adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    UK anime distributor Manga is being rebranded as Funimation after being aquired by Funimation a couple of years ago. I don't think I've bought any of their releases in years but kinda weird to think Manga's vanishing.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Their montage is forever etched into my brain with that music.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • RIP Manga. A brand as old as time.

In watching/reading news: Finished Chainsaw Man. Really good, refreshingly absurd but with an internal consistency that I am a big fan on. Weirdly touching as it went on, great conclusion that made perfect sense. Interested to see what comes with the second story section.

Also started watching Golden Kamuy after being recommended the manga a early days, but the premise is intriguing and the mix of comedy and action is good!
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Their montage is forever etched into my brain with that music.

Yeah it really is, fuck.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Their montage is forever etched into my brain with that music.

• EvilRedEye wrote:
    UK anime distributor Manga is being rebranded as Funimation after being aquired by Funimation a couple of years ago. I don't think I've bought any of their releases in years but kinda weird to think Manga's vanishing.

What's happening?

• Oh no, it turns out Golden Kamuy is perfect, and I am in love with every single character. Helps that the plot is novel compared to a lot anime, but oof, it's so good. Violent, funny, heartwarming, thrilling, can't sing it's praises high enough. It has that Metal Gear Solid style obsession with military guff - the way people hold rifles in specific ways, load them, dismantle them, and an encyclopaedic knowledge of the time period, the ways of the Ainu people, and all the food they eat.

Also it's fucking dumb fun, easy on the eyes. Amazing how it swaps between cerebral stuff and utter nonsense at the flip of a page, but it's incredibly compelling. 

728?cb=20160917221426
    647?cb=20160919184615

100 percent this is the kind of show I can recommend to anyone, without caveats, it's jus that good.
  • I got through 3 episodes and stopped back in January. I can't remember why but I really didn't like it.

Gonna revisit and see if I change my mind.
  • It might be the awful CGI for the bears. It is awful.
  • Ha! I don't remember the bears being particularly bad but I tend not to mind that stuff so much.

It might have been the treatment of the animals that did it for me but I can't really remember precisely why. Lot of hunting in there.
  • Yeah there is a lot of hunting and violence, but at the same time that's kind of part of the deal. Can understand it's not ideal for vegetarian or vegan folk. I think the reason it doesn't bother me so much (even though I am a part time meat eater) is that the Ainu aren't mass farming, or indiscriminate slaughterers. There's an episode later on when some Ainu hunt a whale, and sure some of the characters are excited to be out on the boats, but it's observing the historical reality of hunting. That said, if it's not something you can stomach, it's understandable why you'd not be a fan. Neither the anime or the manga shy away from the reality of violence.
  • I'll give it another watch as you make it sound great and I really want to be here for a historicaly set anime. Maybe watching it in the middle of the night with a baby on my shoulder was not the move.

I started watching the Shaman King remake and I think Shaman King might actually be a bit crap? I loved the old dub back in the early 2000s but I imagine it might always have been a bit poo.

2 episodes in and Manta/Morty needs to chill the fuck out. Don't remember him being so high strung and annoying.

The old english theme is still a banger tho. I'll always have that.

• EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I signed up for Crunchyroll a couple of weeks ago, will give Golden Kamuy a go.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Give it... 3 or 4 eps I’d say. I really like it! Otherwise Crunchyroll has a lot of good stuff on it now: Jujutsu Kaisen, HxH, all of JoJo, Haikyuu, etc
  • The power of the tank top is infinite
  • Is anyone watching Yasuke on Netflix about a black Samurai? It's fucking awesome.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Godzilla: Singular Point is good clean fun and didn't waste my time. I throw some amount of weight behind it.
    I think if you got on with Summer Wars you'd get on with this.
  • Nodding, I do want to watch that.

Excited to see this pop up yesterday!

• Ah that'll be fun.

I signed up for the shonen jump app last month. Had no idea it was a thing but its ridiculous value at 1.99 a month. Chainsaw Man is just one of the things I've read on it. Absolutely rinsed all 100 chapters.
  • I’ve never heard of Chainsaw man but now I need it in my life.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Chainsaw man indeed looks good. Can't wait for B to get back to the office so I can spend my time watching anime again without anyone questioning what I'm doing.

Started the 3rd issue of Berserk. Library only has the first 10 issues I think, so have to see how I'll handle the rest. It's incredibly raw, but I like it. First time I liked a fairy as well, usually they're just annoying but there's something about bug that makes it cool.
  • After ages i finally finished watching revolutionary girl utena. It’s been so long that the show has moved onto Funimation after I bought it off Google. 

Overall I think I liked the concept but I’m not sure I liked the execution. The extremely repetitive nature is really tiring. Also for a show so metaphorical I’m not sure they should be allowed to be coy about the more dangerous topics. I don’t mind allegory but I think for it to work the interactions should be planer or easier to follow. 

The story itself feels like t was hodgepodged together and everything after the first series feels like it comes from a different set of ideas. But I think once the show gets its shit together actually there’s some cool ideas inside it. In particular I get the sense of this from watching the film which does that repeat of evangelism thing of consolidation and refining and slightly twisting. It’s a good filter and the film is really good fun and is bolder and more explicit in a way that makes it better by a number of times.
  • The movie was way more successful, agreed. People should just try that.
  • Not that I need to own this movie a fourth time… but the 4K box set of Akira is available on zavvi for about £25 at the mo:

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/akira-limited-edition-4k-ultra-hd-includes-2d-blu-ray/12711453.html

Just enter MANGA40 at checkout for 40% off.

There’s also a disc replacement service with funimation to get the HDR version of the film to replace the SDR version that comes in the box apparently.
  • Akira on Netflix at the moment. Showed it to my 9 and 7 Yr old. Got told off.
  • Haha oh yeah and it’s on Netflix… I was quite a bit older when I saw it and the scene with Tetsuo in the lab properly freaked me out. I think I was about 13 or 14?

I know it’s a bit of a chopped up version of the original books but I still think it’s excellent.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    On Netflix eh? Haven't watched it an age. I had it on DVD an age ago. Fell to a clearout knowing I'd get it on BluRay at some point. Might give it a view tonight. Is it dubbed or subtitled?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Akira on Netflix at the moment. Showed it to my 9 and 7 Yr old. Got told off.
    There is a rape iirc and it’s over rated
    The Forum Herald™
  • A member of the rival biker gang rips the T-shirt off Kaori (Tetsuo’s friend/love interest). You see breasts. But there’s no rape.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Watched it on the bbc2 premier, would've been 10 or 11. Taped it, showed it to my best mate at the time. I was just getting into mangas at the time, Doomed Megalopolis before this I think. Akira blew my little mind, I thought Christ these are different to the cartoons we have over here.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!