Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dear lord - Demon Attack rolls over at 1 million - felt it would have done that at 100K. Hardcore. Looked up a hiscore comp at atariage - winner notched up over 300K - though it was game 3 with steerable bullets...

You get to a point with 2600 games when the difficulty plateaus and then it's a case of endurance.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 5200 Keystone Kapers. In my defence, I only just realised the character can duck. Seems fun.

Couldn't beat my Summer Games scores.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - not ducking is a problem once the planes start appearing!!

Once you catch the thief about 3 times it really starts to crank up in difficulty and gets rather addictive. It's a pity you can't jump straight to that level of difficulty.

Always worth keeping an eye on the lift in the radar as that helps with the decision on whether to use it or not. It's a fine line between it being a short cut or not if you have to wait for it.

• davyK wrote:
    You get to a point with 2600 games when the difficulty plateaus and then it's a case of endurance.
    back when i was a nipper and had an actual 2600, i was playing asteroids once and was utterly in the zone, went passed my normal scores and it must have got to that plateau, i was crushing my best score many times over (for some reason the figure 18million has always been in my head for my score, but just looked up high scores on the internet and it seems even 180000 would have been very unlikely)...anyway, whatever score i was up to was far better than anyone else had achieved, and i was even able to mention the incredible score to my dad as he came in the room...then he walked behind me and 'tripped' over the power lead for the console, knocking it out of the wall.  i was so upset i'm not sure i could bring myself to play asteroids again...to make it worse, there's always been a slight suggestion it was deliberate sabotage on account of the father, he was a very competitive man! :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks their dad may have stooped to sabotage. I'm still convinced mine loaded up my save file on Blue Max when I was one kill behind the Red Baron. When I got home from school one day my pilot was MIA (which means he may have gone to the trouble of landing in no-man's-land, the bastard).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    18M in 2600 Asteroids is quite possible. It clocks at 100K and doesn't really get much more difficult past maybe 70 or 80K as far as I can remember. As a kid I started playing variations that had 1UPs at 20K or no 1UPs at all which stacks the challenge up quite a bit and makes it hard to even hit 100K.

There was a variation called fast asteroids - in actual fact it changed the angles they could move at and it made the game far harder. Setting the difficulty switch to A enabled ufos which were the hardest part of the game.

I used to get into a real rhythm with some 2600 games and when that happened the game was effectively beaten as I could play until I got bored. Not all games were prone to that but most were once you learned a few tricks and got the timing right.

As I have aged those skills have left me, and I guess the fact that I am now burdened with life I can't exactly devote the time and dedication I had back then. Thing is it makes 2600 games more enjoyable for me now. One of gaming's greatest pleasures for me is kicking back with a game of Super Breakout and that great Atari paddle controller. Such a simple game that demands quite high attention and skill for a short burst of 5mins or so. Super Breakout also has some excellent variations such as progressive mode which has the wall advancing toward you as you play. It's as close to a definition of a hardcore game that I can come up with.

I'm a wee bit obsessed with the 2600. I don't play the games that often - but I will have a burst of activity on it from time to time and wouldn't be without one.

Not video game related - but my dad once started peeking at my colour sequence in Mastermind using the reflective properties of his shiny cigarette lighter.....he waited until I exploded before owning up...

• Does anyone remember the tv advert for the 2600? It featured some great 80's style rapping...

' Its the 26 hundred from Atar-ri,
    Its the video station with classics galore from space invaders to cars that roar,
    Its got a real hip control stick that controls the screen,
    And as its her its got a real great price, Under £50 (under £50!) well isn't that nice.
    The fun is back oh yes sir(ee) the 26hundred from Atar-ri!'

Some great memories there! I seem to have a skill for remembering sound tracks from my 'youf'

Now where's the youtube...
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Gotta love Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qAadfsJrmM

Just as I remembered it just without the 'bucks' (must have been a good conversion rate back then btw).
    Sorry for derailing the thread there!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    i can remember the ads with Morcambe and Wise in them. Weird.

• Wowzers, that must have been before my time, or at least before I had full coordindation over my hands!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

I'm rather old....was in my late teens when I got a 2600.
  • 9065 on Demon attack.  I was hoping to pip Davy to the post this evening, leaving no time for riposte, but I've had a frustrating time with it tonight.  Well played - I may have another go during the Firemen fortnight, but obviously victory is yours.

Edit: Forgot to mention that this is probably my favourite 2600 game now.  I didn't even have a chance to play Pitfall II this week - whenever I loaded the emulator I found myself drawn to Demon Attack.
  • What games did you 2 post scores for? Will play them this evening and post up some scores! Sorry for my lack of participation this week, been distracted by other things.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot was close....but no cigar.

I posted these earlier but for your convenience:
    Keystone Kapers - 21200
    Demon Attack - 11655
    Summer Games
    Hurdles 26.1
    100m 14.2
    Galaxian (game 4) - 9880 (got to level 7)
    Defender 2 - 26150 (got to wave 6)

@Moot_Geeza Thought you would have liked Demon Attack. It has a certain something - very more-ish.

