PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ahem
  • You must have known someone pretty high up at Sega to be playing Sonic on an 8 bit system.

Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Sonic Chaos on master system weren't that exclusive. Spinball was another.

Unless Sega was managed out of video game volt in Hobart, I didn't know any Sega executives. But given how Sega and video game volt both collapsed in about 2001 its possible there was a link...
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Finally finished this last week.  It passed under the radar a bit, probably because it was a poorly timed sequel and an initially deflating use of Retro Studios' talents/time, but it's the best in the DKC series, imo, and probably the best traditional avoid-the-holes 2D platformer for years.  Far better than the Rayman games for me, certainly much better as a co-op experience, and it pips the NSMB games because of the vehicle sections.  Quality game.

Went back to this this evening to collect the 'KONG' letters and unlock the secret levels. Done the first 3 worlds for us so far so we'll have plenty to do the next time we do some couch co-op.

Absolutely excellent game!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Definitely the best minecart levels in any game.  Closely followed by Dark Savior.
  • Been unlocking the extra levels in this with @retroking1981.  Predictably, they're hugely difficult.  The Wii version, iirc, had just the one extra bastard hard hidden level, but this has one for each world (three if you count A & B ).  Cracking game.

Also done a couple of levels of the 3DS version (thanks mattyj!).  Looks lovely on the smaller screen.  Three hearts for DK and an extra three if you pick up Diddy though, I'm gonna piss it (I'm probably not tbh).
  • Yeah it really is superb, although each and every time we play it there's always a few minutes of 'what button does what'.

In fact that's the only real gripe I have, basically you can only choose between two control options; one for analog and the other for D-Pad. Problem is it chances the buttons around too.

I use D-Pad and moot uses analog (weirdo) and each time one asks the other how to perform a certain action we inevitably give the wrong answer.

Why can't you change between D-Pad/analog on the fly? So odd.

Also why I'm on a rant every single game (and I mean every single one) should have complete customisable controls ala Street Fighter II. You want Y as the strong punch - no problem. You want up on the D-Pad to make Mario jump for some odd reason - no problem.

Why don't games offer this? Wouldn't hurt at all and surely wouldn't be difficult to implement?

Anyway back on topic, DKC Tropical Freeze is brilliant, looking forward to the next session.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It is superb. I've played the first 2 world's, but now it's in my wiiu pile-o-shame (and anticipation) while I work through Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2 and MK8 (after all golds and 3*'s). Looking forward to coming back to it in good time.
  • I've just ordered this. Took a bit of finding but John Lewis sorted me out in the end.it seems to be a rather limited run in true Nintendo fashion and all my regular spots had sold out.  I should have cleared captain toad by the time it arrives too so technically my backlog isn't getting any larger!
  • Its in my local Sainsbury's overtime I go by...i'm really tempted by it, but I still have the first game on the Wii to do first.
  • Finally finished this properly, didn't get all the jigsaw pieces but that stats say 100% done and that's the main thing.  We unlocked a hard mode - lol.  Tempted to do a full review of this, for those on the fence, as I think it's in with a shout for the accolade of best traditional 2D platformer of all time.  A few games it's better than: Donkey Kong Country Returns.  Yoshi's Island.  Sonic & Knuckles + Sonic 3.  Rayman Legends.  Plok.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Agree with Moot. It got totally overlooked, but it's an absolute delight.

I only hope Retro aren't shackled into another - I'd rather a trip with Ridley.
  • Better than Yoshis Island? That's taking things a bit too far isn't it? I can see it being better than the rest you mentioned.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • In terms of pure platforming, as in 'can I get from A to B without dying?', the only game that touches it is Meat Boy.  There's a lot more on offer in Yoshi's Island, but - in recent years particularly - I've become very keen on the  perfection-through-repetition type of jump 'em ups.  You know that sensation you get towards the end of a Zelda game, where you feel like master and commander of your trinkets, and the final dungeon folds beneath your one-step-ahead puzzle solving awesomeness?  DKCTF has that, but even when it throws the kitchen sink at you your accumulated coping skills enable you to swat it aside with total skillage *blows trumpet*.

I agree with Reg about Retro Studios, two quite similar games is enough for now, but I'd love to see an all-new 3DS entry before the next handheld arrives.
  • Yeah I don't know about being better than YI mate, but that is possibly my favourite platformer ever so thats not taking anything away from it.

I agree that its up there though, probably in my top 5 and definitely the best DK game. A must for platform fans.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Does it still not have a run button? That kept annoying me about DKCR which I must say I never really warmed to... what makes this so much better, just the level design, or something more fundamental?
  • @Moot: fair enough. In which case it's not better than YI per se because it's a different sub genre to YI?

Mario games mostly (including SMW2: YI) aren't about just getting from A to B, which is what makes them so great.
  • @hylian_elf did you enjoy the SNES DKC games?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Only played the first one. Not really.
  • The OG was a bit overrated in hindsight, it was solid and the graphics were obviously pleasing to most but there wasn't much to it really.

2 on the SNES was excellent and the pinnacle of the series up until possibly the Wii one, but Tropical Freeze blows both out the water, there's more to it in terms of secret exits, collectables etc.

If it was its simplicity and lack of extras that you didn't like about the OG then definitely pick up TF. If however it was the feel/physics then give it a miss because this plays very similar.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Does it still not have a run button?
    It does, but only if you select dpad controls, maybe? - @retroking1981.  There was mild confusion over the controls as we kept chopping and changing until we both decided on dpad controls (we tackled the extra silly levels in single player).
    hylian_elf wrote:
    @Moot: fair enough. In which case it's not better than YI per se because it's a different sub genre to YI? Mario games mostly (including SMW2: YI) aren't about just getting from A to B, which is what makes them so great.

It's a 'better' game for my tastes - as in I prefer it - so I'd have to stick to my original statement, but if I were to compile a head-not-the-heart top 100 of all time list I'd place Yoshi's Island higher.  As Retro said it's up there either way, which makes it superior to a hell of a lot of great games.  I'm happy for them to hold hands over the finish line.
  • Thanks both. Sounds like I should give it a try. I'll see if I can find it for a chalice.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Does it still not have a run button?
    It does, but only if you select dpad controls, maybe? - @retroking1981

Yeah, analog controls use analog for real if that makes sense. Push a little to walk, all the way to run.

D-Pad uses traditional hold a button to run controls.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Ill second a recommendation for this. Ignore the 7's the press gave it, its brilliant. Awesome soundtrack as well.
  • Someone sell it to me for a chalice.
  • This is one of the only games in recent years that inspired me to attain 100% completion. Which says a lot about it. Achieving that did involve a lot of hair pulling and anger but it was worth it.
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • Those mine cart stages.  They pop up in one or two other games over the years, but the DKC:TF ones are the best.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Someone sell it to me for a chalice.

You can borrow the 3DS port of the Wii one if you like, it's not quite as good, but definitely a good way to find out if you get on with the interia/layout etc.
  • If it's a taste of what the Wii U one is like then I'll take you up on the offer. I can meet you near Moorgate, right?
  • Anyone know the cheapest place to pick up a copy of this? The places I frequent are all over £30...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!