• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Space Invaders '91
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Gunstar Heroes has to be one of the easiest Treasure games to get into I reckon. Its also my most favouritest game ever so do you worst Hylian!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Fuck Sonic. I'd like to try: SoR2 and Landstalker Treasure games Story of Thor Phantasy Star 4 Shining Force Etc

I think you'd like Story of Thor quite a bit.  It would be a good action RPG to play as a modern gamer, because it's quite short - 7 or 8 hours iirc, which is a fair whack but you'd be hard pressed to find a more accessible RPG in terms of finding time to play it.  The powers of the spirits provide some well thought out puzzles too.  Yuzo Koshiro was balls deep in the project, and although some of the music is perfunctory there are some decent tunes.

Landstalker is one of my all time favourites but there are aspects of the mechinics that are hamstrung by the isometric perspective - the combat is extremely simplistic compared to Thor, which has a moveset to rival a few scrolling beat 'em ups.  I can't speak highly enough of Shining Force 2, but it's not suited to a quick fumble, it's all or nothing and if you have 20hrs to spend on a tactical turn based RPG you'd be better off with Fire Emblem Awakening, much as I hate to be mean to SF2.
  • A couple of good shooters in Gynoug and Hellfire. The Revenge of Shinobi is still pretty great. There's Devil Crash, of course. Some good Konami offerings (although mostly a shade below Konami's SNES standards). Dynamite Headdy as well as Gunstar Heroes from Treasure. And then a lot of the stuff already mentioned.
  • How would I play any of these games nowadays? I'm averse to emulating games that I don't own. Any on the 3DS eshop?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I have to play Bloodlines at some point, being a Castlevania fan. 

Also Rocket Knight Adventures.
  • Btw I'd give Mystical Ninja a CVG High 5.

Whilst we're talking about Konami; Castlevania Bloodlines and TMNT The Hyperstone Heist are worth checking out on MD as is Rocket Knight Adventures.

Try Sonic & Knuckles, Decap Attack, Ristar and Dynamite Heady for platformers.

All EA games were better on MD but most were sport games although EA Hockey has aged exceptionally well. Road Rash is worth a play, as are the Strike games although its probably best just to stick with Desert.

Mercs, Thunderstorms and Hellfire are decent shooters. MD had plenty of those.

I could rattle on but those are what immediately spring to mind.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    How would I play any of these games nowadays? I'm averse to emulating games that I don't own. Any on the 3DS eshop?

Shinobi 3 is on 3DS as is SoR with SoR 2 on the way.

Sonic MD collection on PS3/360 has plenty of MD games on it plus there's the Wii VC on your Wii U.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Ahahaha you want me to try and download something on Wii U good joke

Ok I'll try it at some point. Not sure there's anything on the list to yank me away from either Bloodborne or Zelda on 3DS at the moment though.
  • Actually Rocket Knight Adventures would probably be Elf's favourite MD game.  Did Konami ever put anything on the Virtual Console, or were they the company whose offerings were surprisingly absent?

• No MD games but literally all their NES and SNES back catalogue which makes no sense imo.

Surely its more likely Nintendo fans missed out on the MD games and not the NES/SNES? Makes even less sense when you take into account Konami now own most of the PC Engine back catalogue which is very well catered for on Wii VC.

They put every single CV game on VC bar Bloodlines (and 64 which has been dismissed by them as non-cannon), thats pure BS!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Did we try the Vectorman games? The first one is swish.
  • I never clicked with those, felt like style over substance.

It has reminded me of another MD Konami game though, Contra Hard Corps. ALSO NOT ON VC!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Vectorman was on the list a year or so back.  I finished it (never played it in the 90s), so it would be interesting to see what I wrote about it 'cos based on memory I'm currently leaning towards retro's appraisal above. I distinctly remember one of the non run and gun levels being extremely irritating.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Has been some time since I played it I have to admit. The presentation was slick but I remember the control being nice too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
     I've played a fair bit of Vectorman this week, and I'm quite impressed with it.  It's certainly one of the best MD platform shooters.  It's also very smooth  and quite stylish looking - an ice level with weather effects looked particularly impressive.  I think I'm on level 7 (which is a rather poor top down change of pace, possibly inspired by Frogger), and although it could do with more impressive bosses it doesn't lack much for me.  In hindsight I should have waited for this and possibly Skeleton Krew, Comix Zone + Ristar instead of begging for my launch 32X + Doom.

