Move over 2007, it's 2015.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    And the escape from the PoPo through the woods bit is one of the most cinematic levels I've played in games. No words of lies.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don't know about the whole plot, I gave up on it pretty quickly.

Come to think of it, the other thing that really bugged me about it was the way the torch acted. I couldn't get over how weird it was to be running around and having your torch moving in your hand but always having the beam focused in the same place. I just found myself staring at this one spot in the middle of the screen constantly.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    and don't have pieces of a novel scattered around the levels for you to find.
    H
    The thing under the lake is using his writing to fabricate the entire plot and what's happening to Wake. You can interpret it as Wake subconsciously seeing the threads of his own work and "knowing" what's going to happen next. In terms of horror it was a great tool since it was a dread trouser filler. Reading that you're about to encounter a chainsaw maniac, then hearing a chainsaw rev up, was surprisingly scary.

My problem with this was that fair chunks were off the beaten path. It's bit like going to see an action film, and being told that if you want some more exposition you can hunt around for it in the foyer. Be an action game!!
  • I think we all knew from the name "Alan Wake" what level of writing to expect.

God knows when No Man's Sky is going to drop. I don't think they've even targeted a year but the end of 2015 seems like a fair bet. Those guys have got thousands of robots working for them.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • I wonder if they'll be tempted to fluff up the story mode.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Hope not, no need.
  • There were a lot of people disappointed at the lack of a proper campaign. They'll probably have figures on how many sales that cost them vs how much it'd cost to make one.

CoD seemed to have a good thing going. The campaign was just a bunch of MP maps laid end to end with ex EastEnders actors shouting at you. I remember being blown away with the level of detail in areas that I blasted thru in 10 minutes. All the line of sight work seemed overkill until I played MP and it all made sense.
  • Alan Wake was awesome. Loved it.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    and don't have pieces of a novel scattered around the levels for you to find.
    The thing under the lake is using his writing to fabricate the entire plot and what's happening to Wake. You can interpret it as Wake subconsciously seeing the threads of his own work and "knowing" what's going to happen next. In terms of horror it was a great tool since it was a dread trouser filler. Reading that you're about to encounter a chainsaw maniac, then hearing a chainsaw rev up, was surprisingly scary.

And of course LAKE rhymes with WAKE such an obvious giveaway so clever plot.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's almost as clever as The Matrix's "is that person who's name is an anagram of 'one' The One?"
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    And WAKE's adventure is like a ripple or a WAKE going across the surface of a body of water like a LAKE and #euphoriacrywank
  • Yossarian wrote:
    It's almost as clever as The Matrix's "is that person who's name is an anagram of 'one' The One?"

oen?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I've got a mate called that but he spells it with a W.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    oen?

Noe.
  • And it means new. HE'S THE NEW ONE OMG. For an action movie though it's good. Like Vanquish having a story based on Candide while slowmo rocket sliding under a giant robot spider's legs and shooting it in the balls. It's the best possible shooter.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It is a great action film.

Do you know Kung fu?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    It's the best possible shooter.

Even better than Gears.
  • God I love The Matrix.

"Ju Jitsu? I'm going to learn...Ju Jitsu?"
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    IanHamlett wrote:
    It's the best possible shooter.

Even better than Gears.
    That was a Candide reference but there's also a good chance it's true.

I wonder if Namco are going to cash in on inventing the cover shooter and reboot Killswitch.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Vanquish probably never getting a sequel is a proper tragedy of last gen. Mainly for never getting to experiment with co-op or competitive game modes.
  • There was so much growing room. It's not like Advance Wars where any sequel would be like drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa. A boost jump could've been added to the rocket slide without breaking anything and added a boatload of possibilities to combat and level design. Coop could've been Full Spectrum Rocket Pants Warrior. Online could've been like Burnout Paradise challenges but with guns.
  • No Destiny? Surely a mistake!
  • That's the end of this year.
  • Isn't the new Rainbow 6 out next year? Could also be great.
  • You're right, it could be, I'll add it to OP. I hadn't put the interesting looking destructible house game together with the name Rainbow 6.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Vanquish probably never getting a sequel is a proper tragedy of last gen. Mainly for never getting to experiment with co-op or competitive game modes.

Totally agree vanquish has stunningly good combat.
  • Vela wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Like a sixth former overreaching themselves in an attempt at gravitas.
    You could be describing 90% of all games' stories with that line.

Agreed.  Most game plots would get laughed out of sixth form lessons, at least Alan Wake would get a grade.  As fan service to the kind of page turners that never set the world alight in the first place, I thought it worked. Plus: Roy Orbison.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It was fan service to Stephen King from what I saw of it, but compared to AW, King looks like Shakespeare.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Like a sixth former overreaching themselves in an attempt at gravitas.
    You could be describing 90% of all games' stories with that line.
    Agreed.  Most game plots would get laughed out of sixth form lessons, at least Alan Wake would get a grade.  As fan service to the kind of page turners that never set the world alight in the first place, I thought it worked. Plus: Roy Orbison.

I'm not too qualified to comment on Alan Wake's story since I didnt finish it. It seemed alright though from what little I played.

Personally I like the stories that are implied rather than told. There is a history in a game world itself when it forms a reason for the quest. Something like the vast emptiness of Shadow of The Colossus plains; or the layered textures and emergence within Rez. Or even just the atmosphere in the (now quaint in size) world of Ocarina.

When a game goes into heavy exposition (Metal Gear Solid 4 post Act 3, Halo 2 and the Gravemind) it really loses any sense of potential about what the world is/was/could be, and instead becomes an exercise in which non-sequitur story threads the writers have attempted to poorly tie up nice and neat.

I don't know about anyone else, but I felt distinctly dirty and let down after revelations about how Big Boss never died/nanomachines did everything/David Bowie Major Tom was the villain in a wheelchair. The more you learn about a game the less mystery remains and that almost invariably leads to disappointment. The same goes for Halo. Midway through Halo 2, it wasn't any longer about some immensely ancient death arrays in a failed military tactic from a mysterious long-gone alien race; it was instead about a religious insurrection and power plays from deluded antagonists who really should know better. No subtlety.

There was a better story in Mario Galaxy ffs and that was just riffing off The Little Prince.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    A bolted-on narrative kills the emergent possibilities which, as I've stated on numerous occasions, is the real strength of the medium.  Doesn't mean it can't be entertaining, but it doesn't advance us any.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!