Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Have to say the whole thing didn't bother me. I read it as an obvious take on the sexist Bond of old. Perhaps the issue lies more with who it is directing rather than the specific scene.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Aye, and that's fair enough. But it's that specific scene that keeps getting a mention and it makes no sense
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Agreed
  • I didn’t mention that scene, Sparkles. You did. Maybe Wookie did too?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I didn't say you did?
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Have to say the whole thing didn't bother me. I read it as an obvious take on the sexist Bond of old. Perhaps the issue lies more with who it is directing rather than the specific scene.
    . Agreed

PSN - minkymu
  • I didn't say you did?

All good. Just crossed wires.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    No harm done.

Is that a saying down there too?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I didn't say you did?

All good. Just crossed wires.

Absolutely no fucking need for that mind
  • I had to double take that before I figured it out. This place has me doing puns without even knowing I’m doing them. Fuck me.
  • So this was a thing....https://youtu.be/_JbrHliFclU
    PSN - minkymu
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    No harm done.

Is that a saying down there too?

I think I heard it in the office.
  • 28. The Adam Project
    Family friendly time travel shenanigans with Ryan Reynolds and Mark Ruffalo. Like a lot of Netflix movies it's not quite as good as it could have been, but it coasts along on the charm of the leads and the banter between Reynolds and his younger self. What it is, is a perfectly serviceable Sunday afternoon action romp and there's nothing wrong with that. 7
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Im getting Reynolds fatigue
    PSN - minkymu
  • Minkymu wrote:
    Im getting Reynolds fatigue

Yeah, that's a thing. I like him, but there's only so much that I can take. He needs a career left turn and to do something different other than sarcastic action hero.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Minkymu wrote:
    Im getting Reynolds fatigue

Yeah, that's a thing. I like him, but there's only so much that I can take. He needs a career left turn and to do something different other than sarcastic action hero.

Big time
    PSN - minkymu
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just watched Tarksovsky's Mirror.

Not as challenging as I thought it would be as it's an engaging work. It jumps around in time and sometimes it's confusing who is who at some times but I suppose that's what rewatches are for. Beautiful looking film - some scenes could be framed and hung on the wall.

I recognised some faces from Solaris.  :)  The use of same cast members in >1 role adds a bit to the confusion and the bonkers way Russians give everyone multiple names. But hey ho.

Not going to say much more at this point apart from it seems to be autobiographical in nature and I enjoyed it even though I didn't entirely understand what is going on.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    26. The Constant Gardener
    A rather odd experience. The first half hour or so was a blur that seemed intentionally difficult to penetrate. The plot eventually picks up but is largely understated to the point I barely felt invested. The whole thing isn’t helped by being filmed as if it was Taken - lots of shaky cam and fast cuts, even when it’s just two people talking in a room. Very jarring. [4]
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    27. The Adam Project
    Pretty much agree with Grem. An enjoyable, fast paced adventure with plenty of laughs. It doesn’t try too hard to explain any of the time travel elements, rightly so given the type of film, but there’s a bit of nonsense and sub plots that get dropped along the way. The de-aged Catherine Keener at the end looked absolute garbage too. Still, Reynolds and his younger version make the film and most of the other action looks great. [7]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's bleak. Then there's Bela Tarr's The Turin Horse

This film is relentless. His last film and I worry about the man's state of mind to come up with this vision of sheer hopelessness and never ending grind with only oblivion as an end.

Jesus. If anyone isn't feeling good, then stay well away from this. 

Beautifully made of course. It's Bela Tarr. But dear me. One for the fans only. After watching this I watched the trailer - it's almost comedic it's so depressing, its only redeeming feature being its brevity - unlike the film clocking in at 2'30''.
  • In contrast to Davy:

27. Happy Gilmore
    Still great even when you know the whole thing. Especially sat watched with a group of mates. Best thing Sandler ever did? Probably.
    [8]
  • Not seen any Bela Tarr.  Would love to.  Damnation, Satatango, and Turin Horse on my list.  Any others I should add?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • In contrast to Davy:

27. Happy Gilmore
    Still great even when you know the whole thing. Especially sat watched with a group of mates. Best thing Sandler ever did? Probably.
    [8]

Yes!

"Just tap it in."

"You eat shit for breakfast?!"

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Not seen any Bela Tarr.  Would love to.  Damnation, Satatango, and Turin Horse on my list.  Any others I should add?

Werckmeister Harmonies is superb. Can't vouch for Damnation.

Satantango runs over 7 hrs but it has 2 natural breaks. I've watched it twice - each time over 3 nights. Criterion don't do Tarr sadly. Artificial Eye do the DVDs and BluRays and their transfers look good to me.  Not sure if he is streamable.

There is a quality to his work that keeps me watching even though very little is happening and is set in bleak landscapes. First one I watched was Satantango for 2 reasons. First - 7hrs? That alone picqued my interest. Then I saw a scene from the film on YT set in a pub with drunken customers dancing and fucking about with a repetitive tune playing over and over. It just went on and on and on - but I was spellbound.  His films should be boring but they aren't. I can't describe why. They are not pretentious which is one reason - they are accessible which sounds counter intuitive. B&W - lots of rain, wind , mud, desolate fields, rags and shacks. Long lingering shots, repetitive music when there is music. But I keep watching. There's humour in places though it's spartan in Turin Horse - I swear that the bloody horse is acting - even it looks sad.

I'd start with Werkmeister Harmonies though. It's short - "only" 2'25''. It's in my 2021 list.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The Adam Project - 4

Starts strong with Reynolds and the kid being great but the rest of the cast literally dialled it in. Ruffalo appeared to be hungover or on drugs. As has been said the de-aging is terrible. It’s biggest crime is it’s not funny enough, fun enough and despite not being that longer felt like a longer film. Bit of a disappointing stinker really.
  • The Devil Wears Prada
    If I’m channel surfing and this film is on, I always watch it right through to the end. I can think of no higher compliment.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Have to say it’s a cracking guilty pleasure and you can tell Streep just loved the role.
  • 17. Wall Street
    Greed is good and so is this movie.
    Forgot about some stars that appear including James Spader and Terrance Stamp.
    Top 80s stuff.
    [8]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!