Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Devil World - interesting take on pacman style of play with Christian overtones.

Maoi Kun - puzzle platformer with head butting Easter Island Head character.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Power Drive is definitely the game you're thinking of:

skip to 1m16s
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Also, can we have some votes for obscure NES month please

Felix the Cat
    New Ghostbusters 2
    Xexyz
    Action in New York
    Mighty Final Fight
    Street Fighter 2010
    The Guardian Legend
    Crisis Force

and...

Wrecking Crew, more underrated/appreciated than obscure.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Power Drive is definitely the game you're thinking of:
    skip to 1m16s

Cheers.  Haven't found that bit yet, but perhaps I just ploughed ahead with a straight championship.  It's an odd game.  I quite like it, but I'm finding the car very twitchy in the way it realigns itself.  The turning animation only has a few cycles as far as I can see, and it feels like the car pulls in an unusual way.  This could be the dpad I'm using, will try the PSP tomorrow.  At my current level I'd fail the Gamesmaster challenge miserably.  I'm qualifying without much fuss, but the opponents are leaving me for dust.
  • From suggestions going back as far as November, the following five games have been selected for 'Obscure NES Month', which starts Monday:

Felix the Cat
    Shatterhand
    Maoi Kun
    Isolated Warrior
    Shadow of the Ninja

...assuming that's OK with the participants.  Two were suggested by me, which is a bit cheeky.
  • Played as much as I'm going to play of Powerdrive.  It's decent, but I found it quite unforgiving and although I can't pinpoint what's wrong with the handling, it never felt as good as Super Skidmarks - perhaps the action is a tad too close up for the reasonable sensation of speed, making it tougher than was necessary?  The cone challenges and whatnot were a bit of a letdown, because I couldn't even work out what I was supposed to be doing with regards to the cones/chasing yellow icons that seemingly appeared at random.  I didn't even get to test my parking skills.  Both SNES and MD versions look nice, but everything's been scaled back a touch for the Sega version - it's definitely more impressive on the SNES, although it's a fine looking game on both.  One you learn the tracks it's a fun game though, and I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more in 1994. 

79%
  • Fifty: Obscure NES month

Felix the Cat

Felix%20the%20Cat%20%28U%29.png

Shatterhand

shatterhand-3.png

Maoi Kun

256101-moai-kun-nes-screenshot-you-will-have-to-do-some-rock-moving.gif

Isolated Warrior

isolated_warrior.gif

Shadow of the Ninja

ninja-3.png

As voted for by the B&B democratic union.

Play and discuss, or simply reminisce.

Schedule:

Wildcard Week (02/06)
    Cool Spot - Various (09/06)
    C64 Week - (23/06)
    Blackthorne - Various (30/06)
    Solstice - SNES (14/07)
    Derivative Platformer Fortnight - Various (28/07)
    R-Type III - SNES (11/08)
    Kirby Fortnight - Various (18/08)
    Wonderboy Fortnight - Various (01/09)
    Chakan The Forever Man - Megadrive (15/09)
    Wildcard Week (29/09)
    Pilotwings Fortnight - Various (13/10)
    Prince of Persia - Various (27/10)
    Pinball Week - Various (10/11)
    Wildcard Week - Master System (17/11)
    Obscure NES Month Returns, 5 Games - (24/11)
  • Shatterhand is so fucking awesome. Solbrain is the original and there are no functional differences in Shatterhand but the styling makes it 200% more awesome.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • I raced ahead and played that one a couple of months ago. It genuinely is 300% awesome.
  • In Solbrain, getting different power-ups would change the color of your Power Ranger armor. That makes sense. In Shatterhand, power-ups change the color of your sleeveless shirt. A shirt that is sleeveless because you punched the fucking arms out of it while trying to put it on, the same as all your other tops, because you're so fucking badass.

The cut scene at the start of Solbrain has been swapped for a three shot attract mode.

1. Man in sleeveless top.
    2. Robot firing a big gun.
    3. Man in sleeveless top punching robot.

Fuck me. That's an attract mode, a strategy guide, and every three act story ever told in 10 seconds of solid awesome.

How do you deal with enemies that shoot you when you've only brought fists? The answer is glaringly obvious. You punch the fuckimg bullets because you're so fucking badass.
  • You should paste that somewhere else, it's too good to fester with the tumbleweeds.
  • I defo should. Some of it's from a review I did.
  • Will get on this at some point this month, probably a lazy Sunday. Definitely want to play Isolated Warrior.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Finished Felix the Cat. Based on quality this felt like it should be quite well known. It's a platformer with basic shooter stages thrown in, and a constant shmup style three tier power up/power down system from pick-ups.

It looks/sounds good, and sprite flick is minimal. I particularly liked the paddleboat stages, as jumping into the water makes you submerge, and you can pop out at a higher velocity if you time the button push. The whole game felt suited to speed runs, but these sections especially.

It seems on par with Chip n Dale and other well regarded platformers to me. Very good. Not too short either, but a bit on the easy side.

87%.
  • Shadow of the Ninja done.  I'm constantly impressed with the NES.  I never had one as a kid, as I was firmly on the Master System side of the fence, and I didn't realise until recently quite how many quality lesser-known games there were for it.  Perhaps this was wildly popular, and I just read the wrong sources online.  There aren't too many under the radar Master System gems, certainly not in comparison, and (mostly) everything about this game seems too good for it not to be in I Love The NES lists online.

The thing that surprised me about it the most, other than how solid everything was, is the fact that it can be played by two players simultaneously.  Not to bang on about the Master System, but that very rarely happened on Sega's machine.  Even the Golden Axe port was a gimped single player effort (so was the Mega CD version actually, but that's just because someone at some point in the development process was a fucking idiot).

Srsly, if this game had a wall jump and a few less annoying bits where it feels like you have to take a hit if you're carrying the wrong weapon, it would be God-tier ninja platformer.  Even the music is good.

89%
  • Nice, looks decent. You gonna play Isolated Warrior?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Maoi Kun next for me, but I will give that one a proper go.
  • Played the first 8 or so stages of Maoi Kun just now.  Interesting little game - I reckon you'd like this one Retro.  It's not a million miles away from some of the stuff I've enjoyed on XBLA/PSN in recent years.  Will get stuck in tomorrow.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

I like Maoi Kun from gameplay and implementation points of view. It feels very solid.
  • I've probably had my fill of Maoi Kun for now, may return later in the year.  I'm not sure how long it is, but it seems like the sort of game that could go up to 99 stages.  It took me quite a while to work out how to do level 7, so it's not a game that eases you in as gently as a modern puzzle platformer would.  I spent quite a lot of time on it, despite only playing to level 22, because there's a huge emphasis on trial and error/pre-planning.  As far as I can tell it doesn't feel the need to throw new mechanics at the player every ten levels or so - you can attack, push, jump and use bombs if you collect them and that's about it (although springs were introduced just as I gave up, for a higher jump).  Everything else is just level design based around these principles, and it was all very enjoyable.  It's the sort of game that would have given me a profound sense of satisfaction if I'd completed it as a kid, I assume it gets diabolically fiendish towards the end. 85%

I've jabbed, hooked and clumped my way through five levels of Shatterhand so far.  It may be the pick of the bunch for me.  Will finish this week.  The boss at 3mins50secs in the following vid was nail bitingly tense, even after I worked that pattern out, because he took a surprising amount of hits.

Edit: heh, I'm obviously doing something wrong because the main character is a robot in that clip, and I haven't progressed past a red gillet yet.
  • I don't think I've ever been a full on robot. I remember the power up system being a three digit binary system. Don't know if there was any more levels to each power up or what.
  • I've been punching the power-ups until they all match (I also like the way you punch money bags as quickly as possible to get more cash).  Perhaps the robot requires a certain secret power-up punching pattern?  Will have a look later.
  • Iirc you punch the power up to flick it from A to B. You need 3 before you can cash in.

AAA
    AAB
    ABB
    BBB
    BBA
    BAA
    BAB
    ABA

These are your options. Like an octave on a trumpet.
  • I lost my glasses a few months ago, I could've sworn there were three symbols.  Good job I wasn't playing Mahjong.
  • It might be 3 symbols and 2 slots or something completely different. It's been a year since I played. I'm pretty sure that's the principle though.
  • No, you were right - three slots, two symbols.  Decent piece on the game here.  Robot suit needs six symbols.
  • Fifty one : Cool Spot (Various)

Dave Perry's third original 16-bit console title.  Originally the 7-Up mascot in The States, just surfed on green bottles in the UK (because of Fido Dido, probably).  Notable for its music, and as ever with Dave Perry/Virgin/Shiny games, its animation. 

Wipeout!

How well has it aged?  Was it ever particularly good?  You decide. 

Play and discuss, or simply reminisce.

Schedule:

Wildcard Week (16/06)
    C64 Week - (23/06)
    Blackthorne - Various (30/06)
    Solstice - SNES (14/07)
    Derivative Platformer Fortnight - Various (28/07)
    R-Type III - SNES (11/08)
    Kirby Fortnight - Various (18/08)
    Wonderboy Fortnight - Various (01/09)
    Chakan The Forever Man - Megadrive (15/09)
    Wildcard Week (29/09)
    Pilotwings Fortnight - Various (13/10)
    Prince of Persia - Various (27/10)
    Pinball Week - Various (10/11)
    Wildcard Week - Master System (17/11)
    Obscure NES Month Returns, 5 Games - (24/11)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have the SNES version. Thought it was pretty good technically - though I didn't get that far into the game - got as far as the bit with the mice in pyjamas - that may have only been level 2. I think the length of the levels and the collecting aspect of the game put me off.
  • Played two levels of this, before changing from train to bus and realising that the fast restore on PSP wipes your save states. I'm not looking forward to playing the levels again, but the game is slightly better than I remembered. I think as a kid I approached it as a platformer, and came away disappointed, but it's a platform shooter at heart, probably weighted towards shooting, as you need to constantly fire in all directions/off-screen. There's enjoyment to be had if you take a softly softly approach to progession, but I prefer shooters like Contra where you can tear through - run and gun, basically, whereas this is just plod and fizz. It has eight-way fire though, which I forgot about.

Animation is good, but spot takes too long to kick into a suitable walking gear as he idles though the pretty frames - I found this with Flink, which I played for the first time recently, although the Psynosis game had enough charm to keep me hooked (even though the acceleration period was even longer).

Enemies don't seem to be placed by design, they're just...there. And they're everywhere. To make matters worse they take too much energy off for the randomness/annoyances of their placement, especially the flying ones.
    davyK wrote:
    I think the length of the levels and the collecting aspect of the game put me off.

It's a collect-a-thon alright, with the correct amount of red dots required to open up the exit. It feels like a poor man's Mickey Mania (in turn a poor man's Vectorman), or a similarly financially comfortable man's Plok, with the same 'IDGI' reaction from me (the fuss, I mean, about Plok - you bunch of odd-bods).

I'll go back to it in a few days, but I won't be finishing this one.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!