• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    The speed difference with MK64 really is quite noticeable. It's a pity because later N64 games didn't feel quite so bad.
    I was reading some old mags the other day and I have a theory on this. Nintendo shut down their UK headquarters late in the SNES days and Nintendo products were then distributed by Total Home Entertainment or THE.  It was under them things became very shoddy and it didn't improve until Nintendo setup a EU HQ in Germany, which is still the one we have today I believe.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if RARE schooled Nintendo in PAL optimisations. They have a history of that - their 8 way scrolling routines were used in SMB3 if I remember right.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm hoping for N64.

It would be missing a handful of must haves but these things are easily hackable.

N64 emulation has always been dodgy for me so having a mini with perfect emulation for my 20 game collection would be most welcomed.

I should imagine my collection would fetch a decent price as it's all in mint condition, so I'd be well in the black, save some space and have HDMI out.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The Rare output on N64 would be too big a loss IMO. It's not even that I was a big fan of all their games, it just wouldn't feel like a proper lineup without them.
  • Is this thing hackable for just SNES games or can it be turned into a low-oompf Raspberry Pi (can it handle blast processing, basically)?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Is this thing hackable for just SNES games or can it be turned into a low-oompf Raspberry Pi (can it handle blast processing, basically)?
    Why would you do that ? Can't see it myself . Just buy a Raspberry pi
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • JonB wrote:
    The Rare output on N64 would be too big a loss IMO. It's not even that I was a big fan of all their games, it just wouldn't feel like a proper lineup without them.

Agreed but they're easily hackable.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Is this thing hackable for just SNES games or can it be turned into a low-oompf Raspberry Pi (can it handle blast processing, basically)?

Dunno
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    AN N64 mini would be more attractive to me. Losing the RARE games would be no great deal to me apart from Diddy Kong Racing which really was very good indeed.

The N64 mini really would need 4 player support.

Casting licensing aside and assuming NTSC versions - there's quite a lot to choose from - these are all quality offerings. 1st party alone gives us a dozen worthwhile games.

1st party:
    M64
    MK64
    F-Zero X
    Starwing/Lylat Wars
    Pokemon Puzzle League
    Mario Golf & Tennis
    Zelda Oot and MM
    Yoshi's Story (I'm a real apologist for this game - an unappreciated gem in my book )

The Mario Parties - no. 1 would be dropped because of the daft hand hurting mini game.

Pilotwings64
    Sin & Punishment
    Mischief Makers
    Excitebike64
    Mystical Ninja 2 (I'd be interested in the first one as I've heard it's rather good)
    Wetrix
    Mortal Kombat 4 or Killer Instinct Gold  - not sure if this is a RARE IP or not
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Why would you do that ? Can't see it myself . Just buy a Raspberry pi

I'm all set with a Pi, was just asking a question a mate texted me (he's got one of these).
  • @davy You can add Waverace to that lot as well.

It was a great 1st party machine.
  • Resident Evil 2 would be a nice addition.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The pad would be an issue to, it was great for its time but is a bit of an eyesore now despite still being comfortable enough.

I think they'd have to redesign it like that Hori one that came out.

Back onto games, a Turok game probably deserves a spot. There was some decent Star Wars games as well. DOOM64!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    @davy You can add Waverace to that lot as well. It was a great 1st party machine.

Yikes - how could I have forgot that one..

Doom64 is another great call.

if Star Wars licensing was sorted then I'd like to see Episode Racer get a run out on it - and if the mini supported the 4MB expansion then it would look prettier too.

Just sticking with 1st party there would be a nice offering on an n64mini.
  • Has there been a complete romset released for this hack? Or is it still a very manual process to add each game at a time?
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • Mario Kart is hard. On 150cc it’s very hard to get away from the pack and whoever is second just lobs stuff at you continually. If you get caught in the pack, forget about it. It’s very unforgiving. Can’t get those turbo starts either. Still getting my eye back in with the drifting though so there’s room for improvement.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember being delighted when 150cc mode was unlocked. I was enjoying the game so much I didn't want to finish it.

SMK is the first game I experienced TT ghosts with. I can remember thinking how clever that was.
  • I thought the ghosts were a glitch from a previous run. Very cool thing.

100cc special is wher it starts to get hard for me.
  • Thinking of it, Super Mario Kart may have been the first game to introduce the concept of 'ghosts'. Could be wrong tho.
    The turbo boost is the only way too finish 150cc if I remember correctly. Rainbow road was hard as nails.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What do you mean by "turbo boost"?  I'm pretty sure I did it all back in the day, without shenanigans!
  • 150cc was hardcore but I did it.
  • 150cc SMK is still the best MK has ever been.

When you can do five laps of a track in 1 minute 13 seconds in SMK, but the same track in MK8 takes the same length of time for less laps, with mechanics that let you drive in water, and boost mushrooms are used, then something has gone wrong.

• acemuzzy wrote:
    What do you mean by "turbo boost"?  I'm pretty sure I did it all back in the day, without shenanigans!
    The fast start, presumably.
  • acemuzzy wrote:

Haha, you needed that turbo boost especially in vs play with everyone throwing items at you. If you pressed accelerate at the right time right before lakitu gave the green light, you'd get a nitro boost.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ah that, yup, sure.  Deffo harder work without!
  • fast start is done between first and second lights but I think it's easier to go off the visual cue than the sound beeps which aren't in sync. There are also slight variations to the timing in GP which afaik have never been explained to me but does explain why even top players miss zoom-starts in the world championships. 

Worth noting that the 1'13 in the video is using NBT (new boost technique) which is impossible for any of you to do without a modified pad. The top players didn't modify their pads to begin with, the nub on the dpad wore away so much after years of play allowing it to happen but new players do mod theirs.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    fast start is done between first and second lights but I think it's easier to go off the visual cue than the sound beeps which aren't in sync. There are also slight variations to the timing in GP which afaik have never been explained to me but does explain why even top players miss zoom-starts in the world championships.  Worth noting that the 1'13 in the video is using NBT (new boost technique) which is impossible for any of you to do without a modified pad. The top players didn't modify their pads to begin with, the nub on the dpad wore away so much after years of play allowing it to happen but new players do mod theirs.

Is that the cornering trick where you press left and right at the same time or something??
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • yes, it's the way they're going across grass without losing speed. Essentially you're inputting both left and right to do a straight boost which doesn't loose speed on terrain. You'll see the cart twitch a bit at the top level or on lower levels what looks like shit snaking prior to the corner. It's a pretty big game changer, i.e. you can't get top times without it.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Damn, and people moaned about snaking in DS and fire hopping on 8.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Snaking was shit because to compete you needed to bust your thumb.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!