Lessons from the past
  • Ha. I was just about to say that considering the Dreamcast's often considered a failure, it's rather impressive that you never meet anyone who regrets owning one. And then adkm posted.

The only games device i regret buying was the DS. As for games I regret swapping Lemmings, Rolo to the Rescue and James Pond 2 for Lillehammer Winter Olympics.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    As usual, he's the black sheep. Whether he says these things on purpose is another story entirely.

Every single person i know, still owns their Dreamcast, because it's just perfect, and Sega at their best; not hardware wise, just games, games, games!
  • I don't think it's a particularly controversial stance. If it wasn't for Soul Caliber i might have regretted it too.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I remember buying my DC more vividly than any console since. Jap import, 2 pads, Soul Calibur and Powerstone.

Now that was a treat!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    A mate of mine lent me £200 so I could get one as I didn't have enough till payday.
  • I had a CD32.  If I'd paid for it myself I may well regret it.

I have to say I regret not trading-in games.  I have never traded a game in my life but when I think of the money I could have saved over the years I feel a bit stupid. 

The reason is that I know that at some point I'll be in a mood for sci-fi/westerns/fantasy etc and will want another run through of Vanquish/Red Dead/Skyrim etc.  The frustration of knowing I had it but now don't would be unbearable.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not too many people diss the Dreamcast despite its shortcomings. The default controller is pretty awful, the weird decision of a proprietory drive tech, the resetting problem, and hordes of no-frills arcade ports means it should probably get more criticism than it does. I love it though.

Its oddness is probably the very thing that people love. The VMU with its miniscule memory for example - offset by lovelies like the gorgeous arcade stick and the VGA adaptor mean it is quite unique.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The resetting issue is a bugger, but it's also an incredibly simple fix that anyone can do with a few bits and pieces you likely have lying around the house.
  • I really shouldn't join in a conversation about the Dreamcast..... :D
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • This is making me want to hook up my dream cast again.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I too dislike the Dreamcast, except for the fighting games and Sega Bass Fishing. Anything that used the DC controller can fuck right off though.

Saturn was their finest console.
  • This is making me want to hook up my dream cast again.

Do it!
  • I thought the Dreamcast was a bit bobbins as well, but probably because I didn't get into it enough. I liked Shenmue.
  • The Saturn was a genuinely great console, yes, and it was the one I intended buying until a couple of games made my eyes turn towards the PlayStation.

Curtis, you say you think I do this deliberately, but to be honest I'd lump the Dreamcast in with things like the game in your avatar; that weird list of shite that for some inexplicable reason it's supposed to be cool to like.  I could just as easily say that I don't believe that you really, honestly like them, and see how you feel about that.
  • SEGA Bass Fishing
    Soul Calibur
    Powerstone
    Chu Chu Rocket
    Rez
    Samba de Amigo
    Crazy Taxi
    Shenmue
    Skies of Arcadia
    MSR
    Jet Set Radio
    Virtua Tennis
    F355 Challenge
    Phantasy Star Online
    Toy Commander
    Seaman
    Space Channel 5

That's off the top of my head.

That's a software library of originality and diversity, that most consoles would die for.
  • There's not much there that didn't appear on other consoles.  Rez and Virtua Tennis are the only games on that list I would want to play, and I have them both on superior consoles.
  • I was going to post something similar. And that's ignoring all the superb games that didn't come to the Dreamcast!

Adkm and I are evidently kindred spirits, as I also thought Journey was boring. You can wander in the sand and look at rocks outside, the graphics are better, and I have arms.
  • Did the Cane & Rinse podcast on Proteus make you as angry as it made me, then?!
  • I haven't listened to that yet, lack of a commute has cut my podcasting time down.... I bet it will, though.
  • I'd go all the way back to October 2013 and tell the Toonstock lads not to play Goldeneye on the N64 - some things are better left buried.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Bewildering in its awfulness.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    There's not much there that didn't appear on other consoles.  Rez and Virtua Tennis are the only games on that list I would want to play, and I have them both on superior consoles.

Those only appeared on other consoles because Sega got out of the hardware business. Plus, if you don't like Jet Set Radio (original or Future), you have no soul.
  • Well, we already know that from his comments about Journey.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Seriously, someone bump the Journey thread and tell me what the heck I'm meant to be missing?  I don't get it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I too dislike the Dreamcast, except for the fighting games and Sega Bass Fishing. Anything that used the DC controller can fuck right off though.

Saturn was their finest console.

Bangai O on DC is one of the few that makes excellent use of the controller. Agreed re Saturn.

Also - Typing of the Dead, Cannon Spike and Super Magnetic Neo.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • @elm: Dunno, it's fun. Like other games. I'm not entirely sure what needs explaining. I understand the whole "no fail state" thing that some people rabbit on about, but that's just one thing and it doesn't bother me personally. It's just like playing a game that is really easy and you easily complete whitout dying/failing. A fail state is there, but do you really notice it? And if you don't, why is it any different to a game with no fail state?

Comment about adkm was in jest. If people don't like a game, they don't like a game. That doesn't make it categorical rubbish, which is what some seem to suggest about Journey.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I just didn't get Journey.  You walk through the sand.  Some stuff appears, but you can't interact with it, just look at it and go "oh."  Something else is on the horizon but it takes ages to get anywhere, so you turn it off.

Now I did enjoy Flower, so I don't believe I have no soul, but Journey's just a bit crap.
  • Journey isn't fun. Two brief bits are. The rest is shit. JSR is fucking awful.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    No soul at all.
  • JSR hasnee aged well. Controls, mainly.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!