SNES mini
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Why would you want to put PAL versions on there when the crap versions?

There are some cool pal only games. Or if you want to dump your own carts onto there.
  • Played a bunch of this over the weekend, Yoshi's Island and Contra being the current go-tos. Liking it more than I thought I would and, strangely, haven't dipped into Starfox 2 much at all yet.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Why would you want to put PAL versions on there when the crap versions?
    There are some cool pal only games. Or if you want to dump your own carts onto there.

Are there? I can't think of any. We got a nice golf game called World Masters Golf that was PAL only but nothing else springs to mind.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Terranigma, Micro Machines 2, Cannon Fodder off the top of my head.

I'm sure there's a few more.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Super international cricket.

Terranigma is the biggie there though (the Proto rainfall game!)
  • also differences between pal and ntsc super mario kart
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    also differences between pal and ntsc super mario kart

Eh? What are those?
  • Yeah I'm intrigued to?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 10 oscillations per second?
  • I was convinced that Pal Super Mario Kart only had three laps, so when I started playing emulated US versions, I was surprised with five lap races.

Maybe I'm wrong though.
  • Aside from Bowser and Peach necking the booze in the JPN version I don't think there's any differences... apart from the standard 17.5% speed difference, but thats not exclusive to SMK.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • PAL runs a few seconds slower on most races. Some slight noticable differences are that the off-road terrain such as grass, sand and water slows the kart down more on the PAL version. Such important differences induce separate charts, and scores between the two versions are incomparable.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was tweaked then. It must have also got some speed adjustment to be only a few seconds behind after 5 laps.
  • I did think the dirt on Mario circuits was ridiculously forgiving.
  • Just played it. Well I say I played it - it was nigh on unplayable - horrendous looking. Best left in the past that one.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    MK still eminently playable.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Takes some adjustment but yes, it's still a great game.

I think F-Zero has aged better though, it's so much smoother.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I can't agree. I used to love it but it sucks quite badly these days.
  • I'm one who prefers 64 to the SNES game, always have.

You can see the influence 64 had on the later games, the SNES (and GBA) games feel very different in comparison, because of that I think they're much harder to go back to.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • So, this sold 368,000 units in Japan in 4 days.

That's pretty damn impressive.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/10/super_famicom_mini_greatly_outsold_famicom_mini_in_japan
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm one who prefers 64 to the SNES game, always have. You can see the influence 64 had on the later games, the SNES (and GBA) games feel very different in comparison, because of that I think they're much harder to go back to.

There was just something about MK64 that put me off. 

First of all - I got SMK really early after the SNES launch not knowing what to expect and adored it  - rinsed that game. So it was always going to be hard to live up to the hype.

Then there's the fact that I played MK64 on a crappy PAL machine with an iffy AV hookup. It looked shit and ran like treacle. There is also something about the single player mode that makes the game seem empty. It comes to life in multi-player but wrt single player Diddy Kong Racing trounced it.

I really enjoyed the Wii version but my favourite remains Double Dash. MK8 Dx looks to be sufficient reason to get a Switch for this Christmas.  Not sure if I like the bikes in MKWii and I'm not overly keen on the idea of vehicle transitions in the MK8.  I like the Sonic Racing games but that's what differentiates them from MK.

I have since got the Japanese version of MK64 and have it running on my modded console with RGB SCART. The speed and clearer picture helps and the tracks are great but those sprite scaling drivers means the game will only ever look so good. Overall the game feels rushed and unfinished - can't really put my finger on it.
  • davyK wrote:
    Then there's the fact that I played MK64 on a crappy PAL machine with an iffy AV hookup. It looked shit and ran like treacle. There is also something about the single player mode that makes the game seem empty. It comes to life in multi-player but wrt single player Diddy Kong Racing trounced it.

I can understand this criticism, the tracks were to wide in hindsight.

As far as the PAL port goes it was poor but wasn't your SNES experience also PAL? I get that maybe it affected the 64 game more or that the SNES one might have had some optimisation.

Have you played either at full 60Hz since?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. SMK was PAL but it didn't feel slow. MK64 didn't have a sense of speed on most tracks - that Wario stadium one was particularly bad.

I have NTSC versions of both now - I offloaded the PAL versions of both. If I have one tiny regret about my big clearout a while back it was getting rind of PAL SMK - though that's more about sentimentality.  I have the US version but I'd like to get a boxed version of the JP version.

With SMK the speed difference wasn't that noticeable. Seeing it full screen was the main difference which in a way can make a game feel faster as the image is stretched. The speed difference with MK64 really is quite noticeable.

It's a pity because later N64 games didn't feel quite so bad. They did a decent job with F-Zero X for example. The NTSC version still runs a bit faster but the difference isn't as marked and you get a nice sense of speed with the PAL version.
  • I don’t think the detailed 2d car and crap 3d graphics helped foster the idea the car was part of the world either. A horrid fudge. The boost sections also did a weird thing to indicate fast (a janky zoom in)but it was not satisfying at all. The drifting was also weird.

Overall: 64 can go in a bin.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I can remember changing the camera setting gave me a slightly better impression of speed. One of the camera positions was a bit further back behind the kart and that helped but it wasn't great.

The tracks in MK64 were very good though - i was reminded of that when they started popping up in MK Wii - they were among the better tracks to race on.

I also liked the feature that prevented you from spinning out if you hit a banana and applied the brake at the right time.

Toad's Turnpike is a hateful track. Didn't like the update on Wii either.
  • I can't agree. I used to love it but it sucks quite badly these days.
    Overall: 64 can go in a bin.
    Some people shouldn't be allowed nice things.
  • davyK wrote:
    The speed difference with MK64 really is quite noticeable. It's a pity because later N64 games didn't feel quite so bad.

I was reading some old mags the other day and I have a theory on this.

Nintendo shut down their UK headquarters late in the SNES days and Nintendo products were then distributed by Total Home Entertainment or THE. 

It was under them things became very shoddy and it didn't improve until Nintendo setup a EU HQ in Germany, which is still the one we have today I believe.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Anyone see Amazon had these for £49.99 if you had Amazon Prime Now ?

Unreal price , I bet most people who bought them are scalping cunts though
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I'm surprised to find my local Prime Now actually has SNES Minis in stock.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I played MK64 a lot for a while, and got into the drift-boost thing, but in hindsight, it's not particularly good. 

I mostly ended up just TTing on Mario Circuit, which also had the bonus of the shortcuts to get right, as many of the tracks were a bit duff and just too big.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!