn't exist.
  • So why might it be banned?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • If games from last year that have been re-released this year are allowed, Last of Us should win because it won last year and nothing better has been out this year.
  • Shovel Knight would win both years.  This has already been stated in another thread.
  • I withdraw my participation if re-releases are allowed.
  • Good man
  • Is there any way the answer can be spelunky?

If not then bayonetta 2. I really don't think I've played any other of this year's releases.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • If people can say "I played TLOU on PS4 this year and it was the best game I played" then I am all for it.

If people are picking it based on playing the PS3 version last year then I don't see the point of a list at all. If we are just going to try and guess what was the most popular game rather going off our own experiences then we may as well just copy paste a list from eurogamer or ign.

In other words, vote for the game that you most enjoyed released in 2014 as that is actually interesting.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I think FIFA is abysmal this year.
    I wouldn't even notice to be honest, I never get good at them.  Seems the same as last year's with less laggy menus and less hiccups online, but that could be due to the fact that the guy I play against has a new service provider.

FIFA15 feels a good bit different to 14, there were quite a few changes within the actual game, as well as various improvements to menus, modes and options. I would by no means say it's abysmal, but the continued graphical improvements only serve to highlight that this game (like, frankly, every franchise that has continued into this generation) needs a complete ground-up rewrite.

Didn't PES review better this year for the first time in a while?

I just got it on Friday. As someone who plays a fair amount of FIFA  it's going to take time to convert but, even a few games in, I'm starting to see that gameplay will be better. In terms of presentation, though, this is several leagues below FIFA. It's shocking.

Hodge360 wrote:
    Did I miss the part where someone asked why GTAIV Redux might be banned? Or does everyone know about it already?

In years past games have been excluded for being re-releases of older games. It's been inconsistent, though, chiefly dependent on whether the game is Zelda which, despite (or perhaps because of it) being a series of essentially the same game time and time again, is not excluded when relaunched on a new platform. Winky smilies all round.
  • GOTY 2014 is easily Twitch Chat.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    If games from last year that have been re-released this year are allowed, Last of Us should win because it won last year and nothing better has been out this year.
    Not strictly speaking true. We've always done this based on what we've actually played. TLoU was far and away my favourite game of last year. I own and have played Remastered, but I've not played it much. I don't think many people here have bought it, so I don't see it polling very highly.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    If games from last year that have been re-released this year are allowed, Last of Us should win because it won last year and nothing better has been out this year.

Nonsense. Even if nothing better had been released this year, it seems unlikely that many people who played it and completed it last year would vote for it again this year unless they'd spent much time with it this year.

Personally, I think all of these restrictions should be dropped and we should be able to vote for the game that's brought us the most pleasure this year regardless of when it was released. The chances are that it would still end up being won by a game released this year as that's when games tend to get the most hype and win the most fans, plus people tend to get bored of games fairly quickly. This 'no remakes or rereleases' rule is unnecessarily restrictive.

Not that it matters anyway this year as Threes! is the GotY.
  • Okay I've played the Hyper Light Drifter beta now and it's more than okay. I'd like the rest of it now please, developing studio.
  • Roujin wrote:
    GOTY 2014 is easily Twitch Chat.

GOTD
  • I was going to say that Yoss makes some good points, until his last sentence lost him any credibility he had and so I shall ignore his whole post.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!