Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • He looks like what Face Off would actually look like putting Travolta's face on Cage's skull.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The lighting will make a huge difference - I wouldn't put too much stock in that picture.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Agreed its an off set pap pic
    PSN - minkymu
  • 32. X
    This was fun. Was good to see it with an audience as I think that was the intended environment. Maybe a bit too slow to get to the money shots but it had a lot of fun with all the things it was doing.
    [7]

Webbins should like it
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’ve loved a few of Ti West’s films, so I’m looking forward to X.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yeah he's made some great stuff. I'd say this is going less for scary than his other stuff and more for slasher fun times.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yeah, I get that from the trailer. His slow burns are great, though. Love The House of the Devil and The Innkeepers in particular.
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I stand by The Sacrament being his best.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Ooh I don’t think I’ve actually seen that one.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Scratch that. Just watched the trailer. I have seen it. It was okay.
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Watched it again recently, held up very well. I find The Inkeepers ridiculously slow on rewatches. House of the Devil is still solid.

Wrong Turn 2 is actually okay. Looking forward to X, anyway.
  • 32. X
    This was fun. Was good to see it with an audience as I think that was the intended environment. Maybe a bit too slow to get to the money shots but it had a lot of fun with all the things it was doing.
    [7]

Webbins should like it

Aye Shabs, I've bookmarked a cinema visit for it. Got some time to kill next week so might go then.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I need to watch his previous stuff I've missed, including House of the Devil because I'm a chump.
    He did the best ep of the Scream tv show too. Was actually scary
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    All My Friends Hate Me (2022)

What an absolute banger, total surprise. Lad from up North goes back down South for a reunion/birthday with his old posho mates. Really loved that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    West Side Story is the oscar winner 2022.

I can be 82 years old if it helps, but the spectacle is the best movie I've seen.
  • I turned it off after half an hour.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Don't see the point in remaking something like that. Sure, the racial inequality of the original will grate but I still don't see the point.   But then there have been many remakes of late that have been pointless.

Stage musical revivals - yes - but films of them? No thanks.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Flicking about on Fire Stick last night and came across a selection of early Hammer films, including a couple of Quatermass b&w films.

The Quatermass Xperiment is a yarn about a rocket mission that returns with 2 of the 3 crew missing with one in shock who gradually turns into some sort of creature that can absorb any living thing and take on its characteristics. 

Ludicrous hokum that just about hangs together because the script doesn't rely on hokey old standard tales. In ways it's a bit ahead of its time , it being a very early albeit primitive take on the idea in The Thing

The lead - classic US "that guy" Brian Dunlevy - playing an ascerbic, brusque Quatermass grates with me when put against other versions of the character I've seen. There's fun support from the effortless Jack Warner playing the no nonsense cop.  

It's always fun spotting other British actors like Lionel Jeffries, Gordon Jackson and even a cameo from a young Thora Hird playing a homeless drunk. :)

It's well made and I enjoyed it enough to have a look at the sequel, but this isn't a patch on the late 60s version of Quatermass and the Pit.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Did anyone else watch the live transmitted version of The Quartermass Experiment that was on BBC4 a while back? I don't have much memory of it now other than there being a trend for live transmitted anniversary editions of long-running programmes around that time which presumably inspired it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Didn't hear about that. Would have been up for it.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Maybe it will come back on iPlayer at some point. Last shown one early morning in 2008 apparently. I don't remember it being amazing but certainly an ambitious attempt at live dramatic broadcasting...
  • Studio 666

As rock band vanity projects go this was quite entertaining.
    It wasn't a good movie but it was plenty of fun.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Quatermass II is the followup to Quatermass Xperiment, made a year earlier. The same lead but the support cast is different - but filled with a pile of Brit support actors again, including Sid James! :)

The story is actually very good - you cannot fault the scope and ambition here. The effects are used sparingly and designed and implemented within the limitations of the time which makes them quite effective. It's a variation on the invasion theme (which runs through all the Quatermass stories) but it's well done and the film is well made.

