Which console is the most aesthetically pleasing?
  • The palm sized game boy is winning this thread by a mile.

The wii is probably second. Despite Ninty getting the top two spots everything else they've produced has all the uglies.

The wafer thin PS2 is ok but undone by the comical dichotomy with its controller. Various PSP iterations are pleasant enough, although they're all just rip off versions of the Game Gear. 

Everything else can be filed under huge slab of plastic. If I'm just picking favourites out of that group, the original mega drive design was good in as much as it looked like a serious powerhouse at the time. I don't think my 9 year old self would have enjoyed it quite so much if it had been understated and minimalist.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message

Liking that proto PSP.

Get schwifty.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Good shout on DS lite. I have a black one and it is effortlessly sleek. I place it first, ahead of the GB.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Anything black with a gloss finish is an instant no from me, shows up any mark. Unless your Iwata and handle them with Mickey Mouse gloves on your in trouble.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I would also argue that the Gameboy pocket in the right colour was rather handsome back in the day.

Also I finally looked up the Turbografx 16, nothing to write home about. I was fucking bang on with the PC Engine though. Behold the glory. Before Nintendo even knew what a small console was all about, these industrious motherfuckers had knocked this up:

PC_Engine.jpg
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Never been a fan of the ridges but I do love my silver slim PS2. There's something appealing about the size of its flap in relation to the whole unit, too.

IMG_7192.jpg

Phwoar.

GC takes it in the Most Satisfying Disc Tray category though. Almost bought an orange one, just to have as an object, on several occasions.

I'm also a fan of those 3DS designs that make it look like a girl's purse.

3DS_toad-Kopie.jpg
    ac3ds.jpg
    gaming-eevee-themed-nintendo-3ds-1.jpg

And the orange and black one because it has orange buttons(!):
    3ds-orange.jpg
  • GBA Micro and SNES for me - dem proportions!

Wikipedia_gameboy_micro.jpg

Nintendo_SNES_01.jpg
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The GBA Micro does look nice, but unfortunately it also looks nigh-on unplayable to me. I've never actually used one, admittedly, but I don't see how it's possible to hold one securely and comfortably. Maybe I'm missing the point.

Anyhow, for my money, in no particular order, the OG 360, the Dreamcast and the Wii all work very well.
  • Yoss likes em white.
    Racist
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Actually, my 360's an Elite, and I prefer it to the beige.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The GBA Micro does look nice, but unfortunately it also looks nigh-on unplayable to me. I've never actually used one, admittedly, but I don't see how it's possible to hold one securely and comfortably. Maybe I'm missing the point. ...
    Had one for years - comfortable enough to rack up hundreds of hours on stuff like Advance Wars, Fire Emblem and FFTA. Pretty much felt like a NES joypad + shoulders.
  • The DS Lite does look good in this blue... 

41J-%2BdH9LoL.jpg
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    I remember walking round a whole load of shops before finally tracking down this little beauty in Arctic blue.
    41EPVPMRK7L.jpg

Also, love the slimline PS2 because it looks more like a notebook than a console.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    danclarke wrote:
    The DS Lite does look good in this blue...  41J-%2BdH9LoL.jpg
    Look at that, pinnacle.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • The GB Micro plays just fine, I have pretty lanky hands too.

My faves (of the consoles I've owned):

GB Colour -

d2d2618e6773f133bae06635495696eb69f0858e_m.jpg
    GameBoy_Color_1998_by_pinholee.jpg
    game-boy-color-teal-front_123784.jpg
    I particularly like the beveled edges on the front and that curve at the bottom. Sadly I had the pinkish one, only preowned colour available at the time.

GBA SP -

gbaSP_pr.jpg
    Improved%20Nintendo%20GBA%20SP%20Gameboy%20SP%20Game%20Console%20Multifunction%20Game%20Player92.jpg
    I had silver though I'm not sure which colour I would prefer. Blue is nice but let down slightly by the grey shoulder buttons.

Gamecube -

2565868-gamecube.jpg
    (I had the purple, not my choice but it was alright)

Xbox -

xbox-crystal-edition-218332415.jpg
    (Crystal edition) Proper brute of a console, loved it.

GB Micro -

BafjX.jpg
    2464467169_191162150b_z.jpg?zz=1
    It's just bloody lovely.

Some others that I haven't owned but like -

PSP Go -

psp_pspgoblack570x276.jpg
    617TAu5iGdL._SL1000_.jpg
    I always kinda wanted one.

ZMM wrote:
    But I also have a thing for the tape-deck stylings of this badboy. Look at that flowchart. Sega-Master-System-Set.jpg
    Yess i very much like that, tasty beveling and flowcharts are indeed win.

Not keen on the Xbox One, PS4 is not bad but really I'd like it in these colours -
    sony-gaystation-ps4.jpg
    Beautiful. (Though I'd remove the heart)
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Not enough rainbows and flowers in modern gadget designs.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If you want a rainbow stripe then the Atari 7800 is right up your street. This is a nice retro console - backwards compatible with the 2600 - pity it is RF out only though..

Atari7800face.png
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • So this isn't a console I guess but I wish I was around at the time for one of these -

ZXSpectrum48k.jpg
  • 7800 is a much better design than the 2600 jr. that I have, if only for having the controller ports on the front. Always hated that with the VCS/2600 models.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The ZX Speccy was nice but that doesn't really paint the whole picture. Having a tape deck connected takes away from its looks. Imo the Amstrad CPC 464 was the looker of the 8Bit computers, everything built in and some nice colour coded keys to boot:
    cpc464a.jpg
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Lies, and to emphasise that lie here is a massive C64 image in all its lovely beige brown-ness. We need more brown consoles I think
    Commodore-64-Computer.png
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • These are fucking ugly, get some eyes people.
  • This is just turning into a list of every games machine ever made.
  • Wikipedia_gameboy_micro.jpg
    Just to return the thread to sanity.
  • I like the chunkiness of the C64, those colours are tough on the eye though. 

Toshiba MSX would be my preference visually from that era, but even it isn't really a looker. It's just a little more designed for the home.

uiIopw1.jpg
  • The Gameboy Micro does win, Nintendo probably had the best shot considering the multiple colours and models of everything they make.
  • We need to tally up the votes. I want charts; pie, bar, scatterplot, area - the lot!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • monkey wrote:
    Colecovision_System_zpse99844f2.jpg

I like how it looks like it has been dug out of the ground.
  • The ZX Speccy was nice but that doesn't really paint the whole picture. Having a tape deck connected takes away from its looks. Imo the Amstrad CPC 464 was the looker of the 8Bit computers, everything built in and some nice colour coded keys to boot:
    cpc464a.jpg

The speccy +2 is prettier than that I would wager

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!