Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • Crikey, this game is tough. It's taking roughly 30 minutes to beat each opponent now, reverting to a save state at the start of the stage every time I die. I've just beaten Super Macho Man, easily the hardest character so far, but nothing else seems to have opened up. Retroking said I'm only just over two thirds through. What happens now? Do I need better times to unlock the rest or something?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Have you encountered the old guy with the walking stick yet? He's a bastard. You have to unlock the Special Circuit.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Nope, not seen a walking stick yet.
  • Assume PC emu is the way to go with this?
  • davyK wrote:
    Have you encountered the old guy with the walking stick yet? He's a bastard. You have to unlock the Special Circuit.

You have to go undefeated right?

On a side note here's a bit of a Punch Out spinoff from 1985:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arm_Wrestling_(video_game)
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'm pretty sure I went undefeated, due to the constant re-loading whenever I got KO'd. Will check tomorrow. PC emu is definitely the least troublesome Workid.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Yeah - think you need and 4-0 record on each circuit.

• giphy.gif
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Lol. Cheers moot, on it now.
  • 12 wins 0 losses for me according to the menu screen. Will have to check Gamefaqs to see what I'm doing wrong as I can't see a special circuit.
  • It seems that the Super Circuit isn't unlockable on the ROM. Oh well, was bundles of fun while it lasted.

92%.
  • Forty six: Jurassic Park week

A few games to choose from this week.  There were numerous Jurassic Park games in the early-mid nineties.  Sega opted for a platform shooter (which received 87%, iirc, in a little booklet that came with Mean Machines Sega), and the SNES played host to a top down shooter/FPS hybrid, which was well received.  Then you've got Rampage editions, the highly rated Mega CD point 'n clicker, 8-bit ports and whatnot. 

I'm shunning my traditional oldskool percentages rating system this week, in favour of a simple thumbs up or thumbs down in GIF form, and I openly encourage participants to join me in this animated ratings system.

Bad:

tumblr_m5kr8icjvA1rnde1eo1_500.gif

Awesome:

tumblr_mhofti5EAi1rx9233o4_250.gif

Play and discuss, or simply reminisce.

Schedule:

Fantasy Zone Free Choice - Various (03/03)
    Super Punch-Out! - SNES (10/03) Jurassic Park Free Choice - Various (24/03)
    Atari 2600 High Score Week Returns (31/03)
    The Firemen - SNES (07/04)
    Powerdrive - Various (21/04)
    Obscure NES Month, 5 games (05/05)
    Wildcard Week (02/06)
    Cool Spot - Various (09/06)
    C64 Week - (23/06)
    Blackthorne - Various (30/06)
    Solstice - SNES (14/07)
    Derivative Platformer Fortnight - Various (28/07)
    R-Type III - SNES (11/08)
    Kirby Fortnight - Various (18/08)
    Wonderboy Fortnight - Various (01/09)
    Chakan The Forever Man - Megadrive (15/09)
    Wildcard Week (29/09)
    Pilotwings Fortnight - Various (13/10)
    Prince of Persia - Various (27/10)
    Pinball Week - Various (10/11)
    Wildcard Week - Master System (17/11)
    Obscure NES Month Returns, 5 Games - (24/11)
  • Annoyingly, a glitch on my Caanoo has put a halt to my progress through the Master System version of Jurassic Park, which was shaping up to be quite good.  The graphics are simplistic, but it's quite playable, moreso than the Megadrive version imo.

Plus the intro was quite snazzy:

I'll start again on a more reliable emulator tomorrow.  I have absolutely no idea why the device is struggling to access the MS files, they're in the same folder they've always been in and everything else still works.  Odd.  I was just about to kill a Triceratops boss too.
  • Ha, I fixed it by reloading the original set-up and transferring the ROM/save state.  I'm getting better at this open source lark.
  • Dam this was my suggestion week but not sure if I will have time to play. I will try and find time in the weekend.

I had both the Mega Drive and Amiga versions as a kid. I loved both but never progressed far on the Amiga. The Snes version I found unplayable during the fps bits.
  • I forgot about the Amiga one, my mate had that.  I meant to make this a fortnight, but I fucked up almost as soon as I started jotting dates down.  Sorry Live. 

Three levels into the MS game.  I'm starting to wonder if I can't tell a great 8-bit game from an above average one these days - the last three I've played (Batman Returns on MS, Shatterhand on NES and now this) have really impressed me.  Even the rails shooting sections are fun.
  • No apologies needed. I think I will try and tackle the MD version again unless someone can point me toward a psp friendly Amiga emu.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    SNES JP was top lolz.  Interior sections were SUPA CREEPY BOIIIIIII
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • SNES one was top lolz compared the MD one.  MS version was topper lolz than both though, so much so that I award it the coveted:

18jotp4beg26rgif.gif

I just finished it and it's one of the best platform shooters on the console.  Even the three weapon system works well.  I'm not 100% sure who made it, Sega I guess, although I suppose it could be one of those unofficial Brazilian type jobbies.  Credits had a mixture of Asian names and people called John.
  • Played the MD JP for a bit tonight.  This is what I thought when I chose it for the 'shit games week' last year:

Jurassic Park [5]

Poor.  I'm shocked this was made by the same team as Vectorman.  Some effort seems to have been spent on the animation and cut-scenes, but there was very little to like about the basic sub-Prince of Persia meets Alien 3 gameplay.