• Cheers, will put in hour or so in this evening on a few of those. Is that Defender II?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    yeah - Defender 2 (aka Stargate if you are using an emu and NTSC ROM).

• Will update this to The Firemen when I get home. Looks good from the vids I've seen.

Will also play Pitfall II.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Years ago I had a chance to pick up The Firemen CIB from a rental shop that was closing down - left it back on the shelf as I had never heard of it. Worth a few bob now I believe. I will be emulating this one.

Pitfall 2 is quite good but the music is bloody awful - you will be reaching for the volume control. An attempt at music on a 2600 was brave, and probably technically quite fun for David Crane, but he should have made it optional.

The 2600's sound capability has shortcomings to say the least - there are certain notes it can't play so while that isn't really an issue for sound effects it is for any attempt at a tune.
  • Demon Attack - 9730

What an absolute stunning game! I didn't think in 2014 that I would be making adjustments to my Top Atari 2600 games but this is easily up there. At first it seems like just another generic Atari clone shooter but once you get into it there's a real rhythm and feel to the madness. The 1-up aspect is implemented superbly and gives you that extra motivation to regain concentration for the next wave.

5/5
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Defender 2 - 26650

Love me some Defender!
    5/5

Keystone Kapers - 6900

Quite a fun little game but very frustrating getting to the edge of the screen and have an obstacle come in at the last second without giving you time to react.
    3/5

Summer Games
    Hurdles 25.0
    100m 12.8
    Couldn't possilby rate this, I'm sure it was very good for its day though, looks like it has a decent varity of events.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • All scores attained via the Stella emulator using an N64 pad, take from that what you will - especially the Summer Games Scores.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Forty eight (fortnight): The Firemen (SNES)

Human Entertainment's top down firefighting action game from 1994.  You control Pete, who must douse flames, deal with smoke and rescue civilians, amongst other exciting disaster/emergency things.  Disappointingly, Wikipedia doesn't give a name for the second character.

Looks pretty good, Youtube comments suggest it's well loved.  The phrase 'hidden gem' has been spotted.

Apparently it had a sequel on Playstation.  I remember playing Rosco McQueen, but Burning Rangers passed me by, so including the Firefighters game on Wii this will be my third videogame stint as a Jake, unless I'm forgetting something. 

Play and discuss, or simply reminisce.

Schedule:

Fantasy Zone Free Choice - Various (03/03)
    Super Punch-Out! - SNES (10/03)
    Jurassic Park Free Choice - Various (24/03)
    Atari 2600 High Score Week Returns (31/03)
    The Firemen - SNES (07/04)
    Powerdrive - Various (21/04)
    Obscure NES Month, 5 games (05/05)
    Wildcard Week (02/06)
    Cool Spot - Various (09/06)
    C64 Week - (23/06)
    Blackthorne - Various (30/06)
    Solstice - SNES (14/07)
    Derivative Platformer Fortnight - Various (28/07)
    R-Type III - SNES (11/08)
    Kirby Fortnight - Various (18/08)
    Wonderboy Fortnight - Various (01/09)
    Chakan The Forever Man - Megadrive (15/09)
    Wildcard Week (29/09)
    Pilotwings Fortnight - Various (13/10)
    Prince of Persia - Various (27/10)
    Pinball Week - Various (10/11)
    Wildcard Week - Master System (17/11)
    Obscure NES Month Returns, 5 Games - (24/11)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @retroking81 - you must be getting slow Sir. I haven't had any issue with responding to stuff in Keystone Kapers - I always felt I jumped too early or late - always felt time I had to respond though...

Delighted to have introduced 2 more Demon Attack fans to the world of 2600.
  • I wasn't much cop at that game either - it was the planes you have to duck, I seemed to repeatedly run into them just as I was about to leave the screen and they emerged on it.  Unless they're visible on the map, in which case it wasn't bad luck, just bad judgement.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a set period between the planes - you can count it out by the number of paces you take before the 2nd one (and 3rd one later on) appears. Once you get that timing right - you notice there's a bit of time after the last pace before it appears and can't resist trying to fine tune it - squeezing a wee bit more distance in before ducking. It's old school risk and reward as the planes are the only obstacle that take one of your lives. The others take a chunk off the timer so you can hit a couple of those before the timer runs out and takes a life off you.
  • yeah thats the same problem I had @Moot_Geeza, still a good game though.

Cheers for the Demon Attack suggestion @davyK I enjoyed it

Will be up for The Firemen this week, might even give the Ignition Factor a quick go for a comparison.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • dd anyone play this back in the day?

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Yes, but the name doesn't ring a bell. The character and rotating tower are familiar though.

Edit: A Google search suggests it was released on other consoles as Castelian, but I'm not sure I played that either. Perhaps I just remember it from magazines.
  • Before we fully move on from Atari I have a quick question for davy

davyK wrote:
    yeah - Defender 2 (aka Stargate if you are using an emu and NTSC ROM).

I have cart for both Defender II and Stargate, never got the Stargate one to work. I take it its an NTSC cart then?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!