Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • Webbins wrote:
    Shudder keeps on giving, Shabs!

Tis a great service for deep cuts. I find Amazon Prime has some random horror stuff too.

I loved Eternals. Thought it was great. Maybe seeing it at IMAX helped. I liked that it didn't follow the typical formula and that it was shot on real locations and so felt pretty grounded but then also had some awesome big sci fi imagery. Plus I found Kumail and his assistant very funny.

But hey ho, different strokes for different folks.

It certainly made spider man look a lot worse when I saw it. It's forgotten how bland and flat green screen films look because of the way they have to light it.
  • nick_md wrote:
    The sound of the balls hitting each other, hitting the back of the pocket then sinking into the net, the hushed tones of the commentators. Game. Of. Kings.
    Ea7-HJZXQAEcs-CL.jpg
    Gamertag: gremill
  • EjHaGvc.gif
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Caught the end of the Wilson win. Enjoyed it. I miss the occasional frame, haven't played since the pre-times. Might need to line something up.
    I dislike Kyren Wilson not because of his absurd, made up first name, but because he always looks like he's about to burst into tears.

I don't like Ratty either.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 6. The Eternals
    Well it is done and to quote a line from the movie "at last my boredom is ending".
    When it trying to fill 7000 years of exposition into an hour of movie in a somehow incredibly boring manner The Eternals is asking us to care about characters we don't know. Many, many characters are introduced , no doubt going through their own shit but when we met them 2 minutes ago and in such abundance it is very hard to care.
    Drab looking for 99%of the movie. Fortunately there is 1% prettiness that at least makes those sections tolerable.
    I watched every Marvel movie across about 6 weeks last year. There are two or three of them that fall short but retain some elements of fun, a good action scene or some funny dialogue.
    By contrast Marvel have massively dropped the ball on this one.
    Superhero movies can be many things, what they should never, ever be is boring.

The cg characters in fight scenes look terrible, I'm guessing this is due to challenges with placing them in real world locations, not filming on green screen isn't necessarily a good thing.
    There are some passable action scenes (despite the CG people) but we are 13 years into the Marvel project now, I have seen spandex people doing all this stuff plenty of times before with much more creativity and engagement.

I'm struggling to score this one because I just don't care. Its not really the worst film ever made but expectations going in do matter.
    A point for the pretty exposition CG scene. Another because it isn't a total mess.
    Doesn't even have the decency to be funny bad though.
    [2]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ghostbusters Afterlife  Saw this in the cinema which usually helps any film....but.....I liked this. There's faults that one could list, but fuck that. I enjoyed myself. Ghostbusters was lightning in a bottle but it was no masterpiece and the YT review slagathons by man-children are, I have now decided, not worth a bucket of cold spit.

It could be accused of being quite like the Disney Star Wars relaunch being like a pseudo remake or sorts but frankly, it didn't bother me. Too many kids? Didn't bother me as they weren't annoying.
    Spoiler:

A lot of notes that could be accused of being lazy "remember this" moments. But again - don't care. I enjoyed them even if they are pretty contrived at time.

The action was well done.
    Spoiler:

Only loophole that kind of niggles was
    Spoiler:
    But fuck that noise. This isn't a brilliant film but it was pure enjoyment and to hell with the knockers. Ghostbusters is a great IP that was never fully taken advantage of in my opinion....but I hope this is the end of it. What a pity this didn't happen 20 years ago.
    Spoiler:
  • Have I woken up in bizarro world today?

Also, maybe spoiler the bulk of your write up Davy. Some peeps might not want to know some of those things
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    oops. done.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    13. The Eternals

Fair write up on Eternals Liv. Just finished the second half tonight. It’s all so very average and the key is that you just don’t care about any of the characters. The only one I found mildly interesting was the deaf Flash girl, probably because she didn’t have crappy dialogue. And the Bollywood star, but even his attempts at humour fall far shorter than pretty much any other Marvel movie.