I agree with the score tbh, but I did enjoy it a touch more this time.  It's the sort of game that deserved a mark in the low 80s/high 70s going by review scores of the day, but I remember mags being a little more generous with it at the time.  It's not bad, but its faults are pretty evident without the nostalgia.  It's a billion times better than most MD games I played that week, and the fact that I gave it the same score as Rastan Saga 2 just shows I was in a bad mood with it, probably because I was secretly hoping I'd like it.  

Anyway, it gets one of these:

1255.gif
  • Ha ha. Good scoring system
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Davy/Retroking etc, can you pick a handful of 2600 games for next week's hi-score challenge please?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Will do. Will see what has been used already and post back.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Demon Attack - vertical shmup. Pretty tough - enemies start to split into two in later levels
    Dodge 'Em - really early collect the dots maze game. Pre-dates Pacman by quite some time.
    H.E.R.O. - late release. Excellent tunnel descent game. 
    Jawbreaker - decent pacman-a-like. Different enough to be worth a look.
    Keystone Kapers - cop chases thief through shop - platformer.
    Megamania - quality vertical shmup.
    Pitfall 2 - massive advance made over the original. Good sized cavern to explore.
    Pressure Cooker - action and light puzzle game. Splendid late release.

go to www.atariage.com for info on game variations. (legally available ROMS there too).
  • Cheers.  I think Retro's gonna add a couple, then I'll probably pick five from the lists and sort it out for tomorrow.
  • Put 40 minutes into the SNES Jurassic Park yesterday.  It is (or perhaps more specifically, was) a very good game as far as I can tell, but would require too much patience and map learning for me to realistically get through it without concerted effort.  I'm in two minds about the FPS sections - technically, they're marvellous, especially to the eyes of a 16-bit gamer who had the dull sparseness of Corporation on his side of the fence (SNES JP looks a damn sight better than later MD efforts like Zero Tolerance too), but they just don't play that well.  The actual shooting is extremely basic, and although they pushed the boundaries of what was possible on the machine to an extent, most 16-bit FPS sections don't hold up these days, past the initial 'wow, impressive' reaction that I'm lucky enough to still have.  I'm probably being harsh here, but Ocean's programmers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should, from a gameplay perspective anyways. 

So SNES Jurassic Park gets this, for the well above average top-down gameplay being slightly spoiled by the cumbersome interior sections:

tumblr_lw914lKCkX1qcga5ro1_500.gif

...and that concludes the 'ploughing my own furrow' week.  I've had my fun, and that's all that matters :).
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Cheers.  I think Retro's gonna add a couple, then I'll probably pick five from the lists and sort it out for tomorrow.

I haven't got many of what davy listed, are some of those paddle control only as well @davyK?

I can't remember what we played last time and can only really vote for what I own:
    Missle Command
    Asteroids
    Centipede
    Defender
    Defender II
    Frogger
    Skiing
    Vanguard
    Galaxian
    Laser Blast
    Summer Games
    all 3 Pac Man games...

think they the best suited ones for high scores that I have. Happy to do whatever though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Do you have Atari emulators for other games retro?

Summer Games is definitely in, as is Keystone Kapers.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Stella is piss easy to use and the ROMs are in plain view at atariage.com - I assume it being a mainstream site that there is no problem with that.

I am lucky enough to own a Harmony cartridge so I can play whatever I choose on the real hardware if the notion takes me - though NTSC games have weird colours.

I have deliberately left paddle games out as the mouse is a poor substitute if emulating. Kaboom! , Circus Atari and Super Breakout are excellent but unplayable without the real hardware. One game that plays well with the mouse is Solar Storm - a paddle controlled vertical shmup that folks might like to try out.

I also left out arcade ports mostly because people already know them but those listed by retroking are the better ones. Defender 1 is worth a look to see how bad a job it was - especially compared to the excellent effort that Defender 2 is. (Having said that  , I had Defender 1 back in the day and played the crap out of it). Would be worth adding Millipede as a companion to Centipede for comparison. There are several versions of Frogger - if you are using Stella you can play Supercharger games and that port is particularly good.

Empire Strikes Back is worth a look too - nice hori shooter - played that quite a bit.

The big thing to remember  about 2600 games is to refer to the manual at atariage - as quite often the default variation 1 isn't the best to play. I'll check that out once Moot picks the five.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Do you have Atari emulators for other games retro?

Atari and N64 are the worst emulated consoles for me. Nothing but the N64 pad feels right for its games and nothing beats playing Atari on a nice 15" crt TV with the lights out, something about them that can't be replicated as much as other consoles.

I'm happy to try out a couple of davyK's games on emulation but I wanna do at least one of mine for the authentic experience. Maybe Defender I & II like davy recommended?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!