Project Spark
  • It's not a relevant thing to say at all, I'm just waffling in a slow thread.

Unless I'm mistaken, you don't, for instance, call the cells of a 2D tile map pixels, was where I'm coming from.

Ed: and this isn't a good enough discussion in any way for me to bother going back to quote Gunn.
  • Well, a pixel is usually a 4 dimensional array, a texture is a 2 dimensional array of 4 dimensional arrays. A voxel grid is a data structure that you can develop how you wish, just to know it represents a 3 dimensional array of voxels (which can themselves be classes, structs or take your pick of terminology) which can contain all sorts of information but i guess the obvious ones would be their position and bounds

Minecraft uses a voxelised data structure, as it's a 3D entity, its a volume structure containing the position and bounds(bounds would be constant i'd imagine) of the cubes. Unless you really need all the structure's cube meshes separated, it would confound me and cause huge performance issues (Overdraw particularly) whereas it's elementary to weld placed boxes vertices together into one large object (Or several large objects for easy culling) and information about these equally partitioned elements stored in a voxel array (which is a 3D array, yes, but of structs or classes particular to the needs of that voxel system) but the word for a 3 dimensional array of homogeonous 3D volumes based in 3D space is a voxel structure)

There's no standard for what a voxel can be though, its kind of abstract, position and bounds would be obvious elements but like in minecraft you could store all sorts of information, like its texture, is it water and so on

Sorry for the rant (And the Minecraft explanation is half common sense guesswork) but I wanted to clear it up

Carry on!
  • After dabbling a bit more today, I'm now wondering who this title is aimed at. It's far more complicated than I realised, especially when you're looking into the "brain" of characters.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Complicated or complete? I mean, is it hard to understand?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    It's aimed at all levels really. If you just want to edit a shooter with your own graphics, levels etc you can do it. If you simply want to play others games, you can do that.

If you want to learn how to use it you can nick brains from other users and see how they work. Or you can design something from scratch once you've gotten better at the Code.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Can I import my brainwaves and live forever as a Fable character?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I thought we'd already been through this?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Have we? Am I immortal yet?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    10 print "Yes"
    20 goto 10
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Your code sucks so your games will be shit. Project Spunk.
  • It just seems very complicated, even just to make a specific item spawn in a chest, for example.
    I haven't seen anything of its marketing so I've no idea where it's going but if its nearest rival is LittleBigPlanet (probably the only other title like it) then it won't capture the same market.
    Also, an awful lot of materials are locked behind paywalls so it's not a particularly big beta unless you're willing to drop money on it, which I'm not at this point.

That said, there's still a lot of potential and with extra content (there's a lot of "coming soon" messages) it could be fantastic. I just don't see it being a massive success due to its complexity.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The complexity will give it legs though, and there will be plenty of nutters out there who will invest the time to create things LBP couldn't even dream of.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yeh, you really can't compare this and LBP.
  • Is this a bit like that visual game making thing that came out on the xbox 360?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    What are you on about Gunn?
  • The complexity will give it legs though, and there will be plenty of nutters out there who will invest the time to create things LBP couldn't even dream of.
    Those are in the minority though, which is why I don't see this being a massive commercial success.
    There are some genuinely talented folk on the beta already, I just don't see the average gamer putting the time in to build much.

Come to think of it, how exactly is this being marketed? Most people don't even know it exists, let alone what it is.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The average gamer won't, but it's nice that there's something out there like it. I'll put some time in with it for sure, I already have been. I made a few things on Kodu on 360 and this is similar, albeit much more accomplished.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You don't have to create stuff yourself though, you can just play what others create.

It's also free innit?
  • Sorry, I'm coming across as more negative than intended. I think it's great and there's massive potential here, especially when the full content becomes available, and general gamers can just enjoy whatever people create (at least for a set time, if they haven't bought the necessary content. Something that really should be removed).
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I know, was winding you up :)
  • Haha, i'm starting to get used to it, but a civil answer always makes sense! Is this thing quite a lot more complicated then?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    It's similar but there's loads more programming options and more depth. The terrain editor is great in itself just to make cool environments.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Chief wrote:
    It just seems very complicated, even just to make a specific item spawn in a chest, for example.
    I haven't seen anything of its marketing so I've no idea where it's going but if its nearest rival is LittleBigPlanet (probably the only other title like it) then it won't capture the same market.
    Also, an awful lot of materials are locked behind paywalls so it's not a particularly big beta unless you're willing to drop money on it, which I'm not at this point.

That said, there's still a lot of potential and with extra content (there's a lot of "coming soon" messages) it could be fantastic. I just don't see it being a massive success due to its complexity.

I think it should be obvious you played lbp. You did tho? Tho. Did you play Kodu, or whatever it was called? I mean, can you imagne programming lbp in Spark?

"Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Is this still a thing?
  • Yes you can buy it in tesco.
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • FranticPea wrote:
    KINECT IN OTHER USE THAN VOICE COMMANDS SHOCKER. I had a play with the kinect functionality last night too. It works really well for capturing animations for your avatar. I managed to map 'A' to make a character on screen do a head nod that I had captured myself doing on kinect.
    That's really cool.

You're really cool.

Might have to pick this up.
  • Had a dabble. It's good fun. Made a couple of small test maps for 3d platformers so far.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Still haven't gone back since the beta. How many assets are included for free?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!