Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • 15. Parasite
    Bong Joon Ho's superb social satire is funny, tragic and shocking in equal measure. It's also gorgeous to look at, the entire cast is amazing and the soundtrack brilliant. I can see why it won the Oscar. 10
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I keep meaning to watch that and then feel that I can't be bothered for some reason. Need to check it out.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It's very good, the hype is justified.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I watched sexy beast again the other night. It's free on all 4 at the moment. Ben Kingsley is incredible.

Ready Player one is on the BBC iPlayer aswell if anyone hasn't seen it. Well worth your time.
  • Love Sexy Beast. Might have to give it another watch.
  • Cupatay wrote:

Ready Player one is on the BBC iPlayer aswell if anyone hasn't seen it. Well worth your time.

It's it though? Really?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That was my thought too.
  • I guess it depends on how much you like watching absolute rubbish.
  • Ha maybe not then.

I realy enjoyed it, good bit of escapism with a video game theme. Felt like a Spielberg, was it Spielberg? It was , I just googled it.

Maybe the nostalgia and pop culture did it for me, I dunno. I'd happily watch it if it was on TV.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No desire to rewatch Ready player 1.

I'd like to confirm if I saw a Battletoad during the big fight scene and the big guys 3 way face off would be fun to see again but that's it.

I considered it to be a complete load of bollocks apart from some nice references to the likes of my beloved Asteroids. And yes , spotting the references is fun but that's a one time thing really.
  • I really hated the way the main character avatars looked. This wasn't helped when they were surrounded by basically every iconic piece of design in media of the past 50 or so years.
  • I quite enjoyed it, not something I'd watch twice but it felt like a three star movie rather than a turd.
  • We use the race scene as one of several clips to demo our cinema rooms at work, so there is that.
  • 9. Avengers Endgame - 28/1
    Whilst I don’t enjoy this as much as Infinity War, it’s just such an impressive feat of filmmaking that they managed to pull together over 10 years of cinema - and what, over 20 movies? - into one cohesive and coherent finale. Bravo.
    [8]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    9. Avengers Endgame - 28/1
    Whilst I don’t enjoy this as much as Infinity War, it’s just such an impressive feat of filmmaking that they managed to pull together over 10 years of cinema - and what, over 20 movies? - into one cohesive and coherent finale. Bravo.
    [8]

It's truly a modern masterpiece of storytelling to finish all those storylines off in such a beautiful way.

Loved every second of it and it still makes me cry tears of joy and sorrow
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    We use the race scene as one of several clips to demo our cinema rooms at work, so there is that.

The race scene is great, a reminder that Spielberg can still put together an action sequence even if it's all CGI. The sound design in it is so tight too
  • Yeah the sound was unreal when we ran it on a residential cinema we installed in London. Honestly felt more like a Universal Studios ride than watching a movie at home.
  • 16. Grosse Pointe Blank
    Hadn't seen this for about 15 years but it's still as great as I remember it being. 9
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Equaliser There isn't anyone quite like Washington as a bad ass. He brings something unique to it and he is convincing when it comes to action and he must have quite a few years on the clock now.

I've seen several clips of this on YT but it didn't spoil the fun. The is a solid action film with a straightforward plot with a very good bad guy lead and a good old satisfying conclusion.

Splendid entertainment.
  • Cupatay wrote:
    I watched sexy beast again the other night. It's free on all 4 at the moment. Ben Kingsley is incredible

I love that film. Ben Kingsleys character makes your skin crawl, the rage takes your breath and gives you the nervous laughs.

U think i enjoyed it more due to the fact i grew up friends with someone very similar, you have to watch this with other peoole whove gone in cold.

My friend though? He would put everyone on edge and was prone to outbursts of pretty extreme violence.

Deans favourite thing was to kick off at someone verbally in the pub and then to intimidate them by holding onto the blokes hand after he has offered it to shake to apologise. Then he would say very calmly ' i think this is escalating.... it is isnt it?' Then head butt them, bite the face, glasss them, you name it really. Makes me cringe thinking about it.

Sexy beast reminds me of that cunt.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Well he sounds like a charming fella.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Well he sounds like a charming fella.

Yeah not a nice chap. Even as a friend he made you nervous.

That film just reminds me of the uncomfortable feeling of being around him and you ending uo in dodgy situations because of him.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Gremill wrote:
    16. Grosse Pointe Blank Hadn't seen this for about 15 years but it's still as great as I remember it being. 9

Good to know! Been planning to revisit it myself
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Minkymu wrote:
    Well he sounds like a charming fella.
    Yeah not a nice chap. Even as a friend he made you nervous. That film just reminds me of the uncomfortable feeling of being around him and you ending uo in dodgy situations because of him.

Not the sort of friend to stay with as you age.  They eventually end up trying it on the wrong person.

One of the advantages of drinking in Belfast in the 80s and 90s was that the city centre and most city centre pubs were considered neutral ground. Psychos tended to stay where they were known. Those that didn't fell to Darwinism.
  • Minkymu wrote:
    Well he sounds like a charming fella.

Yeah not a nice chap. Even as a friend he made you nervous.

That film just reminds me of the uncomfortable feeling of being around him and you ending uo in dodgy situations because of him.

Jesus, he sounds like a nightmare. I'd throw a D'bo gif up if I knew how. There's always the odd one nutter acquaintance or mate. Where abouts in Brum were you Minky? I'm from Wolves but worked all over Birmingham for nearly 10 years.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    16. Grosse Pointe Blank Hadn't seen this for about 15 years but it's still as great as I remember it being. 9
    Good to know! Been planning to revisit it myself

Should rewatch GPB too. Cusack in that and High Fidelity is just endlessly watchable.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @Cos knows. Both great films. Watched HF recently and it’s still brilliant. Must rewatch GPB.
  • I watched HF this week, it's aged well. I find Cusacks character kind of unlikable to be honest but he plays it brilliantly. I'll never get bored of HF.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Recorded Carpenter's Vampires last night. Is it worth a watch?
  • I also watched School of Rock again. It's such a wonderful movie. Jack Blacks an absolute star.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!