And for the post credit teasers, we can tell we are now in the real comic geek era, as I didn’t have a clue who any of em are, so it’s not like I’m intrigued to find out more.

What The Eternals would be is a cracking video game. Pick an Eternal fighting through time, lots of different settings, time zones etc. could have different stories for each one. Could be fun.

Back to the film because it is just so average [5]
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    One of the people in the post-credits scenes was

Spoiler:

So plenty of people who are much younger than us would have known, and been very impressed by the appearance of, the actor at least. The role is a bit secondary to that.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I thought it was but thought it just couldn’t be. Fuck me. He’s done well eh.
  • And the off-camera voice in the other post-credits scene was
    Spoiler:

I know the post-credits scenes are meant to be the most ‘geek service’ parts of the films, but both of these are all about introducing characters nobody’s heard of. You’d have to be really into comics to have the faintest clue.
  • They were the most interesting parts of the movie and I hadn't heard of either.
    Both had 100x the character and intrigue in those 30 seconds clips than over 2.5 hours of the Eternals.
  • poprock wrote:
    Spoiler:

I think that's a great choice.  Really looking forward to that!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I liked the
    Spoiler:

But not the
    Spoiler:
  • It was cool but also reminded me of gravy skin.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    It was cool but also reminded me of gravy skin.

I hear Gravy Skin is in the frame to play a key role in the next Iron Man film.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • See? Another character I’ve never heard of and don’t give a shit about. FFS Marvel.
  • 9. Last Night in Soho
    At first I thought the terrible, unsubtle writing was on purpose and would lead to something but no it was just bad writing. Also, a couple of creepy moments but a lot that seemed like they were meant to be but they really weren't... Disappointing.
    [3]
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I've already bashed it plenty but it's one of those films that was so shit it made me angry.
  • Ghostbusters: Afterlife

I know you lot were quite harsh on this but I absolutely adored it.

It felt like it was made for me, the Ghostbusters superfan.
    I'm the guy who grew up with the movie, watched the cartoon series religiously, knew every word from the film (still do!), ran around with my friend with a replica toy proton pack.
    The first film was the first dvd I ever bought. Ive seen it more than any other movie.
    As I type this I'm genuinely wearing a Ghostbusters pj top. I'm a 36 year old man in Ghostbusters jammies.

This was great. Made me so happy
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    9. Last Night in Soho
    At first I thought the terrible, unsubtle writing was on purpose and would lead to something but no it was just bad writing. Also, a couple of creepy moments but a lot that seemed like they were meant to be but they really weren't... Disappointing.
    [3]

Almost like Edgar Wright is a bad director.
  • The Protege
    Samuel L Jackson will appear in any old shit these days, eh? Bottom-tier hitman/revenge thriller with few thrills and, for some reason, Michael Keaton.
  • 2. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - 15/1
    The only books my 11yo daughter read on her own. Borrowing the boxset and watching them all with the kids (although 8yo probably will get scared by some bits).
    Never read the books (didn't last more than a few pages of the first one) and only seen this movie once many years ago. No real desire to do so. Anyway...
    I found it dull and shit before and still find it dull and shit although it sows the seeds for some interesting stuff. I guess I should cut some slack here, they're just little kids, but my daughter and I found the acting so over the top and dramatic at times.
    [5]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Best of Enemies
    One of those worthy liberal films about how racist things used to be, which I really shouldn't bother watching. In this case there are some rather obvious parallels to today's 'culture wars' and the message seems to be that oppressed minorities should sit down with people who hate them and want to kill them and the strengths of their arguments will somehow find a way, or some shit like that. I also didn't think much of the Oscar bait performances, nor was I convinced by the transformation in the main character from being a big racist to not being a big racist.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    9. Last Night in Soho
    [3]

Almost like Edgar Wright is a bad director.

Ah yes, I activated the Reg-signal.

I like his earlier stuff but he definitely needs someone to write his films for him

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!