Zombie Survival
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Whilst starting off in some random part of the map with no idea where I am and no resources hoping that I make it back to my clan without dying from my extreme vulnerability, which would likely take a few attempts at least, restarting from scratch each time.

It can work in a roguelike as the difficulty can scale to you. In an MMO, that seems much more difficult.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I liked the way State of Decay did it, you rescued survivors and they joined your group, if your character needed to rest/snuffed it, you'd take control of another member of your group.

Could work in on MMO, if you save an AI bot you can take them home and they stand guard until you need them.

BTW if anyone is reading and posting about zombie games without having played State of Decay they need a wood axe to the cranium.
  • The only thing I would have would be a 'days survived' stat that you can see when you meet another player. This should also be visible on the player avatar with a suitably grizzled, bearded look. ;)
    This would instantly become the new kill/death ratio bullshit as morons seek to have the longest surviving avatar by killing all the competition.

no stats

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Didn't know that was 360. If it was PS3 I would be tempted.
    Edit @sparkly

Agree with G. No stats at all.
    You can judge how long people have survived on how well set up they are. Unless they are murdering cunts, but that would be part of the fun.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The main issue with a ZMMO is other people playing the thing. The vast majority of online players are intolerable cunts.
  • That should be sorted through gameplay mechanics. Being a dick should end up with you dead, a lot!
    It's easy to blame the dickheads online being selfish but most games reward cuntery.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    How do you stop it? GTA tried to put all the mongs into their own mong server, but I don't think it worked. I'm not convinced you can do anything to prevent cunts being cunts, they'll always find a way.
  • Difficulty.
    You make the game near impossible to survive solo.
    Remove rewards for being a dick.

So ***NOOBSKILLZ£!&*** spawns and is helped by a commune.
    ***NOOBSKILLZ£!&*** decides to kill everyone to have all the stuffs.

Firstly make ammunition rare, ***NOOBSKILLZ£!&*** only has ten bullets and 7 people to kill, he best be accurate. If ***NOOBSKILLZ£!&*** trys to use melee weapons on a human he may find it tricky, humans are fast and come to each other's aid.
    Power in numbers.

So ***NOOBSKILLZ£!&*** actually did it, he killed everyone. Night is falling and the Zeds are getting agressive.
    ***NOOBSKILLZ£!&*** can't take off into the night, it is far too dangerous. Zeds are atracted to the light of torches. He runs around and extinguishes all the Commune lamps but a few zeds have already been made aware. The zeds shuffle towards the camp, it's fortified with some fencing and 2x4s but not much.
    ***NOOBSKILLZ£!&*** trys to track around the camp watching all the vantage points but the night is long, all the running around is making him tired ands weak.
    The zeds find a weakness in the fencing and flood in, too tired to fight, too tired to run ***NOOBSKILLZ£!&*** is a sitting duck.

***NOOBSKILLZ£!&*** is dead, no matter he can respawn. ***NOOBSKILLZ£!&*** finds the same commune again. Who instantly to tell him to fuck right off.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    He doesn't have to kill everyone, just one person. Then they're pissed off as they have to graft their balls off just to get back to where they started.

As I say this dickhead isn't really alone, he's part of an army of cunts, all acting up and causing mischief for the hell of it, no consequences for their actions. Piss everyone off so they're killing you on site? Move servers, start again.

Actually, that Urban Dead thing might be on to something, if you snuff it with a bounty or negative karma or some shit then you have a 24 hour cooldown, no more game for you sonny Jim.

Then you need to think about what actions within the game earn you good/bad karma.
  • Actually, that Urban Dead thing might be on to something, if you snuff it with a bounty or negative karma or some shit then you have a 24 hour cooldown, no more game for you sonny Jim.
    These kind of things are solutions to problems. To avoid people getting bored force them to live as a zombie for a set amount of time.
    It is all in the details.
    The problem with GTAO is they launched a fucking mess of an experience then had to spend all their time working to make it function while people exploited the shit out of it.

I think making the game insanely hard solo would help a lot. No health bar against a Zed, if it bites you, you are dead, no cure, no 6 or 7 bites to get you, it bites game over. Or at least you will be infected and get to look foward to a slow painful death.
    Where as in a group you can watch every angle and gang up on zombies that get too close.
    Like I suggested, ammo is scarce, individual Zombies are weak against melee due to their inabilty to evade, humans are strong against melee, can fight back, block and parry. A maruading gang of humans will be powerful but take a risk by being out in the open, making lots of noise, not knowing the defenses of any one commune. A mob could in the end just end up delivering a bunch of resource to a well fortified group.

In terms of easing a player in. Days 1-3 could be a training mode, pure PvE but by the morning of day 4 you should have resource and direction enough to ally with someone.
  • It doesn't matter what you do, some cunts will find a way to exploit the game to allow them to be cunts, and they will band together with other cunts to form a roving army of cunts.

Basically, this game would be amazing, if it wasn't for other people.
  • You can allow for roving armies of cunts. That takes organisation, you make that part of the game. Allow people to behave like twats and you can control it by making it a mechanic.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Roaming bands of cunts is fine. They are working as a team, and its quite realistic really. You would likely get marauding bands of nomads causing havoc. That's where more civilised outposts could help each other. Teaming up to fight the common enemy, warning each other of marauder locations etc.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm still not convinced you'd get much further than spawn in the middle of nowhere, struggle to survive for an hour, meet human, die, repeat.

Isn't that the major gripe with DayZ?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah. You're probably right. Private server's with good admin control's so you can set up a variety of NPC settlements and groups would be my preferred way to go.
  • It's easy. Anyone with a 'zZ' in their name all get sent to a zZ server. So 'zZgamertagZz' gets shunted into a derp server.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • pantyfire wrote:
    It's easy. Anyone with a 'zZ' in their name all get sent to a zZ server. So 'zZgamertagZz' gets shunted into a derp server.
    A rule for all games.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    But there's only one 'z' in Oxzno.

Fail.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    All this talking dead gave me the push to buy DR3.  Then I read this.

BTW if anyone is reading and posting about zombie games without having played State of Decay they need a wood axe to the cranium.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • State of Decay is fucking awesome. The recent update made it even more fucking awesome.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    What were the updates?
  • Main thing was the car boots had storage. Godsend for transporting materials. Parking a car loaded with them in a parking space automatically put them into supplies.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Ah brilliant. Always annoyed me that you couldn't do that.
  • So, looks like Fortnite is actually coming out soon then?

Took a while, but does look pretty polished:

Loot and crafting and shooting and whatnot are right in my wheelhouse, but I can imagine it's only really going to be any cop in co-op, and single player will be a bit shit.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'm quite interested in it, but need to see more.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Isn't there some shenanigans afoot regarding paying for early access then it going FTP after a year? It has alarms sounding in my head but then so did Hitman with its episodic release and that was spot on so maybe I'm just frightened of change.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Anyway, I like zombies and crafting and all that shit, I'll be keeping an eye on it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Whilst starting off in some random part of the map with no idea where I am and no resources hoping that I make it back to my clan without dying from my extreme vulnerability, which would likely take a few attempts at least, restarting from scratch each time.

It can work in a roguelike as the difficulty can scale to you. In an MMO, that seems much more difficult.

I have zero recollection of writing this nor the first idea WTF I was talking about.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I didn't realise Fortnite would be FTP next year. Wait then.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!