Bloodborne
  • Moved on to Maria who was also tough. Got fed up with that so went back and did Mergo. 3rd attempt for that after the gimmicky phase killed me the first two times.

Now to decide whether to forget the dlc and finish the game or persevere with the non fun dlc bosses.
  • Suitably motivated I killed Laurence on 2nd attempt. Difference this time was having saw cleaver +10 (instead of +9). And I think I was lucky with the 2nd phase (or stood in better locations to bait specific moves).
  • Did you call Maria not fun? She’s the best bloody boss ever!
  • I'm not sure about Maria yet. My current thoughts are that her tracking is a bit unfair. Some attacks don't have it but most do. Even if I dodge behind or to the side and a bit behind, I can get some contact, leaving me vulnerable to further combo attacks. Couple that with her ability to hit you from anywhere in the area and it's a bit much.

I'm also not a fan of enemies that use guns - but she doesn't use hers that much.

This fight is relying a lot more on recognising the few frames of animation to read the attack. And my brain isn't that fast, plus the From game engine isn't exactly at twitch reaction standard.

First phase is ok but the second is where I am stuck at the moment. Doesn't help with more stuff being drawn on screen to confuse my brain even more.

tbh, I didn't think I'd even get this far so I'm reasonably happy with progress.

Ludwig was ok. Again more sky jumping (why From?) - but two different timed ones for the lols.
    Laurence was rubbish - 1st form was challenging but 2nd form was just annoying.
    Living Failures - why even bother?
    Maria - not decided yet. Fun but see above.

Bosses in this game are either hard with lots of confusing parts and effects flailing around so you are not sure what's really going on, really easy, or have gimmicky stuff that's tricky to deal with for bosses that would otherwise be boring and easy.

Martyr has been the best boss for me - apart from the obligatory jump in the sky to break lock on shenanigans.
  • Living Failures were appropriately named. Think the devs knew what they were rolling out there.

Maria fight is awesome though. Once you get her timing down it becomes an increasingly frenetic and visually striking dance macabre. She's very parry-able too, iirc.
  • I read that so I had a few attempts with the gun just to see. I got her into a parry loop of 3 or 4 hits to get to second phase at one point.

But I'd rather do melee only. I've not used the gun so far - I'd probably move on instead of using it.
  • Never managed to parry Maia, but it was good to have a proper excuse to rock the Cainhurst set.

In my skill build playthrough I've just saved Eileen in the graveyard and realized that in doing so I've delayed my getting the Blade of Mercy... Now I need to decide whether to kill her because apparently otherwise I've got to kill a bastard of an NPC.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I've decided to do axe spin to win exclusively with Maria. Been close a few times.

We all know about stored rolls and turn based combat with From games but as an example with Maria - I just dodged towards her, she hit me with a combo of three attack and I flinched with each attack animation - then I dodged after that. I wasn't spamming dodge, just pressed it once. I might have pressed dodge a frame or so late but why the dodge after the sequence of attacks? Lol From games.
  • And dead. (only had two vials for the fight and used them both)

Not a fan - a) my reactions aren't quick enough; and b) From game engine isn't a twitch reaction game.

Less tracking would make this the best boss so far.

Of course, I could git-gud'er.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Got to SoY, died on first go and have no clue how to get back there. I keep running around in circles.

Also had a very stressful moment where I was running back to the elevator to go to the lamp, I had 31k echoes that I wanted to cash in. My character just kept running, over the bridge and into the woods, in stead of turning right to the house. Thought I accidently clicked auto run, but turns out my controller died. Luckily my character stopped not too far from where the actual enemies where, so I was able to gain control and get my extras level up.
    Very stressful area this, a lot has happened in the last 1,5 hour.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    And dead. (only had two vials for the fight and used them both) Not a fan - a) my reactions aren't quick enough; and b) From game engine isn't a twitch reaction game. Less tracking would make this the best boss so far. Of course, I could git-gud'er.

It's been a while but i remember Maria being one of those bosses that looks way more flashy than she actually is, so don't be intimidated, get stuck in, be aggressive! Sure there are certain moves you definitely wanna dodge, but face-tanking worked for me way-back-when.
  • Nina wrote:
    Got to SoY, died on first go and have no clue how to get back there. I keep running around in circles.

I hated this level - it's probably my least favourite boss run as well. It's been a while but I think this video shows the route I took - fortunately the boss isn't too bad. Oh, and make sure to reset the elevators each run.

https://youtu.be/YH-AJnI3BYQ
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I still haven't done the dlc if this. Or at least I tried briefly when it first came out, had a bit good build, and repeatedly got killed by the horse dude. But yeah will give this a go on PS5 at some point, new build, another frame rate, fingers crossed...
  • ... maybe even  a 1440p @ 120fps mode; well a hunter can dream. I'd be very excite with just 60fps.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah ps5 is still 30fps right?
  • Consistent 30fps would be nice.

