GOTY 2014! VOTING CLOSED... DESTINY WINS IT! OP WITH FULL LIST
  • Okay my serous vote for goty is:

Hearthstone

Runners up include South Park, Bayonetta 2 (even though I can't play it, such butthurt), Destiny and Dark Souls 2
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • C. It's wank.

PAAAGEEE TUUUUURRRNNN
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • I haven't played a single game released this year, barring PES2015. I am not a smart man
  • That's not really unsmart at this point.
  • I've stuck 40 hours in Rebirth so I guess that should my number 3, meaning I have finished the game: suffix
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    A. Many people strongly dislike it because of its faults.

True, but we can only vote positively, unfortunately. I'd be interested to see what would happen in government if we could also vote negatively.
    B. So just because loads of us have played an average* cross platform game it should be GOTY?

I'm not saying it should be, I'm saying that's the way this tends to go. I generally don't bother voting in this due to the fact that I find it ridiculous to pick a favourite game out of the handful I've played in a given year, I'm making an exception this year due to the greatness of Threes!
    *an entirely unscientific measure that draws a line roughly in the middle of the likes and dislikes

I'm not sure about that. I think that the likes outweigh the dislikes from what I've seen. And many of those that do like it, like it very strongly indeed. That's got to count for something. It's currently sustaining a dedicated community drawn from here across at least two, maybe even three or four formats, not many games manage to do so on one or two.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Do we give the winning development team an award once we decide? Are we having a ceremony? Invite them down to Christmas stock.
  • Mikemsp wrote:
    C. It's wank.
    yes but it's less wank then all the other games this year hence why it's goty
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Destiny plebs can have their fun ;)

Seriously though I do worry that what is bad with Destiny has potential to be repeated in games that don't have the chops to back it up.

I understand what the Destiny players like about it even if it isn't enough for me. Take that core gameplay out and swap in lesser gameplay and you could have a right run of turd games being released using the same Destiny formula.
  • C. It's wank.
    yes but it's less wank then all the other games this year hence why it's goty

Least Wank and Hence Game of the Year is a more fitting thread title than current.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I really want a go on vault of glass since plenty of destiny haters I know of jizzed over it.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    We'll turn this thread yet into a haven for mastabatory terms.
  • Were there any more games like Journey or Proteus released this year?
  • Sailor's Dream and the Vanishing of Ethan Carter probably best fit that ambient gaming tag.
  • Isn't the Destiny formula just PSO anyway.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Jesus fuck Destiny brings out the wank in people. Its an alright game that follows tried and tested MMO nonsense to keep you hooked doing the same thing over and over. Move on gents, ya like/dislike, whatever.
  • Yes but it isn't allowed to be game of the year DS don't you SEE
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Except if it has more votes than everything else then lol at the pissypant moaners
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Its my 3rd best of the year anyway #YOLO
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's Borderlands with no personality. As opposed to having the personality of a coked up 14 year old.

Wank.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Borderlands has personality for about 4 hours then you realise its teeny wank and Claptrap is massively fucking annoying but the loot hunt is great.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    "DO YOU WANT TO HEAR MY DUBSTEP TUNE FOR THE 200th TIME" Claptrap asks as Axton slowly turns the gun on himself.
  • Only really owning a PC that can't even play the most recent of releases really skews stuff anyway. I have no idea what Destiny even is, apart from a thing that exists. Most competent evolution of a genre this year is easily Endless Legend, it makes Civ V look obscure and confused with its FIDSI system, and the GUI is just incredible considering the amount of info it conveys - not that i'm voting for it, it crashes my PC after about 250 turns due to graphical overload, but what a sweet 250 turns it is.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Anybody mentioned the critical daahling that is This War of Mine yet? Not played it but I've seen people gushing over it like Cytherea in a grot vid.
  • Ima vote for Borderlands.

mayber

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It's only just out isn't it? I've heard it's good and I might give it a go - there's a good comment on RPS where a person who lived through the Sarajevo war (which it's loosely based on) refutes a lot of the tonal issues - basically saying it's a very bitter perspective on things, and tries to suggest that people are cruelly atavistic. RPS themselves had trouble recommending it based on how nihilistic it all is too.

Here's the quote by the guy from Sarajevo, which is quite interesting I think:
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Interesting read that, cheers. I will try it out at some point, I love a bit of bleak. Mainly what I'm reading from people is its wonderful, heartbreaking, moving, and they can't really recommend it in a proper gaming sense due to how very bloody depressing the whole thing is.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Me thinks it highlights the issue that game devs too easily fall to killing as a game mechanic.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    It's only just out isn't it? I've heard it's good and I might give it a go - there's a good comment on RPS where a person who lived through the Sarajevo war (which it's loosely based on) refutes a lot of the tonal issues - basically saying it's a very bitter perspective on things, and tries to suggest that people are cruelly atavistic. RPS themselves had trouble recommending it based on how nihilistic it all is too.

Here's the quote by the guy from Sarajevo, which is quite interesting I think:
    Spoiler:

Blimey. Bad stuff in that quote, but kind of reassuring that everyone didn't turn into a cunt despite the awful situation they were in.
  • That's another thing to not play then.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!