Bye Bye Edge There are probably threads already....
  • Edge should maybe go that route. Be the first, quality, lifestyle/games mag.
    They can't compete with getting news out before the internet anyway so no real reason to be monthly anymore. I would like a games heavy lifestyle mag that printed on good paper, commissioned artists and designers, gave decent writers a fair whack at a game post release to write an in depth piece with the writers name at the bottom but no score. Guest editors, regular pieces from diferent people actually in the development industry, perhaps diaries or retrospectives.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I knew you'd bring it up so I was half on my way to not mentioning it, but it's pertinent for the cover/design front.
    It upsets me that it's seen as a bastion for film writing
  • Little White Lies isn't monthly.
  • Edge should maybe go that route. Be the first, quality, lifestyle/games mag. They can't compete with getting news out before the internet anyway so no real reason to be monthly anymore. I would like a games heavy lifestyle mag that printed on good paper, commissioned artists and designers, gave decent writers are fair whack at a game post release to write an in depth piece with the writers name at the bottom but no score. Guest editors, regular pieces from diferent people actually in the development industry, perhaps diaries or retrospectives.

It should, but Future will never take it that way, as they've proven again and again they have very few interesting things to say or do with their roster beyond trying to make money. Someone else should try it, but they know online is the best place for it. What you're describing is basically what Polygon wanted to be.

Little White Lies isn't monthly.

You're right, I just couldn't recall what it's publication schedule was, so wasn't going to guess.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    I knew you'd bring it up so I was half on my way to not mentioning it, but it's pertinent for the cover/design front.

What's better?
  • YouTube is the best medium for quality games journalism.
  • For the most part, fuck video.
  • @Tempy

You're not wrong on any of those points, just seems a shame.

On a regular I end up in "cool" London design studios. They always have a stack of magazines in reception. Loads of lifestyle stuff, Mixmag, NME, Empire, 3D World, pretty much any design medium except games.
  • Think London is a bit of a closed loop for mags though, there's probably thousands that live and die there without ever gracing a sub outside of NSEW

Edit: hang on I misread that. 

Yeah, there's definitely a niche. I just don't see it getting filled any time soon, seeing as folk in Games journalism are probably too poor to band together to invest.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Tempy wrote:

What's better?

By miles and stretches, Sight and Sound
    Edit - it's upsetting the shit that gets by in LWL - No editorial control, in the last issue (Crimson Peak) they had three sentences that weren't sentences and a their- there mix up. They're a cool zine looking thing that have never had quality control on their writing as no one has ever told them to reign it in. It's kind of embarrassing from a film criticism perspective
    Their three mark system for reviewing is hopelessly IGN esque
  • Tempy wrote:
    Think London is a bit of a closed loop for mags though, there's probably thousands that live and die there without ever gracing a sub outside of NSEW.
    Well, maybe get some poncey design studios up North then. Do I have to think of everything?
  • For the most part, fuck video.

Still pictures and text are the way to go?
  • Tempy wrote:
    Think London is a bit of a closed loop for mags though, there's probably thousands that live and die there without ever gracing a sub outside of NSEW.
    Well, maybe get some poncey design studios up North then. Do I have to think of everything?

Yes, now can you think of an essay title for me, cheers.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Tempy wrote:

Yes, now can you think of an essay title for me, cheers.

Why is Scotland so fucking lazy? To what degree does that impact glossy Video Games journalism?
  • Tempy wrote:
    Little White Lies isn't monthly.
    You're right, I just couldn't recall what it's publication schedule was, so wasn't going to guess.

Every other month I think.
  • I might get a Juxtapoz sub.
    Eighty quid though.
  • WorKid wrote:
    For the most part, fuck video.

I much prefer text. I can take it in at my own pace. I don't have to listen to someones annoying voice either with it.
  • I'd love to get subs to some neat magazines, but it's too much cash from my budget for stuff that can be found online. I imagine that's many people's thoughts, but if I had a decent job it'd change pretty sharp. I'd also chuck a bunch of money at patreon for people on youtube that I like. A fuck tonne of effort goes into video content, and I wonder how the future shapes up for them. If it wasn't for the ease of ripping content, I wouldn't be surprised if an online magazine that's a mix of text, audio and video came about soon.
  • I have a Sub for 3D World and 3D Artist. Both on the company account, worth it for the free resource and most of the magazine remains relevant long after print date.

That's what appeals with Juxtapoz, could happily have a shelf full of them for years.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Video content. Get with the times Backwards Dante.

• Yeah the GF has had a few big mags like that, Oh Comely and stuff. They look neat, but take up space. She's selling 20 issues of Little White Lies, because as much as she'd like to keep going back to them every so often, and as beautiful as they look, she hasn't the space.
  • Yeah space is the other issue.
    May just pick up the specials.
    Got my Dad Juxtapoz Car Culture for Xmas. Will have a thumb through before wrapping it :D
  • It'd be cool if there was a London Review of Video Games.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Video content. Get with the times Backwards Dante.

They say don't judge a book by it's cover. But I have no issue with judging YouTube video's by their preview stills.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    For the most part, fuck video.
    I much prefer text. I can take it in at my own pace. I don't have to listen to someones annoying voice either with it.
    I concur.
  • I think we've got a little time to go before games can sustain a periodical style publication, because so much of the readership is concerned with wanting to know stuff about the RIGHT DAMN NOW so they know whether they wasted their money on a pre-order or not. Also the theory side of things needs to be a bit more robust too I feel, so audiences can confidently move past believing they are just a product.

Funnily enough plenty of youtube channels are really good at doing considered analysis of games that aren't brand new, because the patreon model supports it well.
  • sephiroth sword
    sephiroths' sword
    NARPAS sword.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Only magazine I buy is Viz these days, and if I need summat to read on the shitter I'll grab the occasional Empire/Total Film/442.
  • Only magazine I buy is Viz these days, and if I need summat to read on the shitter I'll grab the occasional Empire/Total Film/442.

I reckon you'd like When Saturday Comes.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I do, I'd add that to the shitter list sometimes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!