I don't think PS5 is any different - some people claim it's smoother but most comments say there is no improvement. I can see there being less stutter when it loads new segments due to the faster hard drive but the game engine being the same.

edit: and by game engine I mean inconsistent frame rate/pacing.
  • Yup, still 30fps. The fact that DKSIII and Sekiro both have 60fps modes, while running on very similar game-engines, gives me hope though.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Nina wrote:

I hated this level - it's probably my least favourite boss run as well. It's been a while but I think this video shows the route I took - fortunately the boss isn't too bad. Oh, and make sure to reset the elevators each run.

https://youtu.be/YH-AJnI3BYQ
    I'll probably give that a look soon. Am pretty close to my next level so gonna grind a bit close to the lamp.

There's also two more things I can grab that are not the standard items I think (grapefruit l headpiece and rune) but even with a drawn map from the wiki I don't fully understand where to get l go.

I think the level is beautiful, it's just a shame it's full with poison spewing enemies.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Couple questions though, you mentioned the Tonitrus earlier Time, and I got that to +3. I'm debating upgrading it further with twin blood shards. It should be useful against the SoY boss here, but will it be useful in the future as well? I don't really see what the L1 button changes for this weapon, just charges or with bolt?

And why resetting the elevators? There's levers next to them.

Still hunting the Graveguard headpiece (not grapefruit) but I can't seem to find it. No matter where I drop down, I'm always near the blue boys.
  • I upgraded the Tonitrus to +6 because I had lots of shards. I didn't use it that much but it was certainly effective against things that don't like bolt damage.

L1 is a short term bolt boost, and can be used during a combo as an attack.

Durability is low so it wears out quickly.
  • Nina wrote:
    Couple questions though, you mentioned the Tonitrus earlier Time, and I got that to +3. I'm debating upgrading it further with twin blood shards. It should be useful against the SoY boss here, but will it be useful in the future as well? I don't really see what the L1 button changes for this weapon, just charges or with bolt?

And why resetting the elevators? There's levers next to them.

Still hunting the Graveguard headpiece (not grapefruit) but I can't seem to find it. No matter where I drop down, I'm always near the blue boys.

There are a few nasty bosses and enemies that are vulnerable to bolt. The brainsucker guys, and Rom, certainly.

Re the elevators, it just speeds up the run back to the boss. I always exit an elevator by running over the button to send it back, so when I'm killed I don't need to waste time pulling the lever and waiting for the reset.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hm, I might upgrade it then. I'm not a big fan (for now) on using insight for bolt/fire papers as I prefer to spend it on attire sets.
    Have 30+ twin blood shards after the woods, so plenty for 2 extra weapons I think. Cleaver and Holy Blade are at +6 already. Not really sure if the guns are worth upgrading further than +3, some people said it's not useful if you're not putting numbers in bloodtinge.

Found my items I was hunting for this morning. So will check SoY next time I'll play. Gained two levels since last time I think, so not that bad.

After that it's time to take a look east of the Cathedral with an item I got from someone in the woods, and check out the other side of the poison lake. I know where that shortcut leads to, but I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to handle that.

Finding the woods beautiful and very atmospheric, but I'm happy to leave them behind. The area with the snake heads is impossible to navigate (although it racks up echoes quite quickly still). Thinking the snake heads are giant tarantula's isn't really helping.
  • Just searched for spin to win and found this:

It's Lobos killing all bosses by only using the r2 charged attack with the axe.  Maria is at 03:03:10. Lobos took more healing than me. Ha.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    SoY dead. Third try, I still feel overpowered but who cares.

Question about the area east of the Grand Cathedral.
    Spoiler:
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I've also unlocked the shortcut to
    Spoiler:

So that means I have three options to explore next time
    Spoiler:

Any reason why I should prioritize one of those / leave them for later? Probably gonna check out the area in my first spoiler first, as I know that should give me access to another area, the C. Castle one that keeps being mentioned in the load screen texts.
  • First spoiler is also where you can get one of the items you need for True Last Boss, yeah?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Do not kill Iosefka as you lose one of the 'third umbilical cord' - like I did. But the invite to Cainhurst is there.

I don't think it matters which of the other 2 you do although the latter is the normal story progression route.

edit: looks like I did next story boss, visited the lecture building, went to cainhurst and killed boss, then returned to lecture building to kill the boss, then continued with story
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    First spoiler is also where you can get one of the items you need for True Last Boss, yeah?
    Didn't know that, and I don't want to happen what happened to mrsmr2. Will read up on it a bit. Although I'm scared of going after the True Last Boss.

B said the Lecture Building was an area most people found the scariest, so I'm really not sure what to do with that. Thought there's been plenty of scary / tense stuff already.

Patiently waiting for the sun to rotate enough so I can see again. Morning sessions are always a bit bleached out thanks to indirect sunlight, so didn't want to explore more this morning. Looking forward to going back in.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!