If you fancy a platform/shooty game then Toki might be worth a look on MD too. Be warned it is old school rock hard though. Looks a bit dull too but has a really solid feel to it.
  • Good find.  Gotta stick to my post-play opinion then, sounds like an 86%.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    How would I play any of these games nowadays? I'm averse to emulating games that I don't own.
    I'm sure you've given these companies enough of your money over the years to not have to worry about that.
  • Not to Sega I haven't. :)

Name me a good MD emu on PC or Mac then please. :)
  • I have one called Fusion, which does the job. Does Master System stuff too.
  • This is win win.  You get to thumb your nose at the pretenders whilst running the rule over their games.  I bought a 32X on release day, so I reckon I've still got a few imaginary loyalty card points to gift you.
  • I think Elf et al might like:

Played it last year.  It's a gem alright.
  • Been neglecting this thread considering I've still been retro gaming.

Over the last few months:

Wild Guns (SNES)
    A third person fixed view shooter that shouldn't work as well as it sounds or even as well as it initially feels. Once it clicks though you realise your playing one of the Super Nintendo's hidden gems. So good, if a bit short, and thats all that stops it getting a high five.
    4/5

Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES)
    This one has taken me absolutely years to get around to but I'm glad I finally did. Konami striking 16Bit gold yet again. At times I wish the over world didn't exist and that I could just play the '2D levels' separately ala Actraiser, but the whole thing was just so damn charming that even the fleshed out bits were a joy.
    5/5

Contra III The Alien Wars (SNES)
    Played and completed many times before but gave it a blast through with a friend recently on the retron5 so that's a good enough excuse for a little write up. Seen by many as the best Contra and whilst that's not the case for me (Shattered Soldier holds that accolade for me), its still a damn fine Contra game. Not even the overhead levels can spoil it, ok I admit it... I actually like them.
    5/5

Tiny Toons Buster Bursts Loose (SNES)
    Charming platformer that captures the feel and humour of the cartoon brilliantly. Feels different from Mario/Sonic etc of the day and that's a good thing. Has a huge downside though, far far too short. Konami's MD games sometimes felt like they were half as long as they should have been, which for the most part was the only thing holding them back from being on par with their SNES efforts. Even the NES game seemed longer from what I remember(?).
    3/5

There's been more but this'll do for a thread bump.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I assume that you didn't play Buster Busts Loose set to easy? Easy mode leaves out parts of the levels. 

BBL didn't feel short to me back in the day but in retrospect I suppose it is a bit on the short side.
  • No. Played it on normal, which upon completion said try the hard mode after a brief and disappointing ending.

I read an FAQ after which seemed to suggest the only benefit is an extended end sequence which I'll just watch on youtube.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I completed it on hard back in the day - can't remember if the ending was that different. Was 20 years ago mind.

Main difference is you have a smaller health meter and some enemies take more hits. I found the game very entertaining. Loved level 2.
  • Wild Guns was one of the most enjoyable fresh-retro experiences I've had.  Played the first level round yours, ploughed through the whole thing on my jxd that evening.  Takes a while to click but everything works extremely well.

Played a MD game called Marvel Land for a while yesterday, was quite basic and pretty good fun.  Moved on to Thunder force IV.  Did three levels of that, spamming save states.  They passed me by in the 90s but the love seems justified.  Music was great.

Might try Hagane this weekend.
  • Been looking into Japanese games unreleased in the West such as Gradius 2. As expected the Japanese are shit hot on capitalising on them now.

Frustrating as I get the feeling they cost next to fuck all locally.

Even games that have been localised with major changes such as the Rushing Beat trilogy on SFC demand quite a bit now.

This is all before taking postage and the inevitable customs charges into account.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I need a bit of help - I have a Japanese Super Famicom and it has everything except the AC lead.

I've done a bit of searching but finding it quite difficult to source a Japanese AC adaptor - I'm presuming I'll also need a step down as well. Anyone know of the best place to look for the AC?
  • You shouldn't need a stepdown, just use a UK SNES one.

The 'bricks' halfway down the wires do all the power conversions. Its only consoles without those such as PlayStations or DC that require stepdown converters.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!