• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Super Monkey Ball - Gamecube

Bit of an obvious one maybe but I love this game. It was a reason to get a Gamecube and I'd argue is still the best thing that came out on it (and that gen for my tastes).

The main game requires no buttons - just a steady hand. And the GC controller with its octagonal grooves are a perfect match - so much so that PS2 and Oldbox versions had some levels tamed to deal with the lesser control.

It looks and sounds gorgeous - Sega in all their pomp with their trademark Sonic green grass and sparkly blue sky in the early levels.

The game could have been done just with simple balls to roll around but the genius of Sega means the whimsy of monkeys in hamster balls, implemented with panache and charm elevates the game and adds to the entertainment value while at the same time offering some slight variation in handling.

The 4 characters on offer really do make a difference - trying some of the earlier levels with fatboy GonGon can be pretty tough. The main game on its own is pretty much flawless and doesn't require any changes. Sequels added jumps and switches which just sullied the purity of the game for me.

The main game on GC also offers 4 player simultaneous racing AND a turn based option - replete with enough settings to mix things up and add a bit of variety.

It unlocks levels at a beautiful pace - and of course it also unlocks the mini games and party games.

Each game takes the basic concept and warps it into a different genre with sufficient variety that anyone will find something they like. Each game could have been expanded into full titles themselves , and in some cases, almost already are apart from the absence of more tracks and levels. Monkey racing is a decent stand in for Mario Kart for example, only hampered by the relatively small number of tracks - but with single race, GP and TT modes it feels like a full featured game. All of these games offer a decent bit of fun in single player but are a riot when played with 2 or more - as they are designed to be.

Its abstract design means it has kept its looks as its aged and its longevity also extends to the entertainment it can still offer.

The presentation is head and shoulders above anything around at the time - from the high score entry table and the full featured replay support (which the hardcore use to full effect in showing off their mastery of the game) to the end credit sequence incorporating a mini game of its own, it is implemented with the highest degree of polish achieved by few others. The whole package remains a high tide mark in sheer unadulterated enjoyment and I love it.

The arcade original features a banana shaped joystick and its cabinet would look great alongside the other 3 perfect games I have mentioned in this thread in my fantasy arcade setup.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah, MB was great. The sequels lacked the linearity that made the first so good. 60 fps and it really needed to be. An outstanding game.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Here here. All hail Super Monkey Ball and the octopad for controlling it. A marriage made in heaven.
  • Where where?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Did you get Portal davyk? If not the entire Valve pack has 90% off just now, so you get their entire catalogue for £9.27.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/232/Valve_Complete_Pack/
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not yet - have been viewing a lot of youtubery about it though.

Might go for that pack - I spotted a Portal boardgame in my local Forbidden Planet - it comes with a voucher for Portal 2. Not cheap though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Downloaded the free trial from XBL arcade for my 360. It's as good as I thought it would be. I love it. I may just buy the original game though for now.  I seem to be able to handle the twin stick control (once I inverted the aiming mechanism).
  • On the page before - lovely write up. I think you’re the only person I know who might appreciate and love Tetris as much as I do. Only game which I think you left out which deserved credit imo is Tetris DS which was actually pretty decent and had some nice game modes.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK wrote:
    Downloaded the free trial from XBL arcade for my 360. It's as good as I thought it would be. I love it. I may just buy the original game though for now.  I seem to be able to handle the twin stick control (once I inverted the aiming mechanism).

Yeah, Portal is perfect for twin stick noobs because there's no pressure to kill anything.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Only game which I think you left out which deserved credit imo is Tetris DS which was actually pretty decent and had some nice game modes.
    I don't have (or played) as many Tetris games as Davy, but this has to be my favourite. The online mode was what did it for me. Loved that.

Bought the 3DS Tetris but that one's just horrible (it's by Ubisoft) and I never understood how they could mess it up. The first annoyance is that it takes too long to load up. Than you are presented with way too many menu options, goals and achievements. It never felt like Tetris to me.

Recently bought Tetris Worlds on the GBA and while that is better it's still no Tetris DS. It's simpler in its presentation, but I think they did something with the graphics that made it feel off. Maybe the blocks didn't have lines? I'd need to check it again, only played it on the micro but might need to test it on a bigger screen.

