Game 'Narrative'. Let's get this boxed off.
‹ Previous12345
  • With the exception of Gears Of War, stories in games are usually sub standard and the way of telling those stories doesn't take advantage of the unique capabilities of the medium.

Let's point to good and bad examples, come up with our own ideas, and sort this problem once and for all.

Just so we don't get all mixed up, let's define some terms.

Narrative - The way a story is told. Flashback, cut-scenes, found audio log.

Plot - The events of a story. Football player fights aliens that invaded earth.

Scrip/dialogue - The lines that are spoken by the characters. "Hey Baird, remember that time we were both in the shower?"

http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=game+narrative&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ei=ubXgU-mYA-mf7Ab9xIGABQ&ved=0CBoQgQMwAA

/discuss
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • I think Zelda does great narrative and plot but the script can be a bit hit and miss. 

Loved the script in Goldeneye.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    With the exception of Gears Of War
    wot

Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • With the exception of Gears Of War

Waht
  • Let's get this boxed off.
    I'll box you off in a minute.
  • I can't srsly believe someone's trying to do this thread again.
  • The gears comment needs some justification.
  • I had a look for other threads but couldn't find one. Gears is the Casablanca of third person shooters.
  • Ftr the best AAA cutscene-game-cutscene title to date is Last of Us, but that's still made a janky experience by that very structure. They tried real hard, indeed it'll probably never be more convincingly executed, but it just doesn't work enough. You need writing that's fundamentally dislocating, even Brechtian or Lynchian if you prefer, to really allow the jarring switch from control to not-control to make a kind of sense, but that's no friend of 'straight' drama obviously.

Pure simulation engineering with player agency prioritised and where there's a minimum of non-diagetic overlay is very hard to inject traditional (i.e. easily parsed) emotional/intellectual beats into, but that's what kind of 'game fiction' succeeds best. The experience ends up being reflective more than anything else, and I think that's basically fine. Less about the grand rollercoaster than moments of poignancy that add up to something satisfying and, crucially, coherent.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Stray 'a' there, but otherwise yes.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • The story in gears is everything that's wrong with story in games. Cliche after cliche, uninteresting, uninvolving, a pointless distraction from the main game rather than being interweaved with it. Like a lot of triple As, it's so bleak though. It's a game where you shoot aliens in the fuck over and over again, don't give me tortured angst and melancholy.

Stories like that are another symptom of the industry characteristic of not knowing what the fuck it's doing when trying to make something worthy of adult consideration.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I feel a bit like a guilty marked pleb when I admit my enjoyment of everything Kojima apart from MGS4 so I wear it on the inside of my sleeve.

That said I guess you can read MGS4 a the product of someone who gave nae fuck anymore and wanted to sabotage the whole thing.
  • Game mechanics being used as narrative devices. Majora's Mask is the classic example, in that the basic try-fail-learn-repeat until win structure of most videogames is its actual plot. It's also Groundhog Day, which is itself a videogame in the form of a film. Another good one is Astroboy: Omega Factor, in which a level select becomes a time travel plot.
  • For me, where devs need to improve in games is in knowing what they want the narrative to be.
    It is OK to have a straight up story that that the player has no control other.
    Equally the direction can be directed by the player.

Mixing elements can work but generally leads to disappointment. Either a strong plot loses it's way or the decision given to the player are largely inconsequential, leaving a feeling of being duped.
  • It's that sort of thing, yeah. Dork Souls specifically writes its scenario to accommodate player death and rebirth - you lose the payoff of emotional investment in a character's life, but you gain something quieter and just as valuable in the long term as a 'reader'.

Good, deep game design just seems fundamentally out of step with the high denial of agency that upfront histrionic writing works best with. The only reason studios still make the attempt is because they're trying to straddle the expectations of several audiences at once, and it's been easier to promo and sell shit with cutscene trailers than communicate with actual play footage. Which is to say, barriers to reform at the top of the industry are institutional. There is more success to be found where the expectations of the suits aren't as severe.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I haven't played it, but how did ZombieU get on with telling the story? Seemed fairly unique to me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Text adventures are the only genre that have a chance at narrative.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Kentucky Route Zero is apparently Lynchian story telling but to me it's just a bit batshit because I've never seen a Lynch anything.
  • davyK wrote:
    Text adventures are the only genre that have a chance at narrative.

Well, a kind of narrative. There are many kinds. The straight rollercoaster of summat like Panzer Dragoon Zwei is fine for the raw narrative of thrills, but you're gonna struggle to inject intellectual depth in that, simply because so much of the experience is about players having to do stuff quickly.

Of all written fiction, I'd maintain the best fit is probably detective/mystery stuff, simply because so much of the emotional dividend there is about maintaining interest in puzzle solving anyway.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Eurogamer are waxing about Elite: Dangerous and the emergent possibilities therein (and Star Citizen and Minecraft and NMS yes) are the jewel in game dev's storytelling crown.  Give me a world, some stuff to do and things to encounter and I'll write my own obit thanksverymuch.  The barriers Brooks identifies are being ever so slightly nudged aside (or least circumvented) by crowd funding.  Not entirely, but it's making a dent.  You don't want compromise and AAA is rife with it.  For my own projects I might include bare boned-narrative as a framework, but if I feel the need to explore complex human frailties in game form I can always start a shitty blog.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    how many times are we going to do this guiz lol
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Good, deep game design just seems fundamentally out of step with the high denial of agency that upfront histrionic writing works best with.

This. And, furthermore, I'd say that when games do get this right, they do so by doing something which is not storytelling. I haven't actually played Gone Home yet, but from what I understand, what story there is isn't told to you, but simply placed in this world for you to discover. I'd describe that not as good storytelling, but rather good world-building.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Video games could convey feelings - the hand holding in Ico is a good example of that; as is the reveal near the end of Super Metroid. That should be concentrated on and action oriented video game narrative should be left as "Expendables" style exposition that allows you to get on with it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Game stories where the mechanics are also the plot get extra points.

Like the bit in Gears where Marcus is shooting things and says "eat shit and die".
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    But he doesn't actually make them eat shit.
  • Only because they die before they get the chance.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Good, deep game design just seems fundamentally out of step with the high denial of agency that upfront histrionic writing works best with.
    This. And, furthermore, I'd say that when games do get this right, they do so by doing something which is not storytelling. I haven't actually played Gone Home yet, but from what I understand, what story there is isn't told to you, but simply placed in this world for you to discover. I'd describe that not as good storytelling, but rather good world-building.
    It's up,to you how you'd describe it. If you're defining storytelling as 'how stories are told in other mediums', the yes games aren't particularly good at that (they can only successfully emulate it by temporarily stopping being a game). If you're defining it as 'the way in which a series of events is laid out', then games can be great at it.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Fewer shit eating narratives please, what with the flood of titles like Call of Shiteating 4 and Loaf Pincher 6: Chowdown.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    yer that too
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!