Great fun for fans of early scifi and Hammer.
  • Nightmare Alley
    Del Toro’s remake of a ’40s noir. It’s a stylish but tired fable that could have used some semblance of interior lives for its supporting characters. At least it’s pretty, I guess.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    31. Lady Vengeance
    It’s been a while since I’ve seen Mr Vengeance and Old Boy but this felt noticeably weaker. There were still enough surprises and great moments to lift it but think it sagged a bit in the middle. That final section though… absolutely devastating at points, what a finish. [7]

32. The New Girlfriend
    An interesting drama about sexuality but despite two strong central performances, the film doesn’t really work. It seems unsure where it’s going at times and some of the themes are handled in a very clumsy way. The ending was probably the worst part, glad it was over. [4]
  • West Side Story.
    The Spielberg version. This is possibly the most technically accomplished film I've ever seen and yet...  It felt oddly hollow.  Like when your favourite song is covered by a band with a better singer, a better producer, and a whole symphony orchestra, but you can't help but feel its lost its soul somewhere along the line.

The changes are generally all very smart, the performances range from excellent (Ariana DeBose) to fine (Ansel Elgort), and the music will forever be astonishing.  But it's maybe too perfect, too manufactured, to ever really carry the emotional sting that it should. 

I still maintain that one day, what I really want to see, is the whole thing from Anita's point of view - though I fear that would be too devastating a film to bear. (Forget Tony and Maria, hers is the truly tragic story.)

Nightmare Alley

What Pop said really - dripping with style, but no real substance. I leant over to my wife and predicted the ending 5 minutes into the film, because yes, I'm that sort of arsehole, but also the tale is that familiar.  I think I expected Del Toro to have done more with the assembled freaks and geeks of the circus than he did.

Pain & Glory

An unusually subdued, controlled Almodovar movie. You can't help but assume that it is at least partly autobiographical - a film about a director looking back on his childhood and career. There's little plot to speak of, it's more a character study and a love letter to film and filmmaking.  If you're now expecting "Almodovar's 8 1/2" - it's not quite that either.

It's not a classic (I think I prefer it when Almodovar's showing off) but it's tender, and beautiful, and Banderas is absolutely incredible.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Elysium  Enjoyable scifi yarn based around the old elite/downtrodden storyline that's been around since Metropolis that requires the brain to be disengaged somewhat despite having someone like Jodie Foster on board. 

Slick entertainment and credit is due to the design of the world and the old bashed up tech on Earth. A satisfying baddie to take down too.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    23. Split - 6

An average M.Night movie, saved by a stellar performance from McAvoy. There is an amazing close-up scene where McAvoy doesn’t say a word but is responding to a character off screen, but the camera never leaves his face as he transforms from one character to another. Should absolutely be taught in acting classes. And the spoiler? 
    Spoiler:

24. Murder on The Orient Express - 7

Great cast, with Branagh being on top form and clearly having fun. But it just doesn’t feel enough of a movie. For me it was the lack of scale of the train, it seemed too small. It could be historically accurate but there appeared to be nowhere for the staff to live and the drama came to standstill as the train did.

25. The Martian - 9

With a weekend of showing my sister films she’d never watch I started with this new classic. Still great, but I was starting to fade at the end. Think I’ve seen it too many times in too short a space of time. Will be several years before I watch it again.

26. Dr. Strange - 9

Just below GoTG and Infinity War for me. And it’s all due to Cumberbatch. If you don’t like his shtick then nothing here will change your mind, but I find his films eminently watchable. And we had to watch to setup the next film.

27. Spider-Man: No Way Home - 7

After hoping this would come to Disney+, and realising it wouldn’t due to Sony, I forked out full RRP for it. Slightly regretting that now as we are definitely in diminishing returns with these films. Taken on it’s own it was ok, but compared to it’s own predecessors and the broader MCU and it falls flat. Great post-credits scene though.
  • davyK wrote:
    Elysium  Enjoyable scifi yarn based around the old elite/downtrodden storyline that's been around since Metropolis that requires the brain to be disengaged somewhat despite having someone like Jodie Foster on board. 

Slick entertainment and credit is due to the design of the world and the old bashed up tech on Earth. A satisfying baddie to take down too.

I loved this film. Even with Matt Damon

PSN - minkymu
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Perhaps I've just missed it but McAvoy deserves serious credit for Split. Incredible performance.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!