(edit, just saw that Deluxe Party is also on DS, gonna go after it)
  • Delux party is ok but the well and tetrominoes look visibly so small on screen
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Currently watching my wife play Tetris Effect VR. She got further than I did in half the time.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I haven't tried VR yet, Tetris on the big screen just doesn't have the same appeal as handheld for me.

@MK, if the gameplay is better than the 3DS Ubisoft game than that's still a win.
  • Nina wrote:
    I haven't tried VR yet, Tetris on the big screen just doesn't have the same appeal as handheld for me. @MK, if the gameplay is better than the 3DS Ubisoft game than that's still a win.

I'd be willing to bet that VR would change your mind.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    On the page before - lovely write up. I think you’re the only person I know who might appreciate and love Tetris as much as I do. Only game which I think you left out which deserved credit imo is Tetris DS which was actually pretty decent and had some nice game modes.

I actually have a copy of that....never played it!!!!

Big fan of Tetris dx on Wii.. it even has a daft balance board mode and the tetris race modr has an even dafter steering wheel control option.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If you fancy a Tetris game that's a bit different check out Sega Tetris that was released on the arcade Naomi board and dreamcast. It's rock hard but looks great and has a few tweaks. It even has a 2v2 mode that needs the rare system link cable and looks bonkers.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Parodius series -- various

Parodius, to the uninitiated, is a spin off from the venerable horizontal shooter series called Gradius (or Nemesis in the West). It shares exactly the same gameplay rules and features, but replaces the typical late 80s-early 90s hum drum shooter graphics and sonics with outlandish, cartoon, fever inspired visuals and comical remixes of a blend of famous pieces of classical music and the original Gradius series soundtrack. The game series is said to be a parody of Gradius; hence the name.

This is no mere reskin however; the narrow range of craft to choose from in Gradius is expanded in Parodius to a cast of Konami back catalogue game themed characters that are accompanied by their own range of weapons. This has been implemented such that they make a dramatic difference to the approach the player can make to different levels which themselves are original - although it has to be said that they share certain characteristics with the original layouts.

It can be argued that it doesn't add much to the formula but it really appeals to my sensibilities which are influenced by love of all things Japanese and weird. While the sights and sounds are weird , and in of themselves goad me on to see what the next level is like, they hang together with a certain level of consistency. They are also of a rather high level of quality and can cause distractions. Simply, they add to the level of enjoyment I feel while playing.

The Gradius level of difficulty remains too - sharing the series mechanic that cranks up the difficulty level to match the level of power ups you are armed with - so it has that conflicting look of a cute game with deadly difficulty - another mix that really floats my boat.

The series is a collector's dream as it possesses a pretty complex heritage - with its first appearance being on the little known MSX range of computers in Japan. It has in the main been an arcade game but each entry in the series has been ported to a range of home consoles. The main attraction for collectors is the fact that cross platform versions of each port differ - the developers have added exclusive levels to each version - perhaps playing to the host platform's strengths.  I am led to believe that the Parodius team eventually left Konami and became fanboys' dream developer Treasure - who have a track record of squeezing the best out of platforms.

I first encountered this series on the SNES when I got its version of the first arcade game in the series (called Paradius Da! in the arcade but just called Parodius on the SNES). It blew me away at the time - indeed it can still be considered a pretty solid port. Graphically it is damn close to the original though it can be affected by slowdown in the busier parts of the game. The SNES version has more levels than the original and can actually be a bit of a slog because of its length for a shmup - but it never fails to be entertaining.

Another feature of the console ports is a 2nd score attack mode (called Lollipop or Omake mode depending on the version) which offers up a single special score attack level designed to throw lots of powerups at the player which ups the rank very quickly , while also featuring plenty of opportunities to milk for score. Again - these Omake modes differ across ports on different platforms.

Once I went to the 32bit era, I opted to collect the series on Saturn which has the horsepower to deliver these games while not being compromised by slowdown or any other technical constraints.  The PS1 also got the full series but they seem to be more difficult to find (or at least seemed to be at the time I was looking around). Despite the rumours of PS1 being a slouch at 2D the games perform just as well as their Saturn counterparts - at least in the main. But there is the attraction of the exclusive levels for each port.

Four games were released on the 32bit consoles. The 1st disc is a 2 game compilation an "arcade perfect" version of Parodius Da and the sequel called Parodius Fantastic Journey or Fantastic Parodius.  The first game shows how good the SNES port is at it doesn't look that different though it is a more solid game due it the absence of slowdown. The Omake mode is different from the SNES one. The first game does start to show its age now but it's still enjoyable to play. The 2nd game however ups the ante to ridiculous levels and it delivered one of the most jarring gaming experience I ever had.

There's a speed auto scroll level in Fantastic Journey (think it's level 4) that kicks off with a remix of the William Tell Overture as the soundtrack - the first few seconds of that knocked me sideways - I really knew I had moved up a notch from 16bit gaming when I experienced this and it will always stick with me.

The next 2 games are released on separate discs. There's Oshaberi (or Chatting) Parodius which has even more insanity - the roster of characters is enormous. It's also a console exclusive game and was originally a SNES release. The menus look quite 16bit but the game itself has been retouched and looks glorious and generally ups the pace and looks from the 2nd game. Its console origins show in the amount of features it has with arrange modes, sub quests (there's a fairy hunt similar to the dog hunt in Radiant Silvergun) which unlocks more characters when completed. Separate stats are kept for each character and its also the only shmup  I know that lets you pause and save your status in one of 3 slots. It isn't quite a save state but it saves your level location and powerups so you can restart and continue on from that point at any time. It also has a commentary track that apparently reacts to actions in real time (it being in Japanese I can't comment on that). In 2 player mode a female commentator joins in - I believe this is why it's called Chatting Parodius).  This game has 2 Omake modes - a score attack mode and a second mode that is laid out like a race track which tracks high scores AND best times.

Konami ransacked games in its library for level design inspiration too. There's a Lethal Enforcers themed level that features 2 gunsights bearing down on your craft for example. There also a Goemon themed level - so it adds to the enjoyment spotting all the videogame references.

The final game in the series is called Sexy Parodius which introduces a small change to the game style. From level 2 on, there is a mission - pick up X number of a certain object or shoot Y of a certain enemy. There is a branching level system and you go to a different level depending on mission success or failure - so this in itself offers some replay value. There are less features in this one (only a single Omake mode and no subquests) which betrays the fact it was an arcade game, but the graphical and sonic polish are a bit of an improvement. The game looks and sound gorgeous and is best in a series that generally has an excellent high quality reputation for graphics and sounds.  

There is also a weird story attached to the game which has imagery and inter-level stills that give the game its name. And one of the bosses that looks like a giant racoon running on its hind legs gets somewhat understandably antagonised if you shoot its rather obvious testicles - I leave it to the reader to determine wether that is sexy or not.

It's a real shame that this series hasn't been picked up since. When Treasure did Gradius V for PS2 I held my breath in expectation of a Parodius followup but so far I'm still waiting.  This is one of the few games that would prompt me to buy the host console.

You see a lot of penguins in the series.......I got this image from a folder on the Oshaberi Parodius disc for Saturn.
    PEN1.BMP
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye.  :)   One's called Gabriel - had to google to get the name of the other which is Daniel.

There's a pair of stick men who ride on paper planes that sport a condom with the shield power up.

SEXYPAROA--Sexy%20Parodius%20ver%20AAA_Aug6%2023_36_02.png
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some Sexy Parodius imagery..

The racoon boss...
    SEXY_PARODIUS_SATURN_7.jpg

One of the more unsettling cut scenes...

gfs_7002_2_67_mid.jpg
  • Loved the Portal write up.
    Had I any skill Id write about OG Tomb Raider, Monkey Island 2 or The Last of Us.Or Tenchu.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • If I could write better there would be a Banjo string...

...of words, posted by me.
  • That's the first time a paragraph break has made me think of a torn frenulum.
  • OP updated. Excellent work.
  • Think I might do another one.
  • 5/9 are by Davy! Good work.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I’ll do a Mass Effect 2 one at some point.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'll probably do DonDonPachi and that will be me done.
  • Portal Love

The cake is a lie. This is a cool thread, i will come back to it. I just wanted to share in the Portal love. The puzzles, the story, the humour! Utter